The Student Room Group

Complex Transformations

Hi,

I'm really confused with complex transformations and how they work. I have learnt the method, but I really don't understand any of the theory behind it - I don't really know why I'm doing what I am doing.

When given a transformation T from the z-plane to the w-plane, and we have to find the locus of a point in the w-plane, why do we have to make z the subject of our transformation? What is the purpose of that?

Maybe if someone could explain what exactly each step of the calculation is doing in 'transforming' the point, I might understand what I'm doing. At the moment, I have no confidence in my technique...

Question 5(c) is an example where I have absolutely no idea what I am doing, despite getting the correct answer:

https://8dedc505ac3fba908c50836f59059ccce5cd0f1e.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYdHIxUkJmdndfMlE/June%202011%20QP%20-%20FP2%20Edexcel.pdf
I'm finding them confusing too, I'm wondering if anyone has any resources for them apart from that video on examsolutions
Reply 2
Original post by kingaaran
Hi,

I'm really confused with complex transformations and how they work. I have learnt the method, but I really don't understand any of the theory behind it - I don't really know why I'm doing what I am doing.

When given a transformation T from the z-plane to the w-plane, and we have to find the locus of a point in the w-plane, why do we have to make z the subject of our transformation? What is the purpose of that?

Maybe if someone could explain what exactly each step of the calculation is doing in 'transforming' the point, I might understand what I'm doing. At the moment, I have no confidence in my technique...

Question 5(c) is an example where I have absolutely no idea what I am doing, despite getting the correct answer:

https://8dedc505ac3fba908c50836f59059ccce5cd0f1e.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYdHIxUkJmdndfMlE/June%202011%20QP%20-%20FP2%20Edexcel.pdf

Start off by writing w in terms of z. Then multiply and div
Reply 3
Original post by kingaaran
Hi,

Start off by writing w in terms of z. Then multiply and divide by the complex conjugate of the denominator of w which is 3-iz. When you write z=x+iy you should get the catesian equation you got in part b. This shows that z lies on C.
Reply 4
Original post by lift140
Start off by writing w in terms of z. Then multiply and divide by the complex conjugate of the denominator of w which is 3-iz. When you write z=x+iy you should get the catesian equation you got in part b. This shows that z lies on C.

oh and i forgot to mention that after you solve w im terms of z you should equate the imaginary part of w to zero as w lies om the real axis.
Reply 5
I know how to do it, but I didn't know the theory behind it.

But don't worry, I found the best and most explanatory video on YouTube on this and I finally get the theory! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending