The Student Room Group

V2: Would you be happy on 65k per year (as a final salary)?

Posted a thread the other day about 40k and got a good response. Most students said they would not settle for 40k as a final salary. Most people already in work said it was a decent salary.

So now we ask for 65k.
Would you be happy, as an individual (disregarding whether you do or don't have family, inheritance etc) be happy on 65k per year?

Mon-Fri job. 8-5.
No overtime possibilities.
No perks (such as company cars)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well with the current tax system my goal is to earn £3k post tax per month which is around £50k so the answer is yes.
Original post by lewif002

Mon-Fri job. 8-5.
No overtime possibilities.
No perks (such as company cars)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course you would be happy. That is £3,700 in your pocket every month. You certainly wouldn't need to worry about where your next meal was coming from.

However, Monday to Friday 8-5 job that pays £65k and no overtime / stress - they are few and far between.
most people would of course they would and you could happily and easily live a comfortable live off of that but then again its all relative to your career goals. i am aiming to work in the city as a commerical solicitor and therefore a newly qualified salary is around that mark. regardless of what happens in the future though, i certainly wouldnt be depressed/angry at myself if i earnt something close to that because its a decent salary and one which most people would be extremely satisfied with.
I wouldn't be happy with any 'final salary'... I'd want to always be thinking that I can do better in the future
Given the future careers that I aspire to (Software developer) I think £65k a year would be a fantastic salary. Even if you are living in the south east (except London) this kind of salary is good. Otherwise its nearly 3 times the average salary in the UK right now!
Reply 6
Original post by J-SP
I am fortunate that self employment is providing me with what would be the equivalent salary.

But I could still be happy doing what I am doing and enjoying the lifestyle I have if it was half that amount.

But although it is far less stressful this choice will never be standardised hours (eg 8-5), but then one of the things I really enjoy is the flexibility of working when I want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome!! What do you do as a self employed person?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by ByEeek
Of course you would be happy. That is £3,700 in your pocket every month. You certainly wouldn't need to worry about where your next meal was coming from.

However, Monday to Friday 8-5 job that pays £65k and no overtime / stress - they are few and far between.

Sorry to pick your brain- which careers do offer lots of jobs at 65k then? Not trying to nay-say you. Just trying to get some knowledge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry to pick your brain- which careers do offer lots of jobs at 65k then? Not trying to nay-say you. Just trying to get some knowledge
Posted from TSR Mobile

I imagine many sectors offer the opportunity to earn that sort of cash. Take any large organisation and chances are those in senior management positions will be earning that kind of doh, complete with the stress and responsibility that goes with it.

You can also earn good money by running your own company complete with the stress and responsibility or you could become a politician and work all hours God sends. Or school head teacher, doctor, senior accountant, lawyer with the long hours, stress and responsibility....

You get the picture.

Of course there are those who earn more for less, but these are usually folks who know someone who knows someone who probably has a fancy school tie and a funny accent if you know what I mean.

If you are like me and want to earn big dough, you are going to have to work for it and work bloody hard. I did a few months of contracting last year. It was nice to see the best part of £4k hitting my bank account each month, but not seeing my kids and family through the week meant it just was not worth it.
No, 100k and I would be satisfied.
Reply 10

Mon-Fri job. 8-5.

8-5? No way.
Reply 11

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pick a career, at some point up the chain will be someone on that.
Reply 12
Original post by anonwinner
I wouldn't be happy with any 'final salary'... I'd want to always be thinking that I can do better in the future

So you're always going to be disappointed? Shame.
Most students said they would not settle for 40k as a final salary. Most people already in work said it was a decent salary.

That's because most students are idealistic buffoons with no concept of the real world.
Well if t scaled with inflation so that the value didn't decrease, then yes I'd be fairly satisfied given the current economic climate. Though I would love to strive for a larger amount for financial security which would require me being a very good worker in my selected profession. 65K is about what an MP earns so I think thats pretty good all things considered. Throw kids into the equation though and it makes things considerably harder to handle though, expensive little buggers but they're worth it in the end
Original post by Drewski
That's because most students are idealistic buffoons with no concept of the real world.

Or most people have high aspirations and would prefer not to settle for mediocrity.

Nothing wrong with being optimistic.
Original post by Rubik-Cube
Or most people have high aspirations and would prefer not to settle for mediocrity.

Nothing wrong with being optimistic.

There's optimistic and there's realistic.

There's nothing wrong with aspirations, but those aspirations shouldn't get in the way of living.
Original post by Quady
So you're always going to be disappointed? Shame.

I didn't say that did I...? I would be really really happy on £65k a year, but I just wouldn't want to know that it was my 'final salary'. I always want to have something to work for
I'd be more inclined to Yes than to No, but not really as a 'final' salary. In my opinion, I believe that I would only be fairly content with a final salary that matches or surpasses that of my dad's.

£65k is fantastic for a Singleton and fairly comfortable for a family (but I'm probably used to a higher QoL so not sure really) who are starting out in a lovely area of the South East, Aberdeen, Edinburgh etc..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Drewski
There's optimistic and there's realistic.

There's nothing wrong with aspirations, but those aspirations shouldn't get in the way of living.

How, pray tell, does one having salary aspirations get in the way of living?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending