The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, I've been getting some too. And they always start with 02920...
Reply 2
Be worried, be very worried :ninja:
Reply 4
their them caller centers from over seas everyone gets them now days lol
Reply 5
they might be from companies trying to sell stuff. i thought they only rang land lines but they ring mobiles too apparently. and often they are automated messages that are meant to be left on voicemail so if a person picks up it just cuts off. i think you can have them stopped though if they are bugging you. call your network and see.
Reply 6
The numbers both show no notable simularities other than they both begin with 070, so they must be from someone's mobile :eek: Who knows my number...
Reply 7
I've never received a call from a company before, why would the phonecalls start now?
Reply 8
call centres have all kinds of numbers. out of interest are these just missed calls or did you pick up? really it probably is just annoying calls from companies selling rubbish things.
Reply 9
They are missed calls, well, I was about to answer and they hung up. It only rang for about 3 seconds.
Reply 10
well try and get it next time and maybe the mystery will be solved! if it is a call centry ring your network and i think they can take you off whatever list numbers get on to be call centred.
Reply 11
070 numbers are not mobile numbers they are scam numbers. DO NOT ring them back.
Reply 12
Daveo
070 numbers are not mobile numbers they are scam numbers. DO NOT ring them back.

Ohhh...right...if that's so then I feel fine, I'd rather it was a scam number than some actual person trying to stalk me or something. Why's it sooooo bad to ring them back though? Is the call expensive? Or will they ask for credit card details?
Reply 13
miomio
Ohhh...right...if that's so then I feel fine, I'd rather it was a scam number than some actual person trying to stalk me or something. Why's it sooooo bad to ring them back though? Is the call expensive? Or will they ask for credit card details?
Often they can just charge you extortionate rates when you phone back. The web is littered with info on them such as here
Just ignore them, you're not being stalked :smile:
Reply 14
They are called 'cold calls'

Imagine a room with 50 people in it, a computor randomly dials phone numbers, someone answers and they are conected to 1 of those 50 people to talk. When all 50 people are occupied the computor still dials but dosent connect you to anyone when you pick up, hence you just get silence.

do NOT call back, do NOT text, and do NOT answer the phone from that number again. If you want, you can report them.
Reply 15
I don't normally bother calling back on numbers whose calls I've missed... if its important they'll leave a message or call back later.
Reply 16
I just love wasting their time:

Them - Hi, can you spare a minute to answer some questions?
Me - Sure
Them - Ok, are you on prepay or contract mobile?
Me - Prepay
Them - How much do you top it up in a week?
Me - Nothing
Them - Ok, how much in a month on average?
Me - Nothing
Them - How about in the last 6 months?
Me - Absoloutly nothing, i only use it for incomming calls
Them - Oh... Right... So would you be interested in our amazing contract for only £25 a month?
Me - Not a chance, Bye.
Reply 17
I got one which tried to sell me a new phone + contract. I tried informing the nice foreign man that I'd just purchased a new phone, and wasnt interested. He kept spewing out his written down sentences though, so I let him continue, just because I wanted him to get some bonus or whatever for actually getting through to someone.
When he had finished, he kept insisting I give him my details, even though I didnt want the phone.

As a result, I did the most rational thing that popped into my head at the time. While he was speaking, I took a big breath, and let out the longest, loudest, girliest scream I could create. That shut him up.
Reply 18
Ghost
I got one which tried to sell me a new phone + contract. I tried informing the nice foreign man that I'd just purchased a new phone, and wasnt interested. He kept spewing out his written down sentences though, so I let him continue, just because I wanted him to get some bonus or whatever for actually getting through to someone.
When he had finished, he kept insisting I give him my details, even though I didnt want the phone.

As a result, I did the most rational thing that popped into my head at the time. While he was speaking, I took a big breath, and let out the longest, loudest, girliest scream I could create. That shut him up.

LMAO, classic. Serves 'em right though.
Reply 19
I just love wasting their time:

Them - Hi, can you spare a minute to answer some questions?
Me - Sure
Them - Ok, are you on prepay or contract mobile?
Me - Prepay
Them - How much do you top it up in a week?
Me - Nothing
Them - Ok, how much in a month on average?
Me - Nothing
Them - How about in the last 6 months?
Me - Absoloutly nothing, i only use it for incomming calls
Them - Oh... Right... So would you be interested in our amazing contract for only £25 a month?
Me - Not a chance, Bye.

I just use the 'I'm under eighteen' excuse. It also works on the scarey Green Peace people always wanting to take your money and harass whilst trying to walk through the town center.

Latest

Trending

Trending