The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Just to be clear, I mean in terms of career prospects/MA prospects (a 2.1 from York vs. a 2.1 from Durham for example) NOT clubbing, social life, surroundings, etc.

Thanks again!
Reply 2
anyone?
Reply 3
My gut reaction would be York is better, but I've got nothing concrete to base that on. They're both top universities so choose whichever suits you best.
Not sure what Management at York is like. I'm sure I've heard it's not one of the ebst courses York hs to offer. But how that omapres to Business at Durham I've no iea. Sorry I can't be more help.
Reply 5
In terms of overall prestige Durham beats York. I dont know about the individual courses.
Reply 6
From a finance perspecitve, I have a friend who does Maths and Finance at York who dislikes the Businessy bit cos theres no Finance in the 1st yr. Here at Durham we get straight into the finance on the first lectures. Overall Durham is MILES better, I mean just look at where graduate recruiters choose to pitch, the %of 1sts and 2.1s etc
Reply 7
durham by far! its higher in the rankings and people their business school is good and highly ranked!
Durham Business School has an established rep with postgrads, and has a growing reputation with its undergrad programme.
So as you can see I think Durham is the better choice, as none of these points are the case with York as far as I am aware.
To be honest I wasn't aware York done business courses until it was mentioned in this thread. #beard#
I know Durham has the better overall reputation but I think the business school is pretty new and the Durham Stockton campus doesn't seem to be a great place to study in (less distractions though). York I don't really know much about but I heard the course there is pretty good.
Reply 10
The business school is not new; it's over 40 yrs old.
Reply 11
Didn't Durham's business school at Stockton used to be a polytechnic or something?
I would say York for management without a doubt. Durham's business department is not as prestigious as the uni itself. Also you won't actually be at Durham, you'll be in Stockton.
Reply 12
Easily York. The course at Durham is at the Stockton campus. Do I need to say more?
stupanico
The business school is not new; it's over 40 yrs old.

Sorry I meant the Stockton campus (as part of Durham uni). I wasn't sure about the business school itself. I read that it was another institution before Durham bought the place?

Byz
Easily York. The course at Durham is at the Stockton campus. Do I need to say more?

:ditto: No offence to the course or Durham as a uni but Stockton is the big turn off.
Reply 14
paddy
Didn't Durham's business school at Stockton used to be a polytechnic or something?
I would say York for management without a doubt. Durham's business department is not as prestigious as the uni itself. Also you won't actually be at Durham, you'll be in Stockton.

NO IT DID NOT USED TO BE A POLYTECHNIC!!!!!!!!! It is a prestigious dept, one of the best in Europe according to the FT. I think people would trust the Financial Times more than they trust you. It has some of the best lecturers, for example my micro economics lecturer wrote a book with Baumol (google or wiki if u dont know who that is). The dept is on target to get at least 5 in the 2008 RAE. The finance depts assessment taught at Queen's may get even more which will help bring up the marks for the Economics dept at the city site.
Reply 15
stupanico
NO IT DID NOT USED TO BE A POLYTECHNIC!!!!!!!!! It is a prestigious dept, one of the best in Europe according to the FT. I think people would trust the Financial Times more than they trust you. It has some of the best lecturers, for example my micro economics lecturer wrote a book with Baumol (google or wiki if u dont know who that is). The dept is on target to get at least 5 in the 2008 RAE. The finance depts assessment taught at Queen's may get even more which will help bring up the marks for the Economics dept at the city site.

The FT ranks Business Schools? You realise that's just for postgrad courses?
Paying attention to that for undergrad is dangerous, as many of the fine departments highly rated by the FT (i.e. Tanaka at Imperial, Cass at City) have nothing whatsoever to do with undergrad courses.
And I'm also guessing that there's a huge difference between the business teaching at the Durham campus (as done within degrees like Business Economics) as opposed to the Stockton campus. And I think you can guess which one I guess is much better.
Reply 16
That's completely rubbish. The people who teach Corporate Finance and other business modules for the Economics students and for outside options on other courses are the same as those who teach me. The modules are identical. We even sit the same exam paper. So there is no difference in teaching! The FT looks at the whole business school; it has other rankings for post grad courses in some of which Durham appears in the top 20 in europe.
Reply 17
You really mean to day that the lecturers that lecture on courses like Business Economics at Durham campus also lecture at Stockton? I doubt there would be enough lecturers willing to make the commute how ever many times a week.
Even if it were true, there's a reason Durham isn't known for its business degrees, because it doesn't pay as much attention to them as it does to its economics department. Sure it's become slightly more well known in recent years but there's only so much that you can do with publicity.
York has a better Business department than Durham. It doesn't detract anything from your degree, it's just the truth:rolleyes:
Reply 18
My lecturers do commute yes and if you don't believe me check the faculty profiles on our website. It's only 20 miles.
Reply 19
York has slightly better reputation for business/management than durham. but in overall durham has considerably better reputation.

Latest

Trending

Trending