The Student Room Group

What is the definition of an antibody?

What would an exam answer be?
Reply 1
as an antibody is a technically a noun, a physical "thing", it can only be defined by it's functions/physical appearances I think. It's a bit of an odd question. I would just describe its functions as that's what you learn. Not sure about physical appearance as I can't remember learning that. Usually the physical appearance relates to it's function(s).
How about that?

antibodies are proteins which are a part of the immune system with the function to protect the organism against pathogenic agents.
Reply 3
Original post by Kallisto
How about that?

antibodies are proteins which are a part of the immune system with the function to protect the organism against pathogenic agents.

yes, that will do
Original post by Freddie1M
yes, that will do

I thought that it would be better to add the lock and key model, but I guess that is too much for a definition only.
Reply 5
Original post by abbie4321
What would an exam answer be?

Antibodies are types of proteins called immunoglobulins. They are secreted by B-lymphocytes in response to the presence of specific antigens. Antibodies therefore act against foreign particles such as bacteria and viruses which invade the body.
Each antibody has a specific antigen binding site made of specific sequences of amino-acids providing attachment positions for complementary antigens. Antibodies label antigens for destruction by lymphocytes.

My name is Maritsa and I would like you to comment on my answer. Kind regards

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending