The Student Room Group

Heart attack or panic attack?

I get really bad stabbing pains in my heart and I have noclue what it is.I am in the middle of A-levels at the moment and so I havebeen assuming it is some sort of panic attack? Although I have never had them.
However it has started happening at times when I am completelycalm and not stressed at all.
I am quite skinny but I do eat quite a lot of cr*p (which isanother reason I think it might actually be a heart thing)…
I tried explaining all this to my mum and I suggested that Icould make myself separate/healthier meals but she freaked out! She is nowunder the impression that I am anorexic? (I’m not anorexic)
I’m not really sure how to approach the topic again withouther labelling me as a hypochondriac as well.
Do you reckon that if I go to the doctors they will alsothink I am an anorexic suffering from panic attacks?
I don’t want to be stuck with that label. But at the sametime, if this is a heart thing I need to get it sorted…
Advice???!!!
Reply 1
do you have pain down your left arm/shoulder?
Sharp chest pains could be quite serious,see your doctor. They would only think you have anorexia if you eat very low calories daily or have other mental signs,so they wont auromatically think of anoerixa.
Reply 3
Original post by Meesh14
do you have pain down your left arm/shoulder?

No. I think that's why my friends assume panic attack.

However my heart beat goes really irregular (really fast and then long pauses) :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
Sharp chest pains could be quite serious,see your doctor. They would only think you have anorexia if you eat very low calories daily or have other mental signs,so they wont auromatically think of anoerixa.

Do you reckon I should wait until after exams before going to see if it get better?
Reply 5
that can be normal then, its not a major issue if you have delays, just as long as its not all over the place lol
but keep calm though as you don't wanna stress now over a levels.
just keep a fresh clear mind and breathe/eat/sleep properly and revise efficiently to keep stress levels down :smile:
I suggest you visit your GP for advice:smile: I have panic attacks very often. the symptoms I suffer from are:
- Shortness in breath/difficulty breathing
-Palpitations
-Chest pain
-Light-headedness
-Claustrophobia
-Fear of losing sanity
Original post by Anonymous
Do you reckon I should wait until after exams before going to see if it get better?

No,i would get yourself checked out asap just in case:smile:
Edit: Just noticed you said you had tachycardia so definetly worth being looked at as that can be treated easily if they find the cause and you dont want to be in pain for exams when you dont have to be :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by PjsAndCoffee
I suggest you visit your GP for advice:smile: I have panic attacks very often. the symptoms I suffer from are:
- Shortness in breath/difficulty breathing
-Palpitations
-Chest pain
-Light-headedness
-Claustrophobia
-Fear of losing sanity

Original post by claireestelle
No,i would get yourself checked out asap just in case:smile:

Ok :smile:

Thanks!
Hi there,

Sorry to hear how you're feeling at the moment, but I think it's best that you see your doctor, if only to get to the bottom of what's going on for you at the moment.

I would imagine it's more likely to be a panic attack than a heart attack, given that it's happened during exam season (which, as I'm sure you already know, can be a very stressful time). And while you might think that your symptoms aren't those typically experienced by someone who has panic attacks, let me tell you that such symptoms are varied and very personal to the individual in question. When you say you feel calm and relaxed, it could well be that you're subconsciously troubled by exam stress, to the extent that your body is producing a physical reaction - i.e. the stabbing pains.

Your physical health (referring to your weight now) wouldn't, I don't think, have that much bearing on your physical symptoms, if it hasn't been a problem up to now. But, of course, you can always discuss your concerns about your weight when you see your doctor.

I wouldn't worry too much about your mum's reaction. Perhaps she was a little taken aback by your suggestion, because she wasn't fully aware of the reasoning behind it? I think if you found an appropriate time and place to broach the subject with her, she'd completely understand and 100% back you in finding out what the problem is.

As regards your doctor judging you, he/she is trained and paid to make a fair, objective assessment of the patient's health, and so shouldn't be quick to palm you off with some label. I'm sure that once you open up about your concerns, he/she will realise the gravity of the situation and work to help you as best as possible.

Good luck with your exams, wishing you good health :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I get really bad stabbing pains in my heart and I have noclue what it is.I am in the middle of A-levels at the moment and so I havebeen assuming it is some sort of panic attack? Although I have never had them.
However it has started happening at times when I am completelycalm and not stressed at all.
I am quite skinny but I do eat quite a lot of cr*p (which isanother reason I think it might actually be a heart thing)…
I tried explaining all this to my mum and I suggested that Icould make myself separate/healthier meals but she freaked out! She is nowunder the impression that I am anorexic? (I’m not anorexic)
I’m not really sure how to approach the topic again withouther labelling me as a hypochondriac as well.
Do you reckon that if I go to the doctors they will alsothink I am an anorexic suffering from panic attacks?
I don’t want to be stuck with that label. But at the sametime, if this is a heart thing I need to get it sorted…
Advice???!!!

That could be anything.
Could be palpitation from sitting too long and not getting enough potassium beforehand.
Could be some gastrovacular thing that is either benign or serious.

It's easy to say ask a doc but as you're stuck :s-smilie:...

drink some water and ask for a walk so you can get some blood flow and not stress the heart. People can and have died from sitting too long because it creates blood clots. Especially if they're not so healthy to begin with or didn't eat.

Perhaps you are dehydrated.

Could be so many things.

you seem to just need exercise - doesn't sound like you do much exercise, do you?

when heart beats like that, the best way to make it regular beating is do regular aerobic exercises like jogging, jump rope skipping, and other exercises that make you breathless - you dont have to do a lot of them, but just some amount everyday will help you a lot, and you will notice a difference in a week.
Its definitely not a heart attack, heart attacks almost never happen in people under 45.

You might have some sort of heart condition though.
There is any easy way to tell if it's a panic attack:

Does it feel as if the world is ending?

Other things include:
Hyper ventilation
Rising uncontrollable panic and the fear of it.
Fear of losing sanity like PJsandcoffee described.

I'd see your GP :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest