The Student Room Group

How are people revising for AS Level Edexcel Government and Politics?

My folder from class is just full of news articles because our teacher is obsessed with the guardian....

How is everyone else revising?? What are some good resources???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Daily Politics with Andrew Neil, Reading the Guardian, essay plans, getting other people to ask you questions etc
My friend typed up her notes, rewrote them by hand and then did bombarded her teacher with gov&pol essays :laugh:

Assuming you have quite a bit of time left, try sending an essay or 10 to your teacher
I haven't started yet. But when I do:

1. Watching news, reading websites, etc. There's just been an election so there's plenty of material

2. Reading the textbook

3. Making simplified notes.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
My friend typed up her notes, rewrote them by hand and then did bombarded her teacher with gov&pol essays :laugh:

Assuming you have quite a bit of time left, try sending an essay or 10 to your teacher

That sounds like a good idea. My teacher is gonna hate her half term... :wink:

I love politics so I'm just constantly reading the latest news. Guido Fawkes is a really nice website because it's got all the dirt on different parties, the moment the news comes in. Lots of info on other things like statistics and policies that could be useful in the exam. I've also been watching Question Time, Free Speech and BBC Parliament as much as possible (without sitting through every single Lords debate, I'd fall asleep real quick if I did that)
Original post by UnBalanced

I love politics so I'm just constantly reading the latest news. Guido Fawkes is a really nice website because it's got all the dirt on different parties, the moment the news comes in. Lots of info on other things like statistics and policies that could be useful in the exam. I've also been watching Question Time, Free Speech and BBC Parliament as much as possible (without sitting through every single Lords debate, I'd fall asleep real quick if I did that)

Yes, being naturally interested in what goes around you makes revision seem less like a chore.

But make use of your teachers, they're there for many reasons - having a break from your work isn't one of them! :wink:
Reply 6
Making definition and essay plans.
Reply 7

You doing the exam on 1st June?

If so what topics are you learning?
Reply 8
For unit 2 its also possible to learn only two topics as constitution/parliament never come up in same section. So if you learn both of them there will be a 40 mark on one and other section on the other. the same applies for judiciary/cabinet
Original post by xxvine
You doing the exam on 1st June?

If so what topics are you learning?

I haven't planned it out yet but I have a pretty solid grasp on ideologies and referendums so I'll probably work on the stuff I'm less confident with (electoral system/pressure groups). How about you?
Reply 10
I haven't planned it out yet but I have a pretty solid grasp on ideologies and referendums so I'll probably work on the stuff I'm less confident with (electoral system/pressure groups). How about you?

Exam is in a week!
You need to hurry
Elections/Pressure Groups/Democracy!
Original post by xxvine
Exam is in a week!
You need to hurry
Elections/Pressure Groups/Democracy!

Nice, sounds good.
Oh believe me I'll be fine for revision, starting tomorrow morning :smile: It's the subject I find easiest out of the four so hopefully it'll be a breeze, gonna prepare as much as possible of course though.
Reply 12
Nice, sounds good.
Oh believe me I'll be fine for revision, starting tomorrow morning :smile: It's the subject I find easiest out of the four so hopefully it'll be a breeze, gonna prepare as much as possible of course though.

Smarty pants eh?

What topics you revising for Unit 2 and how do you revise? Reading over notes?
Original post by xxvine
Smarty pants eh?

What topics you revising for Unit 2 and how do you revise? Reading over notes?

Hahaha, reading over now that last post sounded really arrogant and I definitely didn't mean it to be! (lesser of 4 evils)

I need to do a LOT of revision on the constitution so I'll make sure I do that. Unit 2 seems like the harder of the two to me. I'll probably do a mixture of past papers and reading through notes/textbook. I work better when I'm doing actual questions and then comparing with a mark scheme so I'll make sure to do lots of that. How do you revise?
(edited 8 years ago)
This is what I did last year.
Revise 3 topics from each paper. I only did 2 but society dictates that one should be safe.
Blue essentials of UK politics book is your friend.
Memorise definitions of all key words that could come up for 5 markers.
Make detailed notes on key areas- to shorten this process look at past papers and find relevant arguments.
Condense the notes and learn them.
Most importantly- find examples. I recommend doing this in an interesting way rather than using the book, for your own sanity.
Do loads of half-detailed essay plans- will save you loads of time.
Reply 15
Original post by Everythingstupid
This is what I did last year.
Revise 3 topics from each paper. I only did 2 but society dictates that one should be safe.
Blue essentials of UK politics book is your friend.
Memorise definitions of all key words that could come up for 5 markers.
Make detailed notes on key areas- to shorten this process look at past papers and find relevant arguments.
Condense the notes and learn them.
Most importantly- find examples. I recommend doing this in an interesting way rather than using the book, for your own sanity.
Do loads of half-detailed essay plans- will save you loads of time.

So bring in examples from the 2015 election?

That would really impress the examiner especially since the exam was written before the election took place?
I think I will try and learn seats won by major parties, and the percent of votes...
Figures like 2015 turnout and % of female MPs, ethnic minority MPs etc. could be useful in an essay too, gonna see if I can learn some of them.
Reply 17
Figures like 2015 turnout and % of female MPs, ethnic minority MPs etc. could be useful in an essay too, gonna see if I can learn some of them.

Turn out 66%
Female MPs - 29% up 7% from 2010
47 non white mps compared to 27 in 2010

Going to try and learn that plus the actual results
Original post by xxvine
So bring in examples from the 2015 election?

That would really impress the examiner especially since the exam was written before the election took place?
I think I will try and learn seats won by major parties, and the percent of votes...

Lol. It's not that deep. Examples are examples, as long as they're relevant.
Reply 19
reading, notes, reading, notes
past paper, past paper

I read a lot of articles and watch a lot of political shows anyway so I don't count that as revision so I haven't really started revising and I will panic in a few days, I know it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending