Original post by Gome44
Yes

what if it does not start from rest?
Reply 61
Original post by Trinh Hong Khanh
what if it does not start from rest?

No (I think) :smile:
Quick query if anyone is awake

When working out the forces acting on the axis of rotation (X - mgcos. .., Y - mgsin... etc) what's a clear way to know which way the signs are? I know X acts towards O and Y is tangent to motion, but if I had a uniform rod rotating about an axis then aren't the weight and X both acting towards O? But this doesnt seem to be true, markscheme says mgcos - X = ..

June 2014 Q5 for reference
Reply 63
Just leave your answers for both side. So the examiner will mark the correct one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pretty easy paper compared to the normal. What did you guys think?
Yup whats your answer ?
Struggling to remember answer.
1) a=3
2) F3 = (2, -1, -1), r =(1,0,1) + λ(2, -1,-1)
3) r = -(1/4)sect(cos2t+1)i
4) 2Mo
5) (2a/5g)?, 1/10 mg?
6) can't remember
7)2/5 ma^2, 2/5 Ma^2
Got all the same except for 7a where i got 1/5
Original post by HashiramaSenju
Got all the same except for 7a where i got 1/5

They were the same because the density was half
what do you mean
what do you mean

The mass of the hemisphere is M/2 so when you add the two MOI together you get the same as for the hemisphere.
Reply 71
I think I got the same answers! For q3 I simplified it to -(1/2)cost i, then for q6 I think I got something like a period of 2pi x sqrt (12a/7g) and J was m x sqrt(21ga), although I could be remembering wrong
Original post by Human156
I think I got the same answers! For q3 I simplified it to -(1/2)cost i, then for q6 I think I got something like a period of 2pi x sqrt (12a/7g) and J was m x sqrt(21ga), although I could be remembering wrong

Ahh I remember now, got them too :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rainybird
The mass of the hemisphere is M/2 so when you add the two MOI together you get the same as for the hemisphere.

i first got 2/5 then got confused and wrote it as 1/5 by calculating the desity incorrectly. Oh no ! how much do you think i will lose ?
1) a=3
2)a) F3 = (2, -1, -1)
b)r =(1,0,1) + λ(2, -1,-1)
3) r = -(1/4)sect(cos2t+1)i
4)2Mo
5)a)(2a/5g)
b)1/10 mg
6)a)2π sqrt(12a/7g)
b)m sqrt(21ag)
7)a) 2/5 ma^2
b)2/5 Ma^2
(edited 8 years ago)
i first got 2/5 then got confused and wrote it as 1/5 by calculating the desity incorrectly. Oh no ! how much do you think i will lose ?

It was only two marks, so you can only lose two max. You might get one for doing the addition rule though.
yup i used and mentioned the addition rule. but i wrote the volume of the hemi as 4/3 instead of 2/3.
Well but the paper was fairly easy.
Reply 77
Damn got 7)a wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
btw for 7b if you look at the formulae booklet. You will got it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Boundaries are going to be high I think.
70/71 for an A* if last years was 69.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending