The Student Room Group

Edexcel M5 12th June 2015 [Official Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cogito.
Yes, well it's too late now, what can i do in the next 2 years? retake like a idiot? or ace the STEPs?

P.S. although M5 sucks but now A* in FM secured.

I am using the AFM modules to boost my chances of getting an A* I'm pretty much 100% certain about getting an A* in Further Maths as I think I have above 90 in M4,S3 and FP2 and I got 100 last year in M2.I didn't do brilliantly in C3 so I need to ensure I do really in C4, so there is little chance of not getting my A* in Maths.Do you think the A* in Further Maths is easier than Maths due to increased flexibility?
I think after thinking it through for 7a the only errors I made where putting the limits as a and -a and using y/2 instead of y(the fact it was a hemisphere confused me a lot) do you think I would get half marks and probably one in the next part?
Original post by Swadq
14my2+mx2\frac{1}{4} m y^2 + m x^2 iirc

I'm interested to know what other methods people used I used the moment of inertia=1/4mr^2 multiplied by the mass using the fact that x^2+y^2=a^2 produces a volume of revolution of a sphere(this gives everything in y^4 which you change to (a^2-x^2)^2 or hemisphere I messed up by using y/2(thought it was half for a hemisphere but I have realised its only really the mass that changes in the integration and different moment of inertia result used of course) and limits of 2a and 0 but I have checked that it would work with correct limits a and -a and y instead of y/2 I think I will get most of the method marks maybe 6/11 and 1/2 for the next part?
Original post by cogito.
The particle falling under gravity and ask for suvat solution for the distance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah yes, I remember now. I was fine with that, I just messed up the centre of mass question.
Original post by Gome44
C1 took me about 30 mins (can't really remember but it was around this mark), c3 this year took me 30 mins as well. My personal best though is when I was revising (so no exam pressure), I did the m2 june 2014 paper in 22 mins :smile:

17 minutes C3 June 14R mock. Although I did drop a mark.😉.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
17 minutes C3 June 14R mock. Although I did drop a mark.😉.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice one, don't think I'll ever get a paper done below 20 mins :smile:. Whenever I finish a paper that quick and make a mistake I'm like, I would have found it in the 1 hour + I had left
Can anyone remember Q5? Those answers definitely dont sound familiar. Was it the disk of mass m, radius a, with axis tangential? find angular acceleration when it'd moved pi/3 from horizontal? and for b) I got some root threes from resolving the weight?

Edit: Just realised I did the inertia perpendicular so got 1.5ma^2 rather than 1.25ma^2 from the start of that question... but still the root threes?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TeeEm
M5 Grade Boundaries

Where did you get That file from? and where can I get the same file for all the other modules
Original post by SalimDridi
Where did you get That file from? and where can I get the same file for all the other modules

From Edexcel. See the attachment.
Original post by tiny hobbit
From Edexcel. See the attachment.

Link Please !!

All I can find is the following Web Page http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/grade-boundaries.html

I put it as an attachment in the post above.
Original post by tiny hobbit
I put it as an attachment in the post above.

Yes, I know that Thanks for That !!

But is that document only available to teachers ?
Original post by SalimDridi
Yes, I know that Thanks for That !!

But is that document only available to teachers ?

Where I got it from, yes, though obviously it's not top secret, the information from 2009 at least is on the Edexcel website but not collated in this way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending