The Student Room Group

Higher chemistry 2014-2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Junioh
The Noble gases(Group 0, or sometimes called Group 8) exist as monatomic elements.
Helium
Neon
Argon
Krypton
Xenon
Radon

Thanks, ill keep that in mind too
Original post by HiddenNinja01
Thanks, ill keep that in mind too

You're welcome~:smile:
I think the group 0/8 metals elements are the only monatomic gases in the periodic table.
Original post by Junioh
You're welcome~:smile:
I think the group 0/8 metals elements are the only monatomic gases in the periodic table.

Thanks, ill keep that in mind too :smile:
Reply 43
Another way to remember diatomic elements is I Have No Bright Or Clever Friends!

How many years are you guys going back to on the past papers? For old higher :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jonathan14
Can anyone explain to me what the best way of 'solving' this type of problem is. I can never work out or see what element/compound is gaining electrons and what one is losing them. Thanks

Elements in group 1, 2 and 3 usually lose electrons (metals)
Elements in group 5, 6 and 7 usually gain electrons (non-metals)
Elements in group 0/8 are monatomic(unreactive)
Elements in group 4 can lose/gain electrons
Original post by Ed2015
Another way to remember diatomic elements is I Have No Bright Or Clever Friends!

How many years are you guys going back to on the past papers? For old higher :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol! That's another good way of remembering them!
I'm planning to do past papers from 2003-2014(all the past papers I found)
Original post by Ed2015

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats a great way too, lol thanks!
And im planning to do as many as i could, realistically from 2014 to 2007
Reply 47
No probs! :smile:
I am just doing as many as possible. Anyone else notice the questions are always repeated? Hope this years the same

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ed2015
I am just doing as many as possible. Anyone else notice the questions are always repeated? Hope this years the same

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I realized that, not just in chemistry but also in physics. The first question of the old higher physics paper this year is exactly the same as one of the past paper questions. It was also the first question of that past paper! (not complaining btw :tongue:
Are you doing the old higher?
Original post by Ed2015

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah thats why pastpapers are so good for sciences. If you do loads and loads of MC you can guarantee yourself at least 35/40 for that section in the exam!
Original post by Junioh
Yeah I realized that, not just in chemistry but also in physics. The first question of the old higher physics paper this year is exactly the same as one of the past paper questions. It was also the first question of that past paper! (not complaining btw :tongue:
Are you doing the old higher?

That 'which of these is a scalar/vector' question seems to be on almost every physics paper in various forms.
Original post by wordshark
That 'which of these is a scalar/vector' question seems to be on almost every physics paper in various forms.

True... It was in my prelim too~
Original post by Pennyarcade
Yeah thats why pastpapers are so good for sciences. If you do loads and loads of MC you can guarantee yourself at least 35/40 for that section in the exam!

haha! I will try my best to do all the past paper I could find!
I personally think that 40 multiple choices are too much.. Some even require long workings. Biology used to have 30 multiple choices, physics are always 20 but there are 5 options instead of 4, so you've only got 1/5 chance of getting the question right... Maths is even worse, the multiple choices are worth 2 marks each, which is insane! They don't even look at your working!
Original post by Junioh
haha! I will try my best to do all the past paper I could find!
I personally think that 40 multiple choices are too much.. Some even require long workings. Biology used to have 30 multiple choices, physics are always 20 but there are 5 options instead of 4, so you've only got 1/5 chance of getting the question right... Maths is even worse, the multiple choices are worth 2 marks each, which is insane! They don't even look at your working!

I think its too much aswell, but it favours the people who have sweated out the pastpapers so heyho :tongue:
Original post by Pennyarcade
I think its too much aswell, but it favours the people who have sweated out the pastpapers so heyho :tongue:

True :biggrin:
Can anyone explain to me what the best way of 'solving' this type of problem is. I can never work out or see what element/compound is gaining electrons and what one is losing them. Thanks
(Picture didn't upload in my last post)
Reply 56
Yeah I am doing Old higher!
See if i got roughly 35 on multi choice how much would i need in paper 2 to pass, or get a B?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ed2015
Yeah I am doing Old higher!
See if i got roughly 35 on multi choice how much would i need in paper 2 to pass, or get a B?

Posted from TSR Mobile

15 to pass, 25 to get a B. There are 100 marks in the old higher paper, so 1 mark = 1% :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by jonathan14
(Picture didn't upload in my last post)

This is a rough explanation but B is the right answer the hydrogen in the ionic compound has turned into a diatomic molecule. This means it has gained electrons. Therefore redox has occurred
do any of you guys have a link to every calculation formula in chemistry as this http://www.hsn.uk.net/forum/index.php?/topic/243-higher-chemistry-formulae/ hasnt covered it all,
Thanks alot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending