The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature A2 Exam 11th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

I'm hoping a gender question will come up for poetry! *prays*
Original post by Elvish
Oh gosh, me too! I've avoided critics like the plague- I've only really learnt a few about the women in Hamlet. I really wish we had the texts for the exam, I think 3 is very harsh! By the way, which history course did your school pick? We do Elizabeth I and it is honestly the most boring thing I've ever done!

Yeah we did Elizabeth toooo, just finished the exam!! Hope you found it okay, I'm so so glad it's finally over :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KimonoMyHouse
I'm hoping a gender question will come up for poetry! *prays*

Who are you studying for poetry???
Original post by gingerlucy
Who are you studying for poetry???

Chaucer's The Wife of Bath's Prologue and Tale :smile: You?
Chaucer's The Wife of Bath's Prologue and Tale :smile: You?

Oh yeah! sorry, you did say haha, didn't notice!

I'm doing Blake! :smile:
Anyone doing Tempest/Faustus? Any idea what questions are likely to come up. I know Monstrosity and Romance haven't been given in a while, but my teacher kept saying she thinks it'll be Magic. Many thanks in advance!
I hope sex or power comes up for poetry - Wife of bath *finger's crossed*
Original post by Faith.A
I hope sex or power comes up for poetry - Wife of bath *finger's crossed*

Yes, power would be ideal!
Hey guys im studying King Lear and Oedipus Rex with Blake as poetry, does anyone have any predictions as to what the king Lear questions will be?
Oh god we're doing Lear too... Absolutely no idea about potential Qs! I'm doomed!
Original post by Gharper1997
Hey guys im studying King Lear and Oedipus Rex with Blake as poetry, does anyone have any predictions as to what the king Lear questions will be?
I know I feel like im quite confident with Blake, but King Lear is just so difficult!
Need help, yet again.

For Blake's poetry (anyone doing poetry could answer though):

If writing for example, about "The Tyger" in one paragraph, is it a good or bad idea to also compare it to "The Lamb" if it helps you to explain something? Or, should you only write about one of Blake's poems in a single paragraph and only use the unseen poem to compare and contrast?
Reply 72
Original post by letthesunshine
Yeah we did Elizabeth toooo, just finished the exam!! Hope you found it okay, I'm so so glad it's finally over :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought it was pretty mixed? I was hoping for an A* but I don't think I put enough stats in for the first question? Did you do 1 and 2?
Original post by Gharper1997

I was talking to my friend earlier (who is also doing King Lear/Oedipus Rex) and we were thinking that Law/Justice, Madness/Suffering, Gender or Fate/Destiny might come up (just based on what they have asked in the past). PLEASE don't take my word for it though!
Reply 74
Is anyone studying wuthering heights?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was talking to my friend earlier (who is also doing King Lear/Oedipus Rex) and we were thinking that Law/Justice, Madness/Suffering, Gender or Fate/Destiny might come up (just based on what they have asked in the past). PLEASE don't take my word for it though!

Ooh I've done essays on fate and madness/suffering, fate was my best one so if it came up I'd be really happy.

Need help, yet again.

For Blake's poetry (anyone doing poetry could answer though):

If writing for example, about "The Tyger" in one paragraph, is it a good or bad idea to also compare it to "The Lamb" if it helps you to explain something? Or, should you only write about one of Blake's poems in a single paragraph and only use the unseen poem to compare and contrast?

I think you can talk about more than one poem in a paragraph, my teacher said it shows that you have a full understanding of Blake's poetry. Also does everyone else just use the unseen poem for two poems? Cause I heard somewhere that you're meant to talk about it in every paragraph but surely that's not possible if it doesn't link to all of Blake's poems?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by futurejournalist
Ooh I've done essays on fate and madness/suffering, fate was my best one so if it came up I'd be really happy.

I think you can talk about more than one poem in a paragraph, my teacher said it shows that you have a full understanding of Blake's poetry. Also does everyone else just use the unseen poem for two poems? Cause I heard somewhere that you're meant to talk about it in every paragraph but surely that's not possible if it doesn't link to all of Blake's poems?

Thank you sooo much, I'm very relieved!
I'm not going to link the unseen poem in every paragraph, it's not worth that many marks! I think it's more important to link it in where it really does illuminate Blake, rather than just adding it on just for the sake of it! :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by vanessaodris
I wouldn't have thought ears or incest would come up alone, but presume they could be quite a large aspect of corruption or something? The theme of acting/metatheatricality specifically hasn't come up!

Hey what do you mean by the theme of ears?
Wow, it seems so obvious now haha, thank you again!

No problem, glad i could help - if want I have a few more quotes of ears and hearing....

Act 1 Scene 2 "Nor shall you do my ear that violence"
Act 1 Scene 3 "Too credent ear"
Act 2 Scene 2 "Takes prisoner Pyrrhus ear"
Act 2 Scene 2 "Cleave the general ear with horrid speech"
Act 3 Scene 2 "To spleet the ears"
Act 3 Scene 4 "Mildewed ear"
Act 4 Scene 2 "Knavish speech sleeps in a foolish ear"
Act 4 Scene 5 "To infect his ear with pestilent speeches"
Act 4 Scene 6 "I have word's to speak in thy ear will make thee dumb"
Original post by amyof
Hey what do you mean by the theme of ears?

Hey! I would say it's more of a motif than a theme tbh, but deffo still important. Someone yesterday posted some examples of quotations relating to ears, but a couple I have learnt from the text that have lodged in my mind are probs 'The whole ear of Denmark is by a forged process of my death rankly abused' and 'Here is your husband, like a mildewed ear, blasting his wholesome brother'. Basically the motif of ears is used to talk about propaganda and the idea of metaphorical (and obviously literal with the old king) 'poisoning' of people's minds and corruption.

Quick Reply

Latest