The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Durham is a very small city with an intense, but limited nightlife. For more information, why not check out the wiki, FAQ or dozens of other threads about various aspects of Durham's nightlife "Best Club"; "Cheapest Pub" all that lot -very useful, as is the section on college bars.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Also remember that Durham universiy is spread over the city, which is really cool. If you went to York you'd have to travel to a campus every day.
Reply 3
York is poo.

My work here is done :smile:
Reply 4
Visit both, give some time over the decision. Talk to students from both. Go with what you want not because of statistics/rumours etc. No one else can make the decision for you :smile: Where do you want to spenbd 3 years?
Reply 5
NickiM
Visit both, give some time over the decision. Talk to students from both. Go with what you want not because of statistics/rumours etc. No one else can make the decision for you :smile: Where do you want to spenbd 3 years?

Hiya
Just out of interest...

What were your reasons for choosing Durham over York / Nottingham
Reply 6
because its one of the best places to study history i would have thought.
Reply 7
Chloedanielle
Hiya
Just out of interest...

What were your reasons for choosing Durham over York / Nottingham

Well, I haven't seen Nottingham yet, so, why at the moment I've chosen Durham over York.

- I liked how Durham felt to me like Cambridge, a city which I really liked. I could just walk into Durham, and it would be small enough to not be intimidating but big enough to not feel like everyone knows your business. I found the York campus, alright, but a bit enclosed

- Aesthetically, York felt a bit "concretey" to me, Durham was really pretty

- The college I have chosen in Durham has a flute choir, I want to keep on doing music, and it's just another thing to get involved in. I know York is good for music, but it was just an added incentive.

- Both courses looked really good actually, it was the other factors which swung it for me.

It just felt right for me, others may not like Durham and prefer York. No doubt, York would be a good place to study, but it's going to take Nottingham to be very amazing for it to become my firm. (and if it was, I wouldn't be able to have Durham as an insurance, and would have to have Lancaster)
Reply 8
I've visited York and Durham. Hated York - as someone else said, it was very 1960's concretey. Although York itself is nice, I felt let-down by the campus. Plus the lake was mucky as hell and they reckoned they'd just cleaned it! So yeah. Went on a Wednesday Durham tour and although it was cold and wet and miserable, it still seemed pretty and nice. I like the cosy atmosphere it has, some may find that claustrophobic, but if that's the kind of thing for you, then go to Durham. And the river running through the city is quite nice too, went in autumn and all the leaves were falling on it as rowers went by. *sigh* So yes, pick Durham. :p:
Reply 9
I had to make that decision too but Durham is far nicer...glad I made the decision I did now. Enjoying it here so much.
Reply 10
Chloedanielle
I have my firm sorted out now but I am unsure where to head as my insurance???

For me its come down to York and Durham with York edging slightly ahead...

Any help, advice, more info of what its like to be a student in Durham would be great

Thank You

xx

Holding offers from both but after visiting York it is way down my list. But it's about wherever you feel you will have the best experience. Durham's big advantage is its college system. They make participation in a whole load of things so much easier and generally provide support that is closer at hand. York has some good Depts and good courses. York is a nice city but the campus is a mess unless you are keen on hundreds of ducks.
Reply 11
I think Durham's the more respected institution but if its a nightlife you're after then forget it! The main thing that put me off York when i went to an open day is that the whole place is covered in bird ****. I'm not kidding-it's everywhere. Maybe you shouldn't make a uni choice on varying quantities of bird poo but it really disconcerted me. I'd go for Durhma personally-and the college lifestyle is unique to that and a very few other places
Reply 12
I've heard that York's nightlife is one of the most appalling in the country. Couldn't substantiate it though.

Durham is amazing. I love it so much here.
Even Durham has better nightlife than York.

For your own sake,please pick Durham!
Reply 14
Durham also has better beer than York, fact. (i.e I went out in York and didn't like the beer, hence I will make a huge generalisation)
HOLY ****, I want to make York my firm and Durham insurance (I would be at Stockton Campus mind you!!).....I would think York would be more fun in such a case.

Mind you I live outside of England and have never visited York, however my brother spent 3 years at Durham Stockton Campus for Business as well and loved it due to his obsession with football.

Any ideas?

Really appreciated mates!
Reply 16
Will you get a chance to see York?
Don't know if that was directed at me or not, but no, I dont think I'll have a chance (maybe I will, but after I decide). York just seems nicer in comparison to Durham (when talking about stockton campus).

NickiM
Will you get a chance to see York?
Reply 18
Oh, yes, sorry it was aimed at you. I am sorry, but I don't know much about the Stockton campus.
Reply 19
chocolateflake99
Even Durham has better nightlife than York.

For your own sake,please pick Durham!

Admittedly I am commenting from a limited point of view, but on campus I've been told there are more bars than people!

Latest

Trending

Trending