The Student Room Group

Do you now consider Russia an enemy of the UK?

Poll

Do you consider Russia an enemy of the UK?

I'm interested to know peoples attitudes towards Russia given events in Georgia and Ukraine (and suspected allegiance with Iran).

Once the cold war ended we had a much better relationship with Russia and the expectation was that they'd become closer to us i think, this has clearly not occurred.

So it's a simple question.. Do you now view Russia as an enemy of the British state.

Scroll to see replies

Personally, I don't see them as an enemy. But I'm very wary of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rakas21
Once the cold war ended we had a much better relationship with Russia and the expectation was that they'd become closer to us i think, this has clearly not occurred.

And what was the result of this much better relationship for the Russian people? Misery, poverty, extremely high inflation, corruption run amok and lots of violent crime.

I don't think we should be harping back to the 1990s as a success story of Western-Russian relations but I think we can get to a stage where the relationship is better than it is now.
Reply 3
No, the Russians and us share a common enemy. Stupid and warmongering politicians.
Original post by Rakas21

So it's a simple question.. Do you now view Russia as an enemy of the British state.

Nope. I reject the paradigm of your question and your pole :smug:
Yes Russia is an enemy of the state.

As is Germany and the EU shambles.

But seeing as Labour and the green party are both pro EU and pro Russia it shows where their allegiance truly is.

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Nope. I reject the paradigm of your question and your pole :smug:

Whose side are you on?
Original post by whorace
No, the Russians and us share a common enemy. Stupid and warmongering politicians.

Do you not mean the EU?
Original post by The two eds

Whose side are you on?

The plight of the international proletariat? :teehee:

I dunno. America can **** off complaining about Russia fighting proxy wars and do the imperialist thing. As can Russia for being an imperialist bully fighting proxy wars.
Reply 8
Russia is an enemy of the UK in that the United Kingdom government most likely views Russia as an enemy, seeing as the UK has supported NATO's expansion eastwards as well as the overthrow of the Russian-backed democratically elected President of Ukraine.

State actors almost all view each other as potential enemies, though. Russia was simply acting in its own interest by annexing Crimea and getting involved in Eastern Ukraine, and states do not like other states acting in their own interest, particularly if it comes at the expense of their own interests. That's when they become enemies.

The poll presents us with a false trichotomy, to say the least. I'm on no one's side: Russia should not have intervened in Eastern Ukraine and the election in Crimea should have had an option to remain with the status quo, although I'm sure a slim majority of the Crimeans would have voted to join Russia anyway, in which case Crimea joining Russia would have been justified.

But, the West's antics over Russia's actions, which they themselves have engaged in on numerous occasions in even larger violations of international law, are hilarious.

My favourite is John Kerry's: "You just don't in the 21st century behave in 19th century fashion by invading another country on completely trumped up pre-text". *Cough* Iraq.
(edited 8 years ago)

I dunno. America can **** off complaining about Russia fighting proxy wars and do the imperialist thing. As can Russia for being an imperialist bully fighting proxy wars.

I do not understand you. Who do you really support? What is your end vision for this world? What direction do you want us to move in? because the sad reality of life is the world is controlled by these big guys and eventually you have to choose a side. It seems you want to be seen as a party for a large global changing revolution of the "system" which will never happen.
Reply 10

**** the proletariat and the bourgeoise

City life is dull
Reply 11
I do not understand you. Who do you really support? What is your end vision for this world? What direction do you want us to move in? because the sad reality of life is the world is controlled by these big guys and eventually you have to choose a side. It seems you want to be seen as a party for a large global changing revolution of the "system" which will never happen.

Russian justice and government is contrary to natural law, and the Americans are uncivilised and need to be colonised by the polite British, they have no respect for tradition, community or proper art. Bunch of merchants.
I do not understand you. Who do you really support? What is your end vision for this world? What direction do you want us to move in? because the sad reality of life is the world is controlled by these big guys and eventually you have to choose a side. A seems you want to be seen as party of a large global changing revolution of the "system" which will never happen.

Well I'm on the side that thinks Ukraine shouldn't have to be annexed by Russia. But I reject the concept of "Russia" as some big block of homogenous group of people. I'm against Putin and his cronies and all those corrupt greedy oligarchs. But not against these Russians.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_anti-war_protests_in_Russia

South America has been making progress against the bully that was/is oppressing it (US). So for a start we should stop behaving like Russia. Like what has happend in Europe since world war two the countries have more or less managed to work together instead of fighting each other, who knows, maybe Russia will manage some ind of internal change and the same can happen throughout the world. If Russia actually started invading countries proper again... To scary to think about. But I don't really know, I'm just a pleb anyway :dontknow:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Well I'm on the side that thinks Ukraine shouldn't have to be annexed by Russia. But I reject the concept of "Russia" as some big block of homogenous group of people. I'm against Putin and his cronies and all those corrupt greedy oligarchs. But not against these Russians.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_anti-war_protests_in_Russia

South America has been making progress against the bully that was/is oppressing it (US). So for a start we should stop behaving like Russia. But I don't really know, I'm just a pleb anyway :dontknow:

South America is currently in international competition with South Africa to host the next location of Hell.
Reply 14
Well I'm on the side that thinks Ukraine shouldn't have to be annexed by Russia.

Do you support our arming of the Ukranian government?
Reply 15
Original post by Rakas21
Do you support our arming of the Ukranian government?

Hey Russia stop meddling in other people's affairs. *Hands guns to the Ukranians*
Reply 16
Original post by whorace
Hey Russia stop meddling in other people's affairs. *Hands guns to the Ukranians*

Not arming or taking direct action is for people who live in fairy land where nobody acts in their own interest.
Tbh when we say how russia is powerhungry and warmongering, I always think how many wars has Russia started and how many wars Western Europe and the US have started. A tad hypocritical from our side. But that's foreign politics for ya.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Rakas21
Not arming or taking direct action is for people who live in fairy land where nobody acts in their own interest.

Fine then lets stop being hypocrites and admit this is the case.
Reply 19
Original post by whorace
Fine then lets stop being hypocrites and admit this is the case.

I've no issue with that. The USSR no longer exists, Europe will win the bulk of Ukraine.

Quick Reply

Latest