The Student Room Group

Higher chemistry 2014-2015

Higher chemistry(cfe and old) discussion thread 2014-2015

So the higher chemistry exam is coming up, I thought this thread might be helpful~

Resources:

Past papers-
http://www.new.chemistry-teaching-resources.com/PastPapers.html

General-
https://www.khanacademy.org/science/chemistry

Data Booklet-
http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/39857.html

Scroll to see replies

Well which one do we use:tongue:
Original post by wordshark
Well which one do we use:tongue:

Don't mind~ idk how to delete a thread 0.0

I saw you in the higher physics and maths discussion thread xDD!

What other subjects did you take?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Junioh
Don't mind~ idk how to delete a thread 0.0

I saw you in the higher physics and maths discussion thread xDD!

What other subjects did you take?

English and History but I'm dropping them next year and doing AH's in the others.

How about you?
English and History but I'm dropping them next year and doing AH's in the others.

How about you?

This year I took English(Nat 5), Maths, Chemistry, Human Biology and Physics

I was going to take AH Maths, Chemistry and Biology next year... Well, after the disastrous maths exam this morning and the terrible human biology exam last week, I'm not sure to be honest :/
Guys give me tips please...is it a wise idea to simply do past papers for chemistry or should i go over the whole course then do it
i havent done many past papers before...maybe only 1 or 2
Original post by HiddenNinja01
Guys give me tips please...is it a wise idea to simply do past papers for chemistry or should i go over the whole course then do it

For sciences I would always say it's best just to go over as many past papers as possible. If you see yourself struggling with a particular topic during the past papers then note it down and revise it. Also it may be worth going over your PPA's. Nevertheless, if you've got the time to spare then it wouldn't hurt to look over some course notes.
Reply 7
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432155098.289715.jpg Is it me or is the answer D and not B

Posted from TSR Mobile

In chemistry there's a limited number of questions they can ask, so i would recommend doing past papers.
Original post by Merv97
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432155098.289715.jpg Is it me or is the answer D and not B

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah.
For sciences I would always say it's best just to go over as many past papers as possible. If you see yourself struggling with a particular topic during the past papers then note it down and revise it. Also it may be worth going over your PPA's. Nevertheless, if you've got the time to spare then it wouldn't hurt to look over some course notes.

Thanks! :smile:
I generally find past papers more useful
Reply 11
Yeah.

So the answer is D??, marking scheme is wrong me and my teacher saw this aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile
can someone explain these 2 questions, i have either forgotten or i'm just stupid or both lol
Ctsr.png
can someone explain these 2 questions, i have either forgotten or i'm just stupid or both lol
Ctsr.png

1) It tells you what isoelectronic means (same electron arrangement). So which option has two elements in it with the same electron arrangement as each other?

2) NaCl - 0.6 mol of Chloride ions. ration of Na:Cl is 1:1 so there are 0.6 mol of Na ions

Na2SO4 - 0.2 mol of sulphate ions. ratio of Na: SO4 is 2:1 so there are 0.4 mol of Na ions

0.6 + 0.4 = 1 so D :smile:
Original post by StuartM9_
1) It tells you what isoelectronic means (same electron arrangement). So which option has two elements in it with the same electron arrangement as each other?

2) NaCl - 0.6 mol of Chloride ions. ration of Na:Cl is 1:1 so there are 0.6 mol of Na ions

Na2SO4 - 0.2 mol of sulphate ions. ratio of Na: SO4 is 2:1 so there are 0.4 mol of Na ions

0.6 + 0.4 = 1 so D :smile:

Thanks! but for 1 none matched up, unless im doing it wrong :/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Merv97
So the answer is D??, marking scheme is wrong me and my teacher saw this aswell
Posted from TSR Mobile

It can't be A or B because you need to balance the equation and it can't be C because you can't have more water molecules than hydrogen ions.
Thanks! but for 1 none matched up, unless im doing it wrong :/

Remember that to become an ion an atom must either lose or gain electrons depending on its arrangement.
So if one atom had an arrangement of 2,8,7 then it's ion would have an arrangement of 2,8,8
If another had an arrangement of 2,8,8,1 then it's ion would have an arrangement of 2,8,8 too, and they would be isoelectronic
Anyone doing the CfE higher?
Original post by jonathan14
Anyone doing the CfE higher?

Yeah I am :smile: is the course not quite similar to the old higher?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It can't be A or B because you need to balance the equation and it can't be C because you can't have more water molecules than hydrogen ions.

Wait I would have said B. You put 3 H20 on the right to balance the 3 O on the left and then put 6 H on the left to balance the 6 H you added on the right. I'm pretty sure that's how we were taught how to do it unless I'm missing something?

Quick Reply

Latest