The Student Room Group

From King's College to UCL (german and philosophy program)

Deleted post
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Airelle96
Hi there,
I have a question. I applied at King's for the German and Philosophy program. I get an offer but didn't know that the same program exists at UCL. I just send a mail and Late applications are still accepted. I'm obliged to apply through UCAS, do you know if it's possible to find a way to apply for september 2015 without resigning my offer.
Thanks

If you used all five choices, then no.
I only applied for King's (I'm french and have still difficulties to deal with UCAS), but I already accept my offer. Could I do something to apply at UCL for the same program?
Here is UCL's answer:
"In order to access UCAS Extra, you need to have used all of your choice and been rejected from all of your choices, or to have declined all of your offers. Please contact UCAS directly to see if you are eligible for UCAS Extra, and speak with your school advisors before declining any offers. We will consider transfer requests directly into second year, but these are considered on a case-by-case basis, and I cannot guarantee that you would be made an offer."
I don't know what extra is, and how to use it...

You can apply to UCL through Extra, but you would have to reject King's first. This is because Extra is only available to applicants who hold no offers. It is therefore a very risky strategy.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/track-your-application/extra-choices
Original post by ageshallnot
You can apply to UCL through Extra, but you would have to reject King's first. This is because Extra is only available to applicants who hold no offers. It is therefore a very risky strategy.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/track-your-application/extra-choices

Maybe would it be smarter to go to ucl during my second year, I posted here to know if there was a solution to apply without taking the risk of loosing my place at king's. But thanks for helping :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Maybe it would be smarter to go to ucl during my second year, I posted here to know if there was a solution to apply without taking the risk of loosing my place at king's. But thanks for helping me :smile:

Two things you ought to consider...

King's is a very good university, though overall UCL is generally thought of as better.

Transfers into second year are quite rare.
I know that king's is a very good school, I came to London very frequently and visited both colleges. I have to admit that I have a preference for King's (courses seem to be more interesting), but there are reasons which incite me to apply at UCL. I'm from France, there (and I think that in the UK too) studying humanities isn't honorable and means: no job for later. I'm just really scared and want to give my self the chance to have every opportunities in front of me. I don't despite King's at all, I just worry about the reputation it has. (good but decreasing) . It is more because I'm under pressure and have to prove to my familly that I can succeed through the way I chose. It could seems strange, but I fear that coming from King's/ UCL has not the same impact. I hope to be wrong because I know the chance I already look forward for september!

Going to King's vs UCL will not be the difference between getting a job or not getting a job.

What will make the difference is work experience, internships, positions of responsibility in societies and so on. I say this as a politics graduate who got her job as a result of everything I did alongside her degree (though having the degree was necessary too)

Humanities graduates are perfectly employable in the UK - around 70% of graduate jobs are open to people with a degree in any subject. If you want to see employment rates for different courses at different unis, check out unistats.com

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know that king's is a very good school, I came to London very frequently and visited both colleges. I have to admit that I have a preference for King's (courses seem to be more interesting), but there are reasons which incite me to apply at UCL. I'm from France, there (and I think that in the UK too) studying humanities isn't honorable and means: no job for later. I'm just really scared and want to give my self the chance to have every opportunities in front of me. I don't despite King's at all, I just worry about the reputation it has. (good but decreasing) . It is more because I'm under pressure and have to prove to my familly that I can succeed through the way I chose. It could seems strange, but I fear that coming from King's/ UCL doesn't have the same impact. I hope to be wrong because I know the chance I have and I already look forward for september!

I understand - good luck!
UCL almost certainly won't be in Extra so don't decline your KCL offer.
Reply 8

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending