The Student Room Group

Annoying Arabian customs

to all my fellow Arabs,what are the most annoying/traditional customs in our culture?
I think for me,not personally as my mum was completely westernised would be girls not being able to sleep outside of her parents house(unless with relatives or not being able to live alone(I know this is hugely frowned upon) until she's married. Like,Khalas,it's so backdated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Having to eat about 3 times what you can physically fit in your body when visiting relatives...:sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by small_circles
Having to eat about 3 times what you can physically fit in your body when visiting relatives...:sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry, that's not only Arabian, being of Indian origin and having friends from different cultures that's a huge custom

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahhah this
Calling your elders khala/amo even though they're actually not your aunty or uncle lol

I guess I don't mind too much as it's a sign of respect...
Original post by queen-bee
to all my fellow Arabs,what are the most annoying/traditional customs in our culture?
I think for me,not personally as my mum was completely westernised would be girls not being able to sleep outside of her parents house(unless with relatives or not being able to live alone(I know this is hugely frowned upon) until she's married. Like,Khalas,it's so backdated.

sloots gonna sloot
Reply 6
Original post by childofthesun
Calling your elders khala/amo even though they're actually not your aunty or uncle lol

I guess I don't mind too much as it's a sign of respect...

Respect is such a big aspect in these cultures,that's a good thing!
Reply 7
Original post by Bealzibub
sloots gonna sloot

Bish,get off my thread please
Reply 8

Posted from TSR Mobile

The food is so nice so I don't complain!
Khalaas
Reply 10
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
Khalaas

Stop what?
Incense I hate incense.

Having to be modest whenever I go to an arabic country to summer. It's a lot less modest now but still there's stigma.

How working for women is frowned upon.
Stop what?

All these haiwaan on this forum
Reply 13
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
All these haiwaan on this forum

Who are you calling an animal?

Well I am Moroccan so:erm:

Count me out.
Who are you calling an animal?

Can you stop baiting out what I'm saying pls
Original post by GeorgeTownsend
Well I am Moroccan so:erm:

Count me out.

You're still arab

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're still arab

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh shukran. I always felt Arab.:biggrin:
Original post by GeorgeTownsend
Oh shukran. I always felt Arab.:biggrin:

Afwan habibi:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My grandparents are Asian and they only ever talk about my Uncle, who is a Doctor.

Yeah its a stereotype for a reason

Quick Reply

Latest