The Student Room Group

OCR AS French Exam 21st May 2015

Hello everyone,

So this morning I sat the OCR French AS exam. I'm retaking as I was hoping it would act as a safety net for my A2 grade... How wrong I was!
Was it just me who found it rather tricky? I'd redone the last few years' papers as mocks and had no real issues, but today's paper seemed to come out of nowhere!
What the hell was up with the usually A2 element of definitions cropping up in the AS reading?

Just thought I'd post on here to see if it was just me having a bad time or whether anyone else found anything with it? Always nice to know it was the exam board being mean rather than me just being a bit rubbish!

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
I found it dififcult too- the first listening was difficult! And the first reading but that is prob because I was infamiliar with the words! And then as a result my last essay wasn't as well planned out and structured due to being rushed for time :frown: I am doing my AS OCR French and had this exam this morning aswell.
Reply 2
*unfamiliar
Reply 3
Phew, thank God! Yeah, the first listening had a couple where they crossed over and I was exactly the same with my essay... I'd left it till last because I thought I'd have some time left over, but that wasn't the case at all!
Do you reckon it was a nationally difficult paper, which might lower the grade boundaries for us a little? 😌
Reply 4
Original post by Afia Khan
I found it dififcult too- the first listening was difficult! And the first reading but that is prob because I was infamiliar with the words! And then as a result my last essay wasn't as well planned out and structured due to being rushed for time :frown: I am doing my AS OCR French and had this exam this morning aswell.

I found exactly the same! The first listening was horrific, and tbh the majority of the listening was so so hard!!!! When doing past papers I was feeling confident so I hate it how they make some papers easy and some papers so hard!!!! And then i found because the rest of the exam went badly, it put me off for the essay. The questions for the essay were actually quite good, but I just felt so distracted at how badly the first bits went!!! gosh, such a bad exam!
Reply 5
Original post by anniemp
I found exactly the same! The first listening was horrific, and tbh the majority of the listening was so so hard!!!! When doing past papers I was feeling confident so I hate it how they make some papers easy and some papers so hard!!!! And then i found because the rest of the exam went badly, it put me off for the essay. The questions for the essay were actually quite good, but I just felt so distracted at how badly the first bits went!!! gosh, such a bad exam!

I know! I thought last year's was tricky, but this year's totally blindsided me! I was so rushed I had no time to proof read so my accuracy is going to be all over the place! :s-smilie: Were there ANY nice bits?! :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by LinguaLover
I know! I thought last year's was tricky, but this year's totally blindsided me! I was so rushed I had no time to proof read so my accuracy is going to be all over the place! :s-smilie: Were there ANY nice bits?! :tongue:

A couple of the reading bits were okay but when you come out of a hard exam you kind of only remember the bad bits! So annoying! I'm normally quite laid back over exams but french actually made me cry with frustration haha!xx
Reply 7
Original post by anniemp
A couple of the reading bits were okay but when you come out of a hard exam you kind of only remember the bad bits! So annoying! I'm normally quite laid back :redface:ver exams but french actually made me cry with frustration haha!xx

Haha it's the way of the universe! Hopefully we've done way better than we feel we have, we're just remembering the awful bits!
How many points do you think we needed to make in the 40 mark essay??

I talked about alcohol, obesity, anorexia and then moved onto talking about setting up programmes to educate the youth etc.

I normally write lots of less developed points but this time i just wrote a couple but said loads about them! :/

I agree that it was far more difficult than past papers and the normal boundary for an A is 108-110 out of 140 so hopefully it’ll be lower!
Reply 9
Original post by LinguaLover
Phew, thank God! Yeah, the first listening had a couple where they crossed over and I was exactly the same with my essay... I'd left it till last because I thought I'd have some time left over, but that wasn't the case at all!
Do you reckon it was a nationally difficult paper, which might lower the grade boundaries for us a little? 😌

I really hope so and that's what I am praying for but I don't know really what is going to happen
Original post by anniemp

I know exactly what you mean! the essay question was actually such a good question by comparison to some in previous years but I was too flustered and rushed to actually do the question justice. Overall, it was an awful paper.
Reply 11
What was the essay question?
Reply 12
What was the essay question?

Quick Reply

Latest