The Student Room Group

Economics Joint Honours

Hi everyone!

I'm currently doing my AS levels and am beginning to look into universities and courses. I love Economics, its my favourite subject, but am struggling with Maths. I have heard that Economics is predominately Maths based and I am not sure whether this would suit me.

Does anyone have any advice on Joint Honours degrees with Economics, and another subject, such as maybe Politics or History?

Reply 1
Hello future Economist! I'm at A2, current offer holder for Economics & Politics at various places and have firmed Exeter for Econ & Pol with Industrial Experience.

Firstly, it is true that many Economics degrees have mathematical content. Generally speaking, the more 'prestigious' the University, the more maths-based content you have. LSE and Cambridge, for instance, are well known for their insane focus on the mathematical side of things and econometrics.

However it's important to note that degrees in the subject vary a lot in terms of mathematical content. It depends where you study and whether it's a BA or BSc degree. This is where university websites come in handy. I'd urge you to look at the 'degree content' or 'structure' part of economics pages on uni's sites.

If you choose to do a Joint Honours degree in Economics then you're in luck. Many universities all around the country offer all sorts of options for combined and joint degrees. I know this since I've done the research myself! Note: 'Combined' means 75/25, Economics with Maths would indicate 75% of your course would be Econ, 25% Maths, roughly. Joint honours is 50/50, though people sometimes use them the other way around, or use one to refer to both types of degree.

Many universities offer Economics & Politics and Economics & History. Other options related to economics are plentiful - including International Relations, International Development and Development Studies. Maths or Stats is often also an option, though I think a step in the wrong direction of what you're looking for. Business or Management joint with Economics is also popular. You can get a joint degree in just about anything if you look in the right places. I'd advise you to work out whether you want a clean 50/50 split or not as that can narrow down your choices.

The following sites have been invaluable to me in my research:

university.which.co.uk
unistats.com

The sites allow you to compare course data including how likely you are to get an offer (the percentage of applicants who receive offers, which is a much better hint of your likelihood of getting an offer than just 'applicants per place'), student satisfaction, and how you'll be assessed.

Good luck & all the best!
Reply 2
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much for all your advice! Really appreciated :smile:
Original post by tashielaura
Hi everyone!

I'm currently doing my AS levels and am beginning to look into universities and courses. I love Economics, its my favourite subject, but am struggling with Maths. I have heard that Economics is predominately Maths based and I am not sure whether this would suit me.

Does anyone have any advice on Joint Honours degrees with Economics, and another subject, such as maybe Politics or History?

Personal choice really - you could do dual honours or major/minor. I think politics is a really nice combination with economics if you're into that stuff (were you really into the election?). History also complements economics very nicely, so tbh it's more about picking what you enjoy most. I think some unis offer economics combined with things like languages, finance, management, business, etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending