The Student Room Group

The "I'm scared I'm going to miss my offer" thread 2015

Scroll to see replies

Only know August 12th 6pm. Download The Times clearing app. Scottish ones are out now.
I am now so scared about the results it has only just dawned on me how close they are due to the very long agonising wait. Previously I had either forgotten or lost interest due to the amount of time we have to wait and therefore have not thought about it in much detail let alone things like clearing as my parents don't even think that anyone should be allowed to do this even if you end up somewhere decent.

Could have anything from BCC/BBC to AAA and I need ABB. I think I have either got ABB/BBB which should be OK but so many factors could have gone wrong. Why does your life have to be determined by these grades?

I am also worried about the way in which my papers will be marked as I used a laptop for the first time and feel that they may be a little harsher or something. I'm am also really worried that I put the wrong question number for questions where you get to choose which one you do. Doing something stupid like answering questions 7, 8, 9 and putting down the wrong ones e.g. 10, 11, 12. I am hoping they will just autocorrect this but I am entirely unsure, I just hope I have not done this and it is my mind playing tricks on me. But this could be entirely possible on all but 2 exams out of 6.

Edit: Also when do unis get our results, do they get them on Monday to process or something?
(edited 8 years ago)
Already making a list of the courses/ unis I'm aiming for in clearing, it's actually quite exciting! Just hope a fair few from my list actually do end up in clearing :biggrin: I still really want to study medicine, but starting to come to terms with the alternatives, and it's less of a disaster than I used to think - I hope some of you are finding the same :smile: does anyone know the likelihood of Russel Group neuroscience degrees ending up in clearing at ABB grade? (most are originally AAA-AAB)
Original post by kingdoo
I am now so scared about the results it has only just dawned on me how close they are due to the very long agonising wait. Previously I had either forgotten or lost interest due to the amount of time we have to wait and therefore have not thought about it in much detail let alone things like clearing as my parents don't even think that anyone should be allowed to do this even if you end up somewhere decent.

Could have anything from BCC/BBC to AAA and I need ABB. I think I have either got ABB/BBB which should be OK but so many factors could have gone wrong. Why does your life have to be determined by these grades?

I am also worried about the way in which my papers will be marked as I used a laptop for the first time and feel that they may be a little harsher or something. I'm am also really worried that I put the wrong question number for questions where you get to choose which one you do. Doing something stupid like answering questions 7, 8, 9 and putting down the wrong ones e.g. 10, 11, 12. I am hoping they will just autocorrect this but I am entirely unsure, I just hope I have not done this and it is my mind playing tricks on me. But this could be entirely possible on all but 2 exams out of 6.

Edit: Also when do unis get our results, do they get them on Monday to process or something?

This will sound awfully cliche' but you shouldn't let your grades define you. They cant mark you harsher for having a laptop that would be discrimination so please don't worry about that:smile:
They get your results from the sunday onwards. Hang on in there for the last 7 days, there ll always be people on tsr to help regardless of whatever happens on results day.
Original post by kingdoo

From what I've read, UCAS get your results this Thursday and the spend until roughly Sunday matching them up with your application. Then from Monday onwards, they are sent to the unis, who manually compare everyone's results and offers and begin to allocate places.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ezme39
Already making a list of the courses/ unis I'm aiming for in clearing, it's actually quite exciting! Just hope a fair few from my list actually do end up in clearing :biggrin: I still really want to study medicine, but starting to come to terms with the alternatives, and it's less of a disaster than I used to think - I hope some of you are finding the same :smile: does anyone know the likelihood of Russel Group neuroscience degrees ending up in clearing at ABB grade? (most are originally AAA-AAB)

Good on you for being prepared and having a plan B:smile:
It all depends what other applicants would have got, unis don't always drop their grade requirements on clearing, i know its awful to have to wait but its just a wait and see what requirements are listed when the clearing list is up on the 12th.
Original post by l1lvink
Where can you find the grades that Uni's want for clearing? Cos I can't seem to find them.

Also, does anyone know how often it happens that if you go to an insurance or clearing choice they don't have enough accommodation in halls?

If they are scottish unis they ll be on ucas, otherwise try this early vacancies list http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3467547 and see if the unis you want are on there:smile:

Generally if their out of spaces in halls the uni would look to help you find somewhere in private accommodation, all depends on the city but some can have loads of privately owned halls so there are other options out there:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nerdy_Birdy96
From what I've read, UCAS get your results this Thursday and the spend until roughly Sunday matching them up with your application. Then from Monday onwards, they are sent to the unis, who manually compare everyone's results and offers and begin to allocate places.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I now wish I had never asked that cannot believe the unis might know whether they are rejecting me or accepting me even within about 5 days.

I seriously think I have done worse than I need even though I was predicted AAA, I knew I wasn't going to get that and so went for an ABB uni but even then I think it was a large stretch.
Original post by claireestelle
This will sound awfully cliche' but you shouldn't let your grades define you. They cant mark you harsher for having a laptop that would be discrimination so please don't worry about that:smile:
They get your results from the sunday onwards. Hang on in there for the last 7 days, there ll always be people on tsr to help regardless of whatever happens on results day.

Thank you. I don't think they are supposed to but they occasionally do, or at least I know a couple of people who had to get their AS results remarked some even going up from E's to B's/A's so I am really unsure.
Original post by kingdoo
Thank you. I don't think they are supposed to but they occasionally do, or at least I know a couple of people who had to get their AS results remarked some even going up from E's to B's/A's so I am really unsure.

Discriminating because you had exam adjustments would be them breaking the equality act so i promise it really wouldn't happen:smile:
Original post by kingdoo
I now wish I had never asked that cannot believe the unis might know whether they are rejecting me or accepting me even within about 5 days.

I seriously think I have done worse than I need even though I was predicted AAA, I knew I wasn't going to get that and so went for an ABB uni but even then I think it was a large stretch.

Aha I apologise for answering then. I too feel I have missed the grades. My firm was AAB but I could have anything from A*BB (very unlikely) to ABC. I suppose all we can do now is wait and see. You never know, even if you end up in clearing, you might go somewhere better than your original choice.

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sosa
You know how a firm offer may lower their offer for example they ask for ABB and you get BBB on results and they let you in can and insurance offer do the same or are you automatically rejected if you miss their offer?
nothing in confirmation is automated.

Your firm choice gets firs refusal on you. If you miss your offer AND they reject you then you pass to your insurance.

Both your firm and insurance get your results at the same time so it is possible on results for your insurance to be made unconditional but your firm could be unchanged (because they either haven't decided yet or they haven't sent their decision to UCAS- often even if you've met your offer if your uni is slow they might not have sent that decision to UCAS)
Missed my offers last year and was in clearing. I should be fine for this year but man I am bricking it so hard. If I'm in clearing twice I will actually throw myself in front of a bus lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aha I apologise for answering then. I too feel I have missed the grades. My firm was AAB but I could have anything from A*BB (very unlikely) to ABC. I suppose all we can do now is wait and see. You never know, even if you end up in clearing, you might go somewhere better than your original choice.

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am also in the same place as i have the same offer . What uni and what course
Could anyone help me? please. My UCAS hasn't updated, should I wait a couple days till it has? Or should I ring and ask what's going on?- if so who do I ring UCAS or the uni I've applied to? Man Met (primary) Salford (secondary choice)
Original post by golden tribe
I am also in the same place as i have the same offer . What uni and what course

Lancaster and English Lit. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lancaster and English Lit. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Econ and politics manchester
Does anybody know if there's a chance that a decent university (KCL) would take me with grades A*BB instead of my AAB offer because they even out or is this usually not the case?
Original post by l1lvink
Where can you find the grades that Uni's want for clearing? Cos I can't seem to find them.

Also, does anyone know how often it happens that if you go to an insurance or clearing choice they don't have enough accommodation in halls?

Hey 1lvink :smile:

Universities and accommodation providers usually keep some of their accommodation a side for the clearing period. What University are you applying for through clearing?

I'm sure you wont need to go through clearing though, you will get the grades you want! :smile:

Sophie
www.vitastudent.com
Original post by 123aabc
Does anybody know if there's a chance that a decent university (KCL) would take me with grades A*BB instead of my AAB offer because they even out or is this usually not the case?

I think the best thing would be to would be to email your course, it shows that you want to go their university and are being proactive... it also will be the best answer out of anywhere!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending