The Student Room Group

DSA Needs Assessment. Can I have another one?

Hello!

I'm new to this forum, but not new to disability and health issues. I had a DSA needs assessment last year, but suffered a serious health crisis this year resulting in new issues. I would love to have another assessment, but am not sure I'd be entitled to one as I've had one so recently. Does anyone have any experience with this and/or advice?

Thanks for reading!

Ziggy777
Reply 1
My own circumstances changed, so student finance sent me for a review assessment. It shouldn't be a problem if your evidence supports some changes.
Reply 2
Hi JaneKent and many thanks for the reply!

Oh, I see. I had no idea. How did you go about asking for a second assessment if you don't mind my asking? Did you get in touch with student finance first or the assessment centre or...? Oh yes, lots of evidence that supports the changes unfortunately.

Ziggy777
Reply 3
You reapply for DSA each year sending the usual evidence each time. In my case the evidence had changes with some new condition added so student finance asked for the review, you don't need to ask for the review if there are changes, its automatic, or was for me. I had mine in April, and the new arrangements have just been agreed by SF. This is in addition to the existing support, not instead of. Hope thats helpful :smile:
Reply 4
JaneKent hi and thank you so much for that.

I wasn't aware you reply for DSA each year; I mean I've filled in the short application form but I didn't think a long one was needed! Aha, therein lies the answer then.

Brilliant, that's very helpful yes. Will send the evidence in with an application.

Ziggy777
Reply 5
You tick the box to say you want to claim DSA again for your continuation years, and they ask you to send the usual evidence. The form wasn't as long as the initial one if i recall correctly, but then i have a dreadful memory. Give them a call, they should be able to help :smile:
Reply 6
Will do, thanks so much JaneKent. I'll attach the evidence to the short form and maybe write them a cover letter too. It's so good that support exists.

Ziggy777
Reply 7
You don't need to send evidence in each year to re-apply for DSA, you just tick the 'continue DSA' boix on the finance application. If your needs change you can submit further evidence to SFE and they will review it. If they then agree you can go back to the centre that did your previous assessment to discuss further support and this will normally be emailed to SFE as an update to the previous report. if agreed an update DSA2 entitlement letter is sent out as before.
Reply 8
NJones hi and many thanks for reading and replying.

Ah! I thought I needed to send it the short DSA application form each year.... Now I'm thoroughly confused. So now that my needs have changed for example I send in evidence and a cover letter stating that and asking for another assessment?

Ziggy777
Reply 9
Original post by ziggy777
NJones hi and many thanks for reading and replying.

Ah! I thought I needed to send it the short DSA application form each year.... Now I'm thoroughly confused. So now that my needs have changed for example I send in evidence and a cover letter stating that and asking for another assessment?

Ziggy777

Yes, as far as I am aware ticking the box on your finance application for DSA to continue should do just that. If you have further evidence/ change of needs send it in for them to look at.
Reply 10
Hi NJones and many thanks for the reply.

I gave SFE a call today and they said I should send in the evidence, but if it doesn't automatically trigger a re-assessment then perhaps to contact the assessment centre directly. But would the assessment centre re-assess without clearance from SFE?

I posted another thread about significant need changes etc as well, because that's another point I'm unclear on; what constitutes a significant need change sufficient to trigger another assessment...

Ziggy777
In my case I developed a new condition, as a complication of the existing one, both conditions are valid for DSA purposes in their own right, so it triggered a review assessment. DSA within SF are generally more approachable than general SF. I found where my consultants were very specific about how the condition effected my ability to study that SF were supportive in the application.
Reply 12
Hi JaneKent and many thanks for the reply and info.

Ah! I see! See I guess that's another question I have, that my consultants write very detailed reports but not about how anything affects my ability to study per se.

Just for a quick example, I have a condition where my hands and feet turn deep red, throbbing hot, and swell to the point that I can't use them during attacks. My consultant's letter says what meds he's tried for it, what tests he's done and what happens during attacks (pain/swelling/redness/heat) versus how I can't write or type etc when an attack is happening.

Do you think I need to include how conditions affect studies in a cover letter to DSA or ask the consultants for more detailed study-oriented reports or there's no need for anything other than factual reports like that?

Ziggy777
Send what you have, if student finance want more info they will ask and at that point you can contact your consultants asking them to be very specific. More likely Student finance will be fine, you get a review assessment and the assessors will establish with you what has changed and what can be done to support you. I know its an anxious time but try not to worry too much :smile:
Reply 14
Thanks JaneKent!

You're right; just been trying to get organised really and do it right as so much has changed since last time :smile:

Ziggy777
Reply 15
With my evidence, my GP wrote a covering letter which explained the study impacts of my problem, and he attached the consultants' reports to support what he was saying.

Maybe your GP can help with a more tailored letter as well?
Reply 16
Things have changed recently to a 'single assessment fee'. This means that the assessment centre that did your assessment of needs will be expected to assess any further needs or changes at no extra cost to SFE. However, they are often unaware if the evidence has been approved, so it makes sense for you to submit it first to find out.
Reply 17
Hi Klix88 and many thanks for the reply. My GP surgery charges 25-40 pounds for letters, so if I could avoid paying that I would like to. However if it's necessary of course I'll get a letter from the GP as well...!

Hi NJones and many thanks for your reply. Oh! Is that single assessment fee the same for students who aren't starting in 2015, but earlier?! Had no idea. Lots of things seem to be changing with DSA these days...

Ziggy777

Quick Reply

Latest