The Student Room Group

Revison Advice

We hope exams and revision are going well for everyone, we all know what a tough time this is.

And whilst as a team we might not be much use in helping you understand your periodic table from the pluperfect subjunctive, we’ve been thinking of a few tips from our experiences, both at school and work to help you keep on top of everything and make sure you’re in best form ahead of your next exam. What have you found that works best for you? Let us know.

1) Remember to take a break
“Making time for a break and exercise as part of my routine has really helped to clear my head and reset after any intensive period of thinking. Taking some time away from work and getting some fresh air isn’t always possible, but even the shortest of breaks really improves concentration levels, and helps restart with a sharper mind-set.”

2) Eat properly
“I think we’re all guilty of letting this slide from time to time, but eating well is especially important when you’re under a period of stress. That’s not to say the occasional bar of chocolate doesn’t help, but in the main I always find I am more alert when I’ve been eating properly. Again, so simple but it really does help.

3) Prioritise your workload
“The to-do list is rarely empty, but I find if I take five minutes to organise everything and understand what is to be done and how important it is, there are some things that naturally fall off. The ‘EisenhowerBox’ is a great matrix for helping organise my workload, helping me organise tasks according to how important they are against how urgent they are. Anything that falls into both categories take priority, and I plan my day accordingly.”

4) Talk with others
“Neither revision nor work mean you have to be chained to a desk, not to talk to anyone else, and I always find discussing ideas and problems with others a far better approach. It helps provide a fresh perspective on a topic, and sometimes hearing something put in a different way makes it more memorable. At other times, you’ll find yourself knowing more than everyone else, and a small boost from that never hurts!”

What options have you found are best for helping you through revision and exams? Hopefully we can spread some help for everyone, good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Has anyone else found that other tips work better since finishing your exams? How did you get on? Let us know we'd love to hear what worked for you on what subjects!
Nice tips. I do adopt a few of the suggestions from your list (i.e. taking breaks, eating well and surrounding myself with people).
Reply 3
Well i wrote a bunch of helpful tips which wasn't recognised but they definitely work.
Reply 4
Original post by Sagul
Well i wrote a bunch of helpful tips which wasn't recognised but they definitely work.

I would appreciate if I could see them?
Original post by alexp98

Yes please feel free to share! We'd love to hear how you prepare yourself for exams!
Reply 6
Original post by alexp98

Original post by M&S Careers team
Yes please feel free to share! We'd love to hear how you prepare yourself for exams!

the thread is called 'helpful revision techniques Tips and Tricks'
Reply 7
Original post by Sagul
the thread is called 'helpful revision techniques Tips and Tricks'

But you removed the tips...?
Hi guys, good news! Our School Leaver Scheme and Graduate Scheme applications have just opened. You can find out more information and how to apply here: careers.marksandspencer.comGood luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending