The Student Room Group

Needs Change DSA; what is significant?

I'm already getting DSA, but would like to get another assessment as I think my needs have changed a lot since the previous assessment. I started another thread about this and people have been very helpful in their advice for how to get another assessment etc.

What I'm now wondering is what kind of need change constitutes a significant need change? For example I have arthritis and this has been acknowledged in the original DSA assessment; I now have been diagnosed with hypermobility as well. Does that make a difference or are they similar conditions support wise? How about the worsening of an existing condition?

I'm just trying to understand the process really to gauge what I should do. Thanks for taking the time to read!

Ziggy777
Reply 1
The acid test is how the changes in your condition have made it more difficult to study since your last assessment. As it's based on impact rather than specifically diagnosis, just having a recent new additional diagnosis won't necessarily mean that your problems have changed.

However if you have additional new problems with studying since your last assessment because you have developed new symptoms or your existing symptoms have worsened, then it sounds like a reassessment would be necessary.
Reply 2
Klix88 aha!! Thanks for that reply and the info.

I think, looking at it how you describe it, I have additional new problems re new symptoms and worsening of existing symptoms that make studying more difficult. And all of them have developed since my last assessment. I also have a new treatment for some of those problems that poses new difficulties with studying as well. Do treatment effects come into the assessment at all I wonder?

Ziggy777
Reply 3
I would think so, as they are a direct impact of the condition that they treat. However, I'm now guessing and I think you need to contact someone on the DSA side to ask. It certainly sounds like you have good reasons to request a reassessment.
Reply 4
Thanks very much Klix88.

Yes you're right, I will do that asap. It's just difficult to get one's head around the rules and options.

Ziggy777

Quick Reply

Latest