The Student Room Group

Are nuclear weapons a good idea?

This video by John Oliver has completely shocked me, the thought of one going off at any moment due to poor maintenance and if nuclear weapon safety is bad in America I can only imagine what its like in Russia. What are your opinions?

[video="youtube;1Y1ya-yF35g"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y1ya-yF35g[/video]
Reply 1
They are horrible but we should have them. The fact of the matter is that if any country has a poor defence, it runs the risk of simply being invaded, threatened etc. Thats the way the world works.
(edited 8 years ago)
And he has knowledge on the topic how?

There's never been an accidental explosion of a nuclear weapon as they're designed not to.

Are they good? Well that depends. They've kept the piece in the west but I wouldn't trust some non western nations to have them.
Reply 3
Nuclear weapons are not a good idea. However because it is possible to make them it is a necessity we have them to scare others outta using them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by TheAbyss
the thought of one going off at any moment due to poor maintenance

That's impossible.

Original post by MatureStudent36
And he has knowledge on the topic how?

There's never been an accidental explosion of a nuclear weapon as they're designed not to.

Because he has a team of highly capable journalists working for him. You know full well it's not hard to find out that kind of thing if you dig well enough.

And while there's never been an explosion, there have been small scale radiation leaks.

Are they a good idea? No, the concept of them is hideous and we wish they could be uninvented. However, having said that, they've worked. There has been no industrial scale war involving the entire globe since they were made.
Reply 5
No, peacekeeping has passed the point of no return, and any slip up or single incident involving nuclear weapons would be disastrous worldwide. Yes, they may temporarily keep the peace through fear, but it won't last, and in the long run, the world will feel the effects.
Ofc they are a good idea. But must be patented to NATO-only, bar those who have it already.
Original post by Drewski
That's impossible.

Because he has a team of highly capable journalists working for him. You know full well it's not hard to find out that kind of thing if you dig well enough.

And while there's never been an explosion, there have been small scale radiation leaks.

Are they a good idea? No, the concept of them is hideous and we wish they could be uninvented. However, having said that, they've worked. There has been no industrial scale war involving the entire globe since they were made.

I was hoping you were going to say he has a team of highly experienced weapons engineers working for him.

Out of interst, what was the micro severt reading for the leaks? There's a huge amount of confusion about measuring radiation.
Reply 8
Original post by MatureStudent36
I was hoping you were going to say he has a team of highly experienced weapons engineers working for him.

Out of interst, what was the micro severt reading for the leaks? There's a huge amount of confusion about measuring radiation.

Well, can't find any quoted numbers, but 40years after the incident the port area of Palomares is still showing signs of above average radiation. That doesn't seem insignificant to me.
Original post by Drewski
Well, can't find any quoted numbers, but 40years after the incident the port area of Palomares is still showing signs of above average radiation. That doesn't seem insignificant to me.

Just as an FYI. Oxford kicks out more rads than Fukishima.

There's a lot of paranoia about 'nuckear leaks.'

Watch this for a bit of an explanation.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora%27s_Promise

Design of weapons have changed after lessons were learnt.
Yes, the doctrine of MAD ensures there's no major wars.
Reply 11
Freedom for nukes. !

Nukes have rights too!

Nukes have no voice, they can't say no! How can it be consensual sex?!?!??!?
Original post by KCtwist
They are horrible but we should have them. The fact of the matter is that if any country has a poor defence, it runs the risk of simply being invaded, threatened etc. Thats the way the world works.

That country sure in the he'll doesn't have nukes if they dont have a very very strong defense and offense

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest