The Student Room Group

Do you have to go Sixth form if you applied for Navy?

Hello!

a few weeks ago I applied for the Royal Navy and today took my recruitment test and passed it for the Job I want (Aircraft Controller) and have to go for a proper Interview in around a months time. Im halfway through my GCSEs in Year 11 at the moment and after year 11 im signed up to go to my Local sixth form.

Providing all goes well in my interview and tests next month, will i still have to stay in Education at Sixth from or collage if I am joining the Navy? or will the navy count as 'Further Education'

Thankyou! :smile:
For the Aircraft Controller all you need are GCSEs and A Levels are not required. As you are learning on the job (and getting qualifications whilst you're at it) it should count. It says: "Training will be a constant feature of your time with us. We’ll help you gain academic qualifications such as GCSEs, A-levels and even a degree. You can also work towards NVQs and other vocational awards".

So I think it will count especially as it says 16+. I'm sure you'll be fine.
Just be aware that the waiting list to join the Royal Navy varies from 6 months to 2 years. Ask the Careers adviser at your interview how long it is for Aircraft controller. You could therefore go to college and study a BTEC Diploma in Uniformed Public services which is an ideal course for preparing for the Navy if you have the time.
Reply 3
Thank you both for the replies. I asked about the waiting time today and the waiting time is around 1 year for Aircraft controller
Original post by Hollix11
Thank you both for the replies. I asked about the waiting time today and the waiting time is around 1 year for Aircraft controller

Although, the government requires that everyone who does not achieve a C grade in both English and Maths you must study it till 17 anyway, If you're okay all will be well.

Quick Reply

Latest