The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry F321 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

How many marks was the europium moles question can anyone remember?
Original post by Angelo12231
How do you think you done so far? in each exam

I dunno man...
In this exam I've dropped 3 marks already, then I think I dropped about 1 on the last one. Feel confident that I did relatively well on the other Q's but taking into considerations silly marks and stuff, should HOPEFULLY get 49/50 out of 60, but obviously could turn out completely different. I know that doesn't sound bad at all, but relative to the amount of time and effort I put in and considering this is supposed to be the easiest chem paper we do at A-level, I feel a bit pissed off. I think I'm being optimistic with my mark tbh lol.
I'm pretty swag at Bio, and revised so hard for that exam aswell, I'll be happy to get just over and A in this paper, but need to desperately make up for my 32/40 in my bio coursework, which could potentially be a C, if worse comes to worse...
Original post by Kate12300
How many marks was the europium moles question can anyone remember?

2 mate
It tested things the previous tests didn't. It wasn't drastically different, just odd.

Oh but it was on the specification. I had a feeling this would happen though, just preparing myself now for the second half.
Original post by BioStudentx
I'm applying to Cambridge and this is my UMS for each subject so far in my opinion
Maths - Core 1: 100% Core 2: 96% Mechanics: N/A
Biology - Unit 1: 90% Unit 2: N/A Empa: 94%
Chemistry - F321: 88% F322: N/A
Physics - Unit 1: 86% Unit 2: N/A Empa: 90%

Might as well give up now. Fml

Loooooooool love how somebody can actually sit on their computer, and type out all their stats to impress people they don't even know, especially when they haven't got their results back yet and they weren't directly asked for them
Original post by ACMilan323
Loooooooool love how somebody can actually sit on their computer, and type out all their stats to impress people they don't even know, especially when they haven't got their results back yet and they weren't directly asked for them

Salty.
Reply 66
Original post by ACMilan323
I feel you man, I left the last two bits of that Q out, was rinsing too much of my time, just about finished the rest of the paper off. I found Bio a lot harder tbh, mainly cause I like chemistry more. But tbh, if they had given everyone extra time, it would have been fairer tbh; for a lot of the Q's in bio and chem it takes time for you to think about your response and work it out. You don't realise that this becomes x100 harder under exam conditions lol.. well at least I didn't lol

Yes exactly, the content isn't too tricky as ABG doesn't have much content to it anyway. It's just it would have helped to have some idea that these will be the kind of questions that they'll ask you instead of the knowledge based, look at for 2 seconds then answer type of Qs. Grade boundary will be low and 100 UMS could even be 55 or 54 this year, I know I've lost 5 marks but think I answered all the other questions well, mainly cos I spent so long on them! Last 5 marker, the important thing to remember is you only have to make 4 points then you get a QWC which is normally something like 'electrons' spelt correctly or something. And since there was a lot to say for that Q, we should definitely do well on them. They make the difference more than the 1 mark/2 mark calculations.
Reply 67
Original post by Cherry82
Sorry guys, would you mind explaining why it was different from previous years? I'm trying to understand what some of you are saying about the format.

It was just very applied, like some of the questions such as I(aq) for the displacement reaction, people weren't sure whether it was a solid produced (so grey solid) or an aqueous solution (so brown) so that tripped people up. Also, the very final question, there has never been a paper where it's given a molecule with hydrogen bonding with a lower boiling point than VdWs so you had to phrase the argument explicitly that it's all down to increased molar mass etc. Even the very first question was a bit odd. In general, it was trying to deciper the Q into what we were used to seeing whereas a previous question would just say 'explain why element X has a higher ionisation energy than element Y'.
Original post by nurav11
It was just very applied, like some of the questions such as I(aq) for the displacement reaction, people weren't sure whether it was a solid produced (so grey solid) or an aqueous solution (so brown) so that tripped people up. Also, the very final question, there has never been a paper where it's given a molecule with hydrogen bonding with a lower boiling point than VdWs so you had to phrase the argument explicitly that it's all down to increased molar mass etc. Even the very first question was a bit odd. In general, it was trying to deciper the Q into what we were used to seeing whereas a previous question would just say 'explain why element X has a higher ionisation energy than element Y'.

Oh, I understand now. For me not to see this means I didn't do enough past papers.
Reply 69
Original post by Cherry82
Oh, I understand now. For me not to see this means I didn't do enough past papers.

But doing too many past papers probably was a curse in this case haha :tongue:, in any case, past papers didn't help out much for this paper. How did you find it?
Who else spent 5 minutes trying to find ****ing cetrium lool
Hmm nitrogen and hydrogen... seems pretty hydrogen-bondy to me

NH3 is hydrogen bonding because hydrogen bonds with lone pair in adjacent nitrogen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nurav11
But doing too many past papers probably was a curse in this case haha :tongue:, in any case, past papers didn't help out much for this paper. How did you find it?

Lol, Oh no. It seemed fairly ok but I could say this now and end up on the floor crying on results day. With AS this year though, I've learn't not to feel too comfortable, if I'm honest I get comfortable easy but as I've found myself in many unpredicted situations, I learnt the hard way not to do so.
I swear, it's to be point where though people may have found these exams relatively difficult- I wouldn't be surprised if the grade boundaries where normal or high. Nothing shocks or surprises me any more, I'm ready for it all.
Ermm Ok, that's the worst that can happen and I'm praying for it not to happen loool But how did you find it? :smile:
Reply 73
Original post by arabinthemist

Hahah mate, I first looked at that and was like 'You are definitely not an element, what are you doing here'. Took ages to find the damn thing.
For me, this exam went terribly. Everything I had revised in a lot of depth didn't come up, and I just felt so confused at so many of the questions!
Can't imagine I'm even going to pass this exam. It's awful, but I'm heavily relying on Unit 2 to pass, with a half way decent grade. I seem to do better in Unit 2 anyway, so... maybe there's hope yet!
At least most/all of us are in the same boat in regards to how we feel about this exam.
If it makes anyone feel better - there's already two 'Hitler reacts to F321' videos on YouTube that I've seen. :smile:
Good luck with the other unit and any other exams people have!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dash52
it was nh3 not nh4, i wrote permanent dipole instead of hydrogen... right guys?

It has hydrogen bonding
Hydrogen bonding only occurs between hydrogen and the elements Nitrogen, Oxygen and Fluorine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arabinthemist

Me!!!!
For the first part i wrote 60 protons instead of 56:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did it and then realised and scribbled it out... but there's a lot of other stuff I definitely messed up haha.
Try not to worry about it! I'm sure it was only worth a mark anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alicekyra
I did it and then realised and scribbled it out... but there's a lot of other stuff I definitely messed up haha.
Try not to worry about it! I'm sure it was only worth a mark anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah
I think i got 48 min though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can't believe there were no questions on chemical bonding! (Like the bond angles and shapes and lone pairs stuff I mean).

That exam was definitely harder than previous years. Hoping for low grade boundaries!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending