The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Merton College (Oxford) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

I think other colleges are mixed up, mostly. But as joth said this year Merton will be mixed as well so you might get Rose Lane.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 101
big A
Is that just for Merton? Is accomodation in other colleges completely mixed? Rose Lane accomodation is the thing that made me shortlist Merton as an option, is there really little chance to live there if you are a guy?

Did you read all/any of the post?! It explains it all!
"As I said, your year is the first they're mixing properly."
"The only restriction I've heard is that they're not going to put girls on the ground floor of Merton Street, for their safety."
It would suggest that there's now definitely a good a chance as any other of going there as a guy. :smile:
Reply 102
Siddharta is the right person to ask this question as he's going to do Chemistry at Merton in 2007.
I just want to check something. In the big pack of stuff that came today, one of letters said that there should be the JCR Freshers' Guide, but I just have a welfare guide which doesn't have anything that the letter mentioned. Is everyone's the same, and does the guide really matter anyway?
Reply 104
tbtommyb
I just want to check something. In the big pack of stuff that came today, one of letters said that there should be the JCR Freshers' Guide, but I just have a welfare guide which doesn't have anything that the letter mentioned. Is everyone's the same, and does the guide really matter anyway?

Well, why would you want to miss out on the guide? "Not important"??!?

I'm not at home today so I can't check my own post for you. Maybe somebody else can help.
r3m0t
Well, why would you want to miss out on the guide? "Not important"??!?

I'm not at home today so I can't check my own post for you. Maybe somebody else can help.

Well, it depends on what's in it. It might just be stuff that I already know from here and Facebook and stuff, or it might be stuffed full of lovely new information.
Whilst we're on the subject - anything that urgently needs to be filled in in that pack? Because knowing the mail here ill get it with about 5 minutes to spare before it needs to be mailed again :s
Reply 107
Probably student finance (use the website) and maybe the medical form. (Compile the dates of all your immunisations...)
Reply 108
Full list of stuff:

A three page document listing all the documents enclosed (they missed a few...) and most of your actions necessary from here.

JCR Guide for International Students
JCR Guide for all Freshers
Finance info
Invitation to a matriculation dinner
Contract with university - you have to sign this and send it back before you do online registration. You should aim to do online registration before fresher's week.
Contract with college
Timetable
A letter from the development director about the parents' dinner
User ID for online registration
Information about Merton Boat Club (I didn't get this, but I don't really mind, ha ha)

(stuff they forgot to list)
Welfare guide
An advert from a sub fusc supplier including an order form
The letter from the senior tutor that counts as proof of your university place
A letter about winter ball
The form for winter ball
A flyer about the careers service
A booklet about how to register

Hope that helps :P I don't see any obvious deadlines...
Looks like I just missed the Freshers' thing and the Boat Club bit. Oh well, I doubt it's vital. Was there anything really good in it? I was sent two copies of the College contract, for some reason. I guess they must be quite pressured to get everything sent out.
I didn't get the boat club thing either......not that I can see myself getting involved with that. My last attempt ended up with me going round in circles and having to be rescued :biggrin:
r3m0t
Full list of stuff:

A three page document listing all the documents enclosed (they missed a few...) and most of your actions necessary from here.

. . . . . . . .

Hope that helps :P I don't see any obvious deadlines...

Thanks a lot r3mot !! (hehe accidental rhymes ftw)
Reply 112
tbtommyb
Looks like I just missed the Freshers' thing and the Boat Club bit. Oh well, I doubt it's vital. Was there anything really good in it? I was sent two copies of the College contract, for some reason. I guess they must be quite pressured to get everything sent out.

Looks like an epidemic! (I lack both of those too.) I sent off an e-mail to the male welfare rep ([email protected]) so I will forward to any of you if possible.

Well, it has the link to the freshers' forum for Merton, and probably also tells you how to buy sub fusc (etc) from the people who graduated. It might also tell you your college parents. So yes, some of it (not all!) is important.

I was searching for it and I found somebody who's flyer said they wanted to provide every fresher with a map in their room giving personal directions to the college bar! I wonder if he got elected...

sherunsaway: please get involved, tell me when you do so that I can get a helicopter camera... :biggrin:

By the way I hope everybody's joined the freshers facebook groups! :smile:
Reply 113
But on other matters: who here wants to go to the merton ball?

http://www.mertonball.com/

It's quite a bit of money, but they only throw a ball once every three years. Obviously there must be plenty of smaller bops throughout the year.

It's only fun if other people go, so I want to gauge interest...
Oh, who are you on the Facebook, if you don't mind me being nosey/stalkerish? I'll definitely be going to the ball, but probably non-dining. It sounds like a very big thing, so I'd say most people are going. I'm trying to get a friend from home to come down for it, so I'm hoping they'll have the college looking amazing for it :smile: (is it bad to want to show off your college?). I wonder what happens to Mertonians who don't go to it. Isn't it in the college grounds, so they'd have to spend the night in their room looking out the window at everyone having fun?
Reply 115
tbtommyb
Oh, who are you on the Facebook, if you don't mind me being nosey/stalkerish? I'll definitely be going to the ball, but probably non-dining. It sounds like a very big thing, so I'd say most people are going. I'm trying to get a friend from home to come down for it, so I'm hoping they'll have the college looking amazing for it :smile: (is it bad to want to show off your college?). I wonder what happens to Mertonians who don't go to it. Isn't it in the college grounds, so they'd have to spend the night in their room looking out the window at everyone having fun?

Well they could always do the cheap thing: the college bar or formal hall.

My username here is my real first name backwards (long and sad story) so you can find me with the slightly too long hair in the merton freshers group. I'de like to befriend henryt, too. :-)
Oh yes, I saw someone post a similar message about the ball in one of the discussions and I thought it was you. I'm liking the hair, btw. Gosh, I'm going to turn into such a Facebook starter lol. But surely the ball would go on for ages? I would just feel like I'm missing out. I kind of assumed that most people would be going to it. Even if you don't know anyone now who'll be at it you're bound to by the time November comes around.
Reply 117
tbtommyb
Oh yes, I saw someone post a similar message about the ball in one of the discussions and I thought it was you. I'm liking the hair, btw. Gosh, I'm going to turn into such a Facebook starter lol. But surely the ball would go on for ages? I would just feel like I'm missing out. I kind of assumed that most people would be going to it. Even if you don't know anyone now who'll be at it you're bound to by the time November comes around.

Hehe, the hair was at its longest ever (right before a hair cut).

I don't really think I'm a "ball person" or "bop person" (and certainly not a clubber) so I wonder if the people who will be going are going to be (no off) the people I make friends with.
Reply 118
r3m0t
Well they could always do the cheap thing: the college bar or formal hall.

My username here is my real first name backwards (long and sad story) so you can find me with the slightly too long hair in the merton freshers group. I'de like to befriend henryt, too. :-)

We both have stylishly foppish hair AND we're both doing something Mathsy. Deffo! :biggrin: (I'll add you on facebook now...)
Re: Ball - I am going, partly because it should be epic (Narnia!), partly because my friends are badgering me to, partly because I want to!
Reply 119
Re: ball - you won't be able to go to the bar or Formal that night as most of college is off-limits to those without tickets. Not quite sure how it works if you do want to stay in your room... I think they make you leave for a few hours around the beginning of the ball but you'd have to ask someone on the ball committee. Of course it's a lot of money if you won't enjoy yourself, but if you're just not sure it may well be worth giving it a try (no I'm not on the ball committee and selling it, this is just what I think). It will take up the whole of college, you'll be able to hear it from your room so getting work done won't be easy, and it will (for most people) be the only one that happens in your Oxford career.

Of course do what you like, but I'd wait til I got here before ruling it out maybe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending