The Student Room Group

Is it fair that Oxbridge have multiple teams on University Challenge?

Recently, I submitted a piece for my university publication concerning the number of teams Oxbridge has on University Challenge. Given that it was an assigned debate in the commentariat which I thought would be fun, I had to take a particular stance. However, I'd like to know if anyone else has any thoughts on this matter, particularly from other universities.

http://www.cherwell.org/comment/opinion/2015/05/01/debate-is-it-fair-that-oxbridge-has-multiple-teams-on

Feel free to comment, like or dislike!
I think it makes sense just because if Oxford and Cambridge only sent one team each year, they would win every year. Until we see for example non-Oxbridge unis shutting out Oxbridge colleges consistently I think it makes sense Oxbridge is split into its respective colleges.

I think theres definitely a lack of drive and a feeling they won't make it in most large unis to try out for uni challenge which is why a lot of the bigger unis aka any uni that isn't an Oxbridge college doesn't actually field a team that is very good.
Reply 2
There are disadvantages as well to being split into colleges. Other universities can pick the best five students out of ten thousand for their team; Oxbridge colleges have to pick the best five out of a few hundred.

In any case, the colleges are much more important than halls anywhere else are. College JCRs are basically mini students unions of their own, while the actual students unions have no part to play in everyday social life. It's much easier to organise a University Challenge team within a college than across the university as a whole.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending