The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature: An Inspector Calls and Heroes

Any predictions for Heroes in particular? I have no idea how to link it to context or a deeper meaning. What's Cormier's underlining message? Post your predictions here and hopefully we can help some people.

Personally for AIC I think either Sheila, Mrs Birling or Younger vs Older gen. Possibly gender as well.

Keeps this strictly AIC and Heroes please.
Reply 1
For heroes, our teacher has stressed to revise how the theme of heroism and role models is presented throughout the book, cos that's the major theme and it has never been asked on an essay question.
Regarding character, it has only been on the spec for three years now and they've set one character question on each of the main characters, so that's going to be harder to predict. The relationships between characters are important to revise though apparently.
Reply 2
When exploring the real meaning Cormier is trying to give, for me I think he wants the reader to question the, not only real heroes in the book, but also if such thing as a 'hero' exists as well as questioning our definition of a hero. Within an essay about morality you could discuss ideas of how characters appear to be moral (to themselves and to others), for example the great Larry LaSalle is glorified immensely by French Town and all the kids at the Wreck Centre, yet at the climax we see a different side to him - as do Francis and Nicole - that make us question his morality and heroic status (bearing in mind that he himself feels no guilt), but since he is still seen as a 'hero' to the rest of French Town, this 'reputation' becomes to seem more like a facade and his 'Silver Star' as a mask. However, when discussing the idea that Larry gives Francis of if one bad thing erases all the good, this may be another point to explore in your essay. You can also talk about the morals that Larry did like bringing hope to French Town, giving confidence to children, letting Francis win the ping pong to bring up his reputation...despite his actual motives of these 'heart warming' actions being unclear.

Bringing in the 'Silver Star' and other symbols like the Wreck Centre, Book of 'Heroic' Soldier or the dress that became covered in blood at the wedding could be another way you explore how morality and heroism is portrayed in the novel. I also think it's a good idea to discuss the theme of Religion like the Nuns who gave Nicole sanctuary after her assault as an idea of asylum, or the idea of Religion and 'dishonour' that dissuaded Francis from jumping from the steeple to his death.

To answer your question about relating to context, remember the World War II happening simultaneously throughout the story. One way this is an influence in the plot is when Pearl Harbour is bombed which is what influences Larry LaSalle and the other soldiers to go to war (who are inspired by Larry.) Other ways to involve the idea of war could be by comparing Nicole's innocence and "purity" being 'taken' by Larry similar to the War taking the peace from the world.

The underlying meaning for me is Cormier questioning the existence of heroes by using his characters as devices. As Larry says "We love the things that make us evil" or "Everybody sins, Francis," arousing the accusation of a heroic stance being perhaps unachievable by humans. Maybe we assign people as 'heroes' like the people of French Town did because we need the hope and the feel of safety/comfort by relying on somebody. This could even be someone who doesn't 'want' to be a hero or who doesn't 'feel' like a hero, alike the "scared boys" who were fighting in the war. This is most obviously linked to the historical context of the war and how it seemed there was no hope so people needed 'heroes' to keep them going with what seemed like a way out.

The meaning and definition of a Hero is made ambiguous by Cormier which I feel was his aim. The character's morals and heroism is all subjective to different perspectives so you can argue it in different ways. I say just try and make the questions as your own and say what you really think about the book.

For me I feel it may be a Nicole question but who's to know. Best of luck anyway. It'll be done soon haha :-)
Linking Heroes to context isn't too bad once you get to know it. Cormier said himself that the purpose for writing the book was to 'recognise the heroic acts of ordinary people'. It's primarily about provoking the reader to question whether heroes truly exist, as many of the heroic acts in the book can be questioned (Francis jumping on the grenade - percieved as heroic but he really did it to kill himself, Larry's character entirely etc). Just make sure you nail the context, characters and main relationships. Difficult to predict what may come up, any suggestions would be really helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending