The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

How popular are drugs at Lancaster uni?

This is probably going to seem like a weird question, but as someone who is hopefully going to Lancaster later this year I want to ask, how popular are drugs?
There's been news that five students took a legal high (spice) and have been hospitalized, two of them in critical condition. Which could happen anywhere, sure, but the university issued a statement saying, basically, "yeah call 999 if any of your friends might die from drug use." Like wow, thanks for the insight...

It seemed surprisingly nonchalant for what I think is a pretty serious issue? I just want to know how seriously Lancaster uni takes drug use and if anyone can fill me in on how the uni is currently dealing with this situation, I'd love to know.

My main concern is that it's very easy to find info on spice as being a very damaging legal high, and Lancaster uni don't seem to have issued any information on how dangerous the drug is, which is concerning. I know it's a personal choice whether or not to take drugs, but a uni is still an institution where I think students need to be clued up. Do you think they're doing enough?
Thanks.
All uni's have groups.

Groups that do drugs

Groups that hang around drugs

Groups that want nothing to do with drugs

At uni: drugs are always easy to avoid, if you choose to do so

But they are also easy to find, if you choose to do so.

Same at most uni's

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by lo-li-ta
This is probably going to seem like a weird question, but as someone who is hopefully going to Lancaster later this year I want to ask, how popular are drugs?
There's been news that five students took a legal high (spice) and have been hospitalized, two of them in critical condition. Which could happen anywhere, sure, but the university issued a statement saying, basically, "yeah call 999 if any of your friends might die from drug use." Like wow, thanks for the insight...

It seemed surprisingly nonchalant for what I think is a pretty serious issue? I just want to know how seriously Lancaster uni takes drug use and if anyone can fill me in on how the uni is currently dealing with this situation, I'd love to know.

My main concern is that it's very easy to find info on spice as being a very damaging legal high, and Lancaster uni don't seem to have issued any information on how dangerous the drug is, which is concerning. I know it's a personal choice whether or not to take drugs, but a uni is still an institution where I think students need to be clued up. Do you think they're doing enough?
Thanks.

I'm going to be honest with you pal, you're very naive in asking this. I gaurentee you, drugs are a big thing at every single uni, even the top ones. It's just something that comes with the uni experience, some people take the opportunity to try new things, and to some people that is trying drugs. It does not mean however everyone is involved in it. It's very much the sort of thing you find if you want to find it. Things like what's happened recently are big in the news because it's something the media love to jump all over but if you don't want to be involved in drugs it's simple, stay away from them. The uni has a very strong stance against drugs just like any other place, however it is a very hard thing to control. Unfortunately, despite as you say a uni should be somewhere very smart people have got the knowledge to keep themselves safe, but that's got nothing to do with it really, you just need a bit of bloody common sense and that's not the unis job.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by MarshyJ7792
I'm going to be honest with you pal, you're very naive in asking this. I gaurentee you, drugs are a big thing at every single uni, even the top ones. It's just something that comes with the uni experience, some people take the opportunity to try new things, and to some people that is trying drugs. It does not mean however everyone is involved in it. It's very much the sort of thing you find if you want to find it. Things like what's happened recently are big in the news because it's something the media love to jump all over but if you don't want to be involved in drugs it's simple, stay away from them. The uni has a very strong stance against drugs just like any other place, however it is a very hard thing to control. Unfortunately, despite as you say a uni should be somewhere very smart people have got the knowledge to keep themselves safe, but that's got nothing to do with it really, you just need a bit of bloody common sense and that's not the unis job.

OP asked a reasonable question given that the Uni hasn't made it's stance on drugs clear OR public in light of some students being made seriously ill.

You've said "...the uni has a strong stance against drugs...' this would be sufficient, You could even eleborate on this point (which was the point in question-not whether people take drugs or not) without being quite so pissy about it. Pal.
Reply 4
Original post by MarshyJ7792

"Naive"? Well, of course. I'm not at uni yet, so I asked a question. I think they could have very easily told people about the drug itself, as it's a knock-off kind of weed, and legal highs are notoriously ambiguous in their content, you know?
But thanks anyway! ^-^
Original post by Artmonkey
OP asked a reasonable question given that the Uni hasn't made it's stance on drugs clear OR public in light of some students being made seriously ill.

You've said "...the uni has a strong stance against drugs...' this would be sufficient, You could even eleborate on this point (which was the point in question-not whether people take drugs or not) without being quite so pissy about it. Pal.

Who's being pissy? I'll give you I gave quite a blunt response but it's a blunt subject matter. And I stand by what I say, if you want to be a waste of space and get involved in drugs that's your own prerogative, it's not the university's responsibility to educate supposed adults who should know better. The fact that something called a "legal high" exists takes the piss anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
As a student at Lancaster, and someone who has been there for two years, I had to comment. Having drugs on campus is an offence and I have heard of people being excluded for it.
On the spice issue, please do not believe everything the press says. They quoted one of several messages and updates we all received. They first message was an immediate response which was along the lines of, 'if you think your friends have taken this, please get them help'.. And then we had a further email which told us what it was, where it had come from and the condition of the students involved. It was frankly lovely to see how the student community rallied round in support of these people on social media.
In terms of drug use - I am a person who is completely anti drugs but I have known people who do - mostly weed etc occasionally, but nothing of the hard variety - apart from the minority group in my college that were known for being the party animal drug taking types (I'm talking 5 or 6 lads in a college of several thousand) - or at least that I know of.
As previously mentioned, yes, if I wished, I could probably get my hands on drugs, but at the same time they are very easily avoided. The spice scandal was as much a surprise and scandal to the students as it was to our parents at home.
Reply 7
Original post by lizzikinks
As a student at Lancaster, and someone who has been there for two years, I had to comment. Having drugs on campus is an offence and I have heard of people being excluded for it.
On the spice issue, please do not believe everything the press says. They quoted one of several messages and updates we all received. They first message was an immediate response which was along the lines of, 'if you think your friends have taken this, please get them help'.. And then we had a further email which told us what it was, where it had come from and the condition of the students involved. It was frankly lovely to see how the student community rallied round in support of these people on social media.
In terms of drug use - I am a person who is completely anti drugs but I have known people who do - mostly weed etc occasionally, but nothing of the hard variety - apart from the minority group in my college that were known for being the party animal drug taking types (I'm talking 5 or 6 lads in a college of several thousand) - or at least that I know of.
As previously mentioned, yes, if I wished, I could probably get my hands on drugs, but at the same time they are very easily avoided. The spice scandal was as much a surprise and scandal to the students as it was to our parents at home.

Thanks for giving such an informative reply! It's really helpful to actually hear from someone who's there.
Glad to know this is just one of those incidents that could happen anywhere, and that it's not a regular thing. This was really useful, thanks again. ^-^
Compared to other universities, we really don't have much of a drug issue. Here is the league table for the 'druggiest universities' (probably the only league table where Lancaster doesn't come under the top ten :wink: , in fact we don't even make the it into the league table).

http://thetab.com/blog/2015/05/12/manchester-crowned-druggiest-uni-snort-past-leeds-38067
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah we all got emails about that updating us, something like that is really rare.

I know like one person who smokes weed. I imagine if you were a serious partyer you'd meet people who do drugs, but every uni has some people who do it. In fact I imagine Lancaster has a lot less druggies than other unis. It's highly ranked for being safe and campus itself is quite calm (excluding Freshers, Extravs and nighttime when people going out into town after pre drinks are making their way to the underpass).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending