The Student Room Group

Returning a £250 monitor to PC world

Today, I went to PC world to return a monitor I no longer want. There is nothing wrong with it at all - just that I have a better one. I went to the customer service help-desk, told them that the screen randomly switches off every 5-10 minutes. They then asked me to show them the fault. At this point, I felt defeated, but I went along with my story. A guy came and unpacked the monitor and plugged it into the wall. He said that they won't return it if they can't see the fault (Is this enshrined in their policy, or is it just one picky guy's request?). He turned it on and told me to come back half hour later. I did just that. Of course, when I returned, I was told that there is nothing wrong with it at all, and that it may be a problem with my HDMI cable. Damn, I thought. Now I'm stuck with it.

Unless... I purposely sabotage it. You know, by poring water inside of it, or putting a magnet near it - cutting a wire or two? Then, I'll take it back to a different store, show them that it is in fact faulty, and claim my £250. Is this legal? Where do you draw the boundaries here? I mean, £250 is a lot of money for a student to have...
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/returns-cancellations-878-theme.html

Read this stuff, it's their returns policy. Figure out your plan from there.
Original post by Michael P

Unless... I purposely sabotage it. You know, by poring water inside of it, or putting a magnet near it - cutting a wire or two? Then, I'll take it back to a different store, show them that it is in fact faulty, and claim my £250. Is this legal? Where do you draw the boundaries here? I mean, £250 is a lot of money for a student to have...

that would be water damage and nothing to do with them since it would be your fault and not theirs.

I'm sure that's not okay, and you would have to be very careful about not making it obvious.

Point is, so long as you've opened the box they don't have to take it back if there isn't anything wrong with it and if you break it on purpose and they figure it out that's fraud and they may choose to call the police (though very unlikely).

More than likely they'll just make you keep it and then you'll have this worthless product or they'll just send it for repairs and not offer you a refund.

Quick Reply

Latest