The Student Room Group

AQA English Language AS Level 2015 2nd June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tabatha Gregg
Has anyone got any notes at all for Language and Technology? We haven't been given anything.Thank you!

I'd suggest going on a website called Quizlet, it has lots of resources created by students like yourself doing the same topics. you just search for what you're looking for, its been really helpful for my revision on language and power.
how much time do you spend on section a / b
Reply 82
The exam is 2hrs long
Section a is 1hr- 15min going throigh texts and planning groupings and 45min writing
Section b is 1hr

Original post by fatimazahid
how much time do you spend on section a / b
I am really nervous about section B, in 2012 for Language and Technology there was a transcript what would have I wrote about it.
Plus is it safe to only revise Technology and leave Power and Gender.
Reply 84
Pick a large grouping E.g audience then u have loads to write about on the lingustic techniques like gramma and lexis etc. If you have a larger grouping there is more to write about therefore meaning you can write about less groups. Hope then makes sense
Reply 85
Can someone please share a list of theorists that they have on Language and Power, Gender and Technology please?
Reply 86
Original post by Hannah_1998
I am really nervous about section B, in 2012 for Language and Technology there was a transcript what would have I wrote about it.

I'm only revising gender as it is the only one I am confident in! There is no harm in focusing on one if you know your stuff as you'll get a choice between either tech, power, gender. The only thing is, many people have been told to stay away from technology as it is the most difficult but if you're confident in it - go for it! Good luck x
Reply 87
Original post by harryjl
Can someone please share a list of theorists that they have on Language and Power, Gender and Technology please?

Here's the ones I have for gender

Robin Lakoff
Zimmerman and West
Beattie
Pamela Fishman
Peter Trudgill
Jennifer Coates
Deborah Cameron
Gareth Davies
Jenny Cheshire
Pilkington
Reply 88
Original post by lafa
Here's the ones I have for gender

Robin Lakoff
Zimmerman and West
Beattie
Pamela Fishman
Peter Trudgill
Jennifer Coates
Deborah Cameron
Gareth Davies
Jenny Cheshire
Pilkington

Thanks for sharing, am I correct to believe that Deborah Cameron's theory is that there are no differences in gender (The Myth between Mars and Venus) and the Pygmalion theory that 'Men shape women'?
Reply 89
Original post by harryjl
Thanks for sharing, am I correct to believe that Deborah Cameron's theory is that there are no differences in gender (The Myth between Mars and Venus) and the Pygmalion theory that 'Men shape women'?

My notes say;

Women have been instructed in the proper ways of talking just as they have been instructed in the proper ways of dressing, in the use of cosmetics, and in other 'feminine' kinds of behaviour. The acceptance of a 'proper' speech style, Cameron describes as 'verbal hygiene'.
Reply 90
Original post by lafa
My notes say;

Women have been instructed in the proper ways of talking just as they have been instructed in the proper ways of dressing, in the use of cosmetics, and in other 'feminine' kinds of behaviour. The acceptance of a 'proper' speech style, Cameron describes as 'verbal hygiene'.

Ok thanks! Can you tell me what Gareth Davies said please? Thank you!
Reply 91

I was not taught technology, but my teacher says to go in with an open mind and see which question seems the easiest to do, but I'm just going to to power I hate gender...

I'd say that it's best to try and revise 2 topics but then again if you feel confident enough with just doing technology then go for it!
Has anyone got any good phrases or sentence starters that can be used in the exam tomorrow
Are there any threads for AS level Law Unit 2 AQA and English Language Edexcel??
Reply 95
Original post by lastminutestudy
Has anyone got any good phrases or sentence starters that can be used in the exam tomorrow

I'm not sure if this will help as it's quite basic but this is what my teacher provided us with if we get stuck!

My first grouping will be _. Text _ and _ can be grouped because they both aim to _. They both…
However, the texts are different because…… My second grouping will be_ “QUOTATION - illustrating my points, explaining the effect of such language and why it is still used.”… Text _ and _ can be grouped as they are _. They contain many _ linguistic features…
However, text_ is more _ than text _ because the audience is…Text _ is different from texts _ and _ because…
My final grouping is_

MUST DISCUSS DIFFERENCES IN THE GROUP - SHOWS HIGHER LEVEL ABILITY.
Original post by lafa
I'm not sure if this will help as it's quite basic but this is what my teacher provided us with if we get stuck!

My first grouping will be _. Text _ and _ can be grouped because they both aim to _. They both…
However, the texts are different because…… My second grouping will be_ “QUOTATION - illustrating my points, explaining the effect of such language and why it is still used.”… Text _ and _ can be grouped as they are _. They contain many _ linguistic features…
However, text_ is more _ than text _ because the audience is…Text _ is different from texts _ and _ because…
My final grouping is_

MUST DISCUSS DIFFERENCES IN THE GROUP - SHOWS HIGHER LEVEL ABILITY.

Ahh yes thank you so much that was very helpful!!
Hi all,
I did this course last year and am resitting ENGB1, just wondering how different places structure the categorising text question as my teacher last year was pretty rubbish and never actually told us a structure!
Anyway, needing an A for uni so it has to go better this time, any last tips from a fresh perspective?
Guys how do you create a sub group?
Original post by MJS107
I was not taught technology, but my teacher says to go in with an open mind and see which question seems the easiest to do, but I'm just going to to power I hate gender...

I wouldn't recommend going in 'knowing' which question you will do for part B, I did this last year (choosing power) and can speak from experience when I say that the people who did the best went in with an open mind and enough information about each topic to choose the best one for them. Personally, having studied this for another year and with the hindsight of an A2 student, I would avoid power like the plague unless it is a political speech because gender is the easiest to pick up marks on even if you hate the topic because it is highly commons sense based and it is easier to hit the mark scheme with a gender question. Technology is definitely the hardest though just because there is so little to say and no theories to supplement AO2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending