The Student Room Group

American Transfers and European Majors?

Hello everyone!
I'm an American college student looking to transfer to a university in London at the beginning of the 2016-2017 school year. I'm currently attending a technical school and expect to graduate my associates program with a 4.0 GPA next May.
I'm wondering what kind of requirements there are for students who already (or will, at the time they begin at uni) have an associates degree. Will I need to submit SAT/ACT scores during the application? Most American schools do not require these scores if you have been out of high school long enough and/or have completed a certain amount of college coursework.
Also, I am majoring in social work now, and I have a strong desire to major in something which will allow me to help people. Very interested in human rights and social justice. I've explored quite a bit and it seems majors are often more specific in the UK than in the U.S. For example, one UK major I've noticed is Community Development and Youth Work, whereas most schools in the U.S. offer simply Social Work. Does anyone have any advice on social work or other human rights related majors? Recommend any schools for me to check out? I'm also open to schools outside of London, such as Edinburgh, as its one that has been highly recommended to me by a friend who studied there.
Really, any and all advice about transferring to a UK uni would be much appreciated!
Much love!
Reply 1
You dont need to submit SAT/ACT
Just submit your GPA, reccommendation letters and write a BOMB personal statement
Birmingham uni is great and so is wedt of england, bristol as in for london , theres a uni called london south bank , but its ranked 35 for social work
Thanks for the advice! Very helpful.
wen you come over I would avoid the term Major (people will laugh at you over here if you use that term) as you will only be doing one course but in there over the 3 years there will be several subjects in that course over the 3 years if you do well in that yoiu can go on to a masters or PHD.
Original post by Juniperblue28
Hello everyone!
I'm an American college student looking to transfer to a university in London at the beginning of the 2016-2017 school year. I'm currently attending a technical school and expect to graduate my associates program with a 4.0 GPA next May.
I'm wondering what kind of requirements there are for students who already (or will, at the time they begin at uni) have an associates degree. Will I need to submit SAT/ACT scores during the application? Most American schools do not require these scores if you have been out of high school long enough and/or have completed a certain amount of college coursework.
Also, I am majoring in social work now, and I have a strong desire to major in something which will allow me to help people. Very interested in human rights and social justice. I've explored quite a bit and it seems majors are often more specific in the UK than in the U.S. For example, one UK major I've noticed is Community Development and Youth Work, whereas most schools in the U.S. offer simply Social Work. Does anyone have any advice on social work or other human rights related majors? Recommend any schools for me to check out? I'm also open to schools outside of London, such as Edinburgh, as its one that has been highly recommended to me by a friend who studied there.
Really, any and all advice about transferring to a UK uni would be much appreciated!
Much love!

You might be able to get on to a Masters or a 3rd (Final year) of degree in the UK In the UK a degree takes 3 years and is much more focused than in the USA this means we don't have majors and minors for instance a degree in the UK might be
say Social work (To take your example) you'll have units

Year one:Preparation for Practice;
Issues in CommunicationSociology,
Society and Social Work 1Sociology,
Society and Social Work 2Human Growth Through the Lifecourse
Introduction to Law.

Year two:Forming Partnerships and Work with Others
Social Work Methods and Interventions
Developing Legal Perspectives
Developing Competence in Practice.

Year three:colone:xtending Professional Competence in Practice
Research and Social WorkRisk, Responsibility and Resolution
One option, from:
Social Work with Adults
Social Work with Children and Families.

This is from the website at my uni (Solent) and is the current course every one will do the same units at the same time.

They will be at set times Your associates degree will possibly allow to do a top up 3rd year meaning you'll leave with a BA.

Your SAT and ACT won't come in to it because of your Associates and the 4.0 GPA which I have been led to believe from TV and things is quite high means your looking at some unis which are quite good.

Places like Imperial Collage in London you could apply to Oxbridge (Oxford and Cambridge) (you might not get in but it doesn't mean you can't try.) There are many Russel Group unis you could try like Southampton or Manchester Wikipedia will probably give you a full list.

Your UCAS form will tell you everything to put in. You possibly will have to declare your SAT and or ATC but you associates degree will be more important to the uni.

Good luck.
Original post by jonathanemptage
You might be able to get on to a Masters or a 3rd (Final year) of degree in the UK In the UK a degree takes 3 years and is much more focused than in the USA this means we don't have majors and minors for instance a degree in the UK might be
say Social work (To take your example) you'll have units

Year one:Preparation for Practice;
Issues in CommunicationSociology,
Society and Social Work 1Sociology,
Society and Social Work 2Human Growth Through the Lifecourse
Introduction to Law.

Year two:Forming Partnerships and Work with Others
Social Work Methods and Interventions
Developing Legal Perspectives
Developing Competence in Practice.

Year three:colone:xtending Professional Competence in Practice
Research and Social WorkRisk, Responsibility and Resolution
One option, from:
Social Work with Adults
Social Work with Children and Families.

This is from the website at my uni (Solent) and is the current course every one will do the same units at the same time.

They will be at set times Your associates degree will possibly allow to do a top up 3rd year meaning you'll leave with a BA.

Your SAT and ACT won't come in to it because of your Associates and the 4.0 GPA which I have been led to believe from TV and things is quite high means your looking at some unis which are quite good.

Places like Imperial Collage in London you could apply to Oxbridge (Oxford and Cambridge) (you might not get in but it doesn't mean you can't try.) There are many Russel Group unis you could try like Southampton or Manchester Wikipedia will probably give you a full list.

Your UCAS form will tell you everything to put in. You possibly will have to declare your SAT and or ATC but you associates degree will be more important to the uni.

Good luck.

Wow! You're the best! Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Original post by Juniperblue28
Wow! You're the best! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Your welcome when you come over make sure to go to Reading (pronounced redding) Festival at the end of August at least once it's completely different from anything you've got in the USA.
Original post by jonathanemptage
Your welcome when you come over make sure to go to Reading (pronounced redding) Festival at the end of August at least once it's completely different from anything you've got in the USA.

Awesome! I looked it up and it sounds fantastic. I'll definitely check it out.

Quick Reply

Latest