The Student Room Group

How many hours do you spend on IB homework?

Scroll to see replies

I never had an all-nighter if you can believe it, for IB. I usually get home around 5pm on a normal school day with after school activities. I start homework around 7pm and work until about 11.30, later if I had something pressing. Of course, I had weekends where I don't do anything but IA so...

But I know a guy a year before me who came into school the day his EE was due, having stayed up all night, with the essay still in loose sheets of paper, hot off the printer and his hair sticking up all over the place. It was due at 8 o'clock and he was at school at 7, going around madly photocopying (because the school required 2 copies) and trying to get it spiral-bound in time. :p:
Reply 21
well im always awake going my homework...staying in a bording school it sux as i barely have any time...
lets see... for a lab report- 5 hours approximately..

math- no more than an hour..
english- hour and a half- just trying to respect the time limit on the actual exam..
french- oh 2-3 hours, because it takes a lot of time, usually its long, and its questions so it takes time to find the quotes and stuff..
history- 2 hours regularly- answer questions..
economics- half an hour...

but every night i work around 2-3 hours, and now its going to get worse, because i want to get a 36 or something like that.. the first time dd really bad- underestimated the ib *ashamed*
Does it count as an all-nighter if you sleep polyphasically?
Reply 24
Throughout my IB experience I had only pulled off one all nighter and that was because I had my math portfolio due the next day and even though I had it all prepared, I had to type it up as my math teacher had a lot of trouble reading me handwriting, so I was up the whole night finding ways to do all kinds of weird math symbols on the computer...

In IB1 I only did 2 hours of work per night, and studied like crazy before exams, in IB2 it was more like 5 hours per night...
I spent ages on my math portfolio (type I more than II). I think I'd have died if I had to type it up. I'd definitely make typos and mistakes and mess it all up. Though I nearly went mad the day it was due because I got to school in the morning and thought I left it at home, went home to get it and realised it was in my bag all this time. crazy day that was...
Reply 26
why do you think it took me the whole night, because I had a mistake or typo or the wrong siymbol every two words, I literally went insane, and then I realised that I was using different style graphs throughout the portfolio (I used a graphing software) and got paranoid so I did every graph again as I wanted them all to look the same, there was about 30 graphs, the worst night of my life it was...

When you got home I bet you went even more insane when you couldn't find it, where is the god damn thing. I remember that happened to me once and I was literally losing my mind, I actually started to question myself on the actual existence of the piece of work, I fell into doubt as I wasn't sure if I had actually done the assignment, never thought anyone or anythign would have the power to play with my brain, but the IB did....
simarik
When you got home I bet you went even more insane when you couldn't find it, where is the god damn thing. I remember that happened to me once and I was literally losing my mind, I actually started to question myself on the actual existence of the piece of work, I fell into doubt as I wasn't sure if I had actually done the assignment, never thought anyone or anythign would have the power to play with my brain, but the IB did....

sounds about right...
Reply 28
Gahh!!! Am starting IB next year and you people are TERRIFYING me!:eek: I could never pull an all-nighter. I've never worked until past 11 PM. I can't, my brain just switches off.

:frown:
it's exactly the same here, except that my brain switches off at 2100 :biggrin:
so, no worries, if you've got some brains, you should do really well without all-nighters
dont worry I have never really stayed up all night either. it's doable without all nighters if you somehow manage your time well
Reply 31
Hah. I don't manage my time well at all. Procrastination owns me ...
Oh well, at least I get my work done by .. 1:30 am x_X
Reply 32
Right now I'm having an all-nighter as mocks are coming up.
I've probably had 30 all-nighters throughout a year and a half. I started off nicely, going to bed at 11 every night. Now it's so bad that I normally go home, sleep, wake up at midnight and work. But I am trying to reverse my sleeping patterns.... It doesn't have to do with procrastination although.
Reply 33
HMSChocolate
But I know a guy a year before me who came into school the day his EE was due, having stayed up all night, with the essay still in loose sheets of paper, hot off the printer and his hair sticking up all over the place. It was due at 8 o'clock and he was at school at 7, going around madly photocopying (because the school required 2 copies) and trying to get it spiral-bound in time. :p:

Hahaha. I love the image of that. Too bad I feel a sense of irony coming up since I'll probably be doing that as well when our EE is due o_O

Never had an all-nighter? Wow *admires*
Haha, I've never had all nighters for IB as well. I'm one of those who switches off at 11... I like my sleep. I just don't think spending the whole night on work is worth the amount of sleep that you get :p: On homework, er I don't really count. Depends really. Quite lazy in that homework department. I usually do the bare minimum... except for science write ups. Those annoy me quite a bit. I put more effort on those and so far I only have one 3/3 and that's for chem. None for bio yet. Usually when it gets to 11 I just don't bother anymore and leave it till the next day.

With cw and EE it's different though. I don't do those the night before. Actually use my free periods to type a bit each time. With those I'm also willing to go past 11... till say 1 :p: Just one of those non-nocturnal IB student.
Reply 35
The concept of homework at my school hasnt hit the fan yet...and i am in year 2. closest i have come to an "all nighter" was about 12h at night. even then i did it while watching a film. despite this, i still am predicted a 35. The IB has been a relative easy way at our school i think. not very demand except on lecturer who is demanding but even then its only economics...
Reply 36
silver_charm18
Has anyone pulled all-nighters??

In the IB, surprisingly no. I have however gone to bed at 3-4 am yes (and then gotten 3 hours sleep!) and I have also sometime tried to change my timezone by sleeping as soon as i get home and wake up and do my homework at 1 am. Wasn't a very good idea.

But it varies, when it comes to the hours. Sometimes more than 6, sometimes none.
Reply 37
I went to bed recently at 3:30 doing a final project for theatre. That was the latest I've ever stayed up, but that was my own fault. I won't say that it's time management issues, because usually I'm on top of my work. Some thing, however, I can't find any impetus to do them until I just feel like it. If I'm not feeling it, I sit in front of my computer, and it takes me 2 hours to write a paragraph. With this theatre project, all my ideas suddently came to me at like 12 the night beforehand, so that's when I started, and I was done by 3.

Does this happen to anyone else?
Reply 38
zackinbaltimore
I went to bed recently at 3:30 doing a final project for theatre. That was the latest I've ever stayed up, but that was my own fault. I won't say that it's time management issues, because usually I'm on top of my work. Some thing, however, I can't find any impetus to do them until I just feel like it. If I'm not feeling it, I sit in front of my computer, and it takes me 2 hours to write a paragraph. With this theatre project, all my ideas suddently came to me at like 12 the night beforehand, so that's when I started, and I was done by 3.

Does this happen to anyone else?

;yes;
I usually started all my lab reports 2-3 days before their deadline. I only did this because into's annoyed me, and I knew that I'd be able to write the CE only the night before (usually started it at 12-1 am).
I wrote my WLE in the am time;yes; (all 8 drafts:p: )
it's work under pressure:p: as well as inspiration caused my tiredness :p:
Reply 39
all nighter?
not worth it
i stayed up till 2AM every day during the exam weeks in may, but that's it
although i did stay up untill 5AM once to catch up with LOST

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending