The Student Room Group

Aqa unit 3 sociology: Beliefs in society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shaena
How does everyone write their essays? Because since I did GCSE and AS sociology I always did for against for against but my teacher went to a conference thing and the chief examiner said she now wants for for against as she prefers it? Sometimes it's abit confusing and I'm not sure which way to write the essay lol

I think it's usually better to do all of you 'for' points together and all your 'against' points together, whilst criticising each point along the way? :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by danielbrazier
What would the structure for this question be?

assess the view that science has replaced religion as the main ideological influence in society today

Also what is new age movements and how would I structure an essay on it?

For the ideology science one you would just talk about how globalisation has led science and technology possibly becoming the main ideological influence because people are looking at rational ways to think rather than irrational ones (Weber says this) and therefore people only turn to religion when science can't provide answers such as life after death (this would be a for point) and the other for points would just be things from securitisation which you would relate to why science is now the most important ideological function and religion is not and also things like people are no longer interested in traditions and being told what to do which causes a disinterestedness/decline in traditional religions such as Christianity and Islam and a turn to new age or spiritual movements and science because people loose faith in religion when natural disasters happen or loved ones are taken etc
Reply 42
Original post by meganlydiaa
New religious movements have never come up as a 33 mark, so my bets are on that being one of the 33markers

What do you think that the wording of the question would be?
Original post by Shaena
For the ideology science one you would just talk about how globalisation has led science and technology possibly becoming the main ideological influence because people are looking at rational ways to think rather than irrational ones (Weber says this) and therefore people only turn to religion when science can't provide answers such as life after death (this would be a for point) and the other for points would just be things from securitisation which you would relate to why science is now the most important ideological function and religion is not and also things like people are no longer interested in traditions and being told what to do which causes a disinterestedness/decline in traditional religions such as Christianity and Islam and a turn to new age or spiritual movements and science because people loose faith in religion when natural disasters happen or loved ones are taken etc

Thanks a lot appreciate it :smile:
Reply 44
I would love religion as a force of social change!
Reply 45
anyone know how to put the ideology part in science and ideology into a paragraph?like im struggling to explain it..any suggestions?
Reply 46
How do you all structure your answers? Particularly 33 markers?
A van got robbed with AQA papers and crime and deviance was one of the ones that got taken. So they had to write a new paper for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could globalisation come up as a 33 marker?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any final predictions?? I hope secularism and ethnicity come up.
for some reason I have a gut feeling that sects are going to come up! I also think a globalisation and secularisation question could appear... these are just my guesses though!
Reply 51
I feel like science too - a few people think cults are gonna come as well.
Reply 52
Does anyone have a plan or any key points that they would use/cover if Globalisation did come up as the 33 marker?
Reply 53
Just to clarify, should I be revising theories and methods for this exam? Or in other words, does this exam use theories and methods or is that exclusively for SCLY4? I appreciate it is ridiculously late to not understand the spec for the exam, but I am woefully under prepared.
Reply 54
Theories and methods are in the unit 4 spec, not unit 3. However if you knoww some of it for unit 3 it will probably help when answering questions mainly theory x
There is no mention of globalisation in any of the Religion sections in my AQA textbooks. Ugh!
I'm not going to risk it and predict because its the last before they change the spec, so anything could come up! Good luck guys, any chance anyone can help me secularisation? thank you
Reply 57
Original post by nlp31_
Theories and methods are in the unit 4 spec, not unit 3. However if you knoww some of it for unit 3 it will probably help when answering questions mainly theory x

Thank you!
Reply 58
had a chat with my teacher a few weeks ago and he reckons the topics that are likely to come up are: functionalism, religious organisations and secularisation
Reply 59
Original post by JessH31
had a chat with my teacher a few weeks ago and he reckons the topics that are likely to come up are: functionalism, religious organisations and secularisation

I agree- functionalism especially, also science

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending