The Student Room Group

English lit GCSE poetry unit 2 exam 22nd of May 2015

Scroll to see replies

why did nobody else compare manhunt to brothers omgomgomg no...
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Did anybody do the the relationship poems?

I did the manhunt one, I compared it to Quickdraw.
i did poppies and bayonet charge
How did you structure your points ?
Original post by Kilomontari
I compared My Last Duchess to The River God for pride, I writ a lot about structure and how they are both proud of their power and how they are both proud of killing a women. Nobody else compred these two, have I ****ed up?

That's actually a very good choice - good on you and you haven't messed up! If you've written about pride throughout with structure, language and techniques, you should be fine. Do not worry :smile:
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Anyone else do the My Last Duchess question? I compared it to Ozymandias.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those both compliment each very well - good choice :smile: They both display pride and power in their individual ways. How did you find the exam overall?

Original post by ions
I did, but I compared it to The Ruined Maid. Ozymandias would have been good...but I wasn't thinking clearly at all.

Not to worry, other people have done the same as you :smile: The Ruined Maid also works just as well they both talk about how rich and happy they are of themselves which shows pride. You've chosen a good selection - do not fret :smile: Were you happy with the outcome of the exam?
Original post by I need starbucks
woah!!! how did you write so much i wrote like a side and a quarter for seen and a side for unseen

I have massive handwriting in their booklets - like 5-7 words a line
Original post by nitrocuddles
Barely anyone does the Place cluster!
I compared Below with Storm in the Black Forest.
What did you write about your comparisons?

ah finally someone who does place :biggrin:
i wrote about how in btcg the mountains are personified as bandits for intimidation and overpowering the speaker etc and in cold knap lake i wrote about the power of nature and how it can come so close to killing/drowning someone
hope i did okay! how'd you find it + what did you write about?
Reply 108
Original post by TheClassicsGeek
Did anyone do Relationships? I wrote about Sister Maude and Sonnet 43? Also for the unseen I absoloutley messed it up!! I put something along the lines of "the oxymoronic contrast between crude and fantastic is reminscent of the Christian wedding vows 'for better for worse' and the 'forever' is representative of their marriage therefore the whole poem is like the build up to them getting married". OMG I can't believe I could be so stupid, you know when you just get really carried away...

What??? I don't get it, it sounds fine??? I also mentioned the oxymoron, however, I linked this to when she talks about her symptoms where she has mentioned both positive and negatives... Was kind of in a rush and thinking back at it now none of it probably made that much sense. I mostly talked about the form and structure to show love and probably added like one quote.

Btw, I also did relationships and Sister Maude!! 🙋 I compared this to In Paris with You though.... Should have done Manhunt instead 😭
I compared manhunt with quickdraw.

Introduction:

Context of Manunt- Bosnian war- Effects of war on relationship- dark tone

Context of Quickdraw- light hearted tone, 21st century characteristed by the mobile phone

Both show damaged relationships through structure, language, imagery, etc

Paragraph 1: Structural points

Manhunt in couplets

Manhunt title negative connotations

Mislead reader in first stanza

Some couplets rhyme and some have half rhyme- unpredictability of relationship

Quick draw structured 4 stanzas of 4 lines each

Stanza 1 and 4 uniform but stanza 2 and 3 resemble the guns

Added audiences reponses and a few language points

Paragraph 2: Imagery

Metaphor of porcelain- what it represents- emotions

Foetus of metal- growing inside him- damage is growing inside him and a certain point cannot be stopped

Each couplet about a part of his body and shows slow repair of their relationships

Did some effects on audience and alternate ideas concerning some words

Quickdraw- I put the "Blast me quote"- dramatic- creates tension- like a western movie

Alliteration

Effect on audience

Paragraph 3: Ambigious endings

Manhunt ends with a half rhyme- portraying the fragmented relationship

Half rhyme of mind and mine- Most damaged part of relationship is not physical but emotional- mine suggests something which will explode unexpectadly any moment- possible reffference to PTSD

Similarly Quickdraw ends ambigiously

Take this ... this.....

We are not sure if this is a kiss or a gun shot

This allows reader to make up their mind and show how a phone can be used for both good and bad- to damage and mend

Conclusion: Reiterate why structure, language etc is used

One to show effect of war- the other the effect of modern technology to damage relationship

All my points I can think of. I have no clue why I wasted my time writing this but meh :P
I compared bayonet charge to futility but really regretting it now... Is futility a really stupid choice for fear?? I didn't talk about fear that much :/ my friend made the same mistake and didn't read the setting part of the question my teacher said she can only lose 6 marks max out of the 40
Original post by Kilomontari
I compared My Last Duchess to The River God for pride, I writ a lot about structure and how they are both proud of their power and how they are both proud of killing a women. Nobody else compred these two, have I ****ed up?

I did but I said they lose pride as they lose control hope thats okay i backed it with evidence
I compared Brenden Gallacher to The Ruined Maid

For the unseen I wrote about love being seen as a healer, and making negative experiences into good ones
And also an alternative interpretation about love being a drug which brings temporary gratification. My friend done a really good interpretation about how the poem was about an abusive relationship and the last line in each stanza represented how the speaker was trying to convince her/him self that all this abuse "symptoms" is making her/his life better

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy99needshelp
Yeah, there's a whole thread on this question- it's so weird that so many people didn't see it! Fortunately, if you look at the mark scheme, only 1 of the six bullet points is actually about answering the question, so it's possible to still get a high grade without focusing entirely on it. I've also heard that teachers and examiners have been saying this too, so I'm not as worried now, and I hope you're not either. Thanks for the help though! :tongue:

Haha, that's convenient! Thanks for that and good luck with the result
Original post by Miss.Unknow
I did Q 05 with the Mametz wood one and compared to futility! i think i did pretty well with comparing them and stuff, how was the unseen poem for you guys?

I did the same comparison. I felt like for the unseen I had strong points but not original/unique
Has anybody compared ''Sister Maude'' to ''Brothers''?
Reply 116
Original post by gcsestudent10
Hi guys, today I did my english lit aqa poetry exam and chose to do the question about Mametz Wood. I compared it to Fuility but apparently the question was about places? I must have completely misread it as I thought it said 'How does the poet present ideas about conflict in Mametz Wood and one other poem in Conflict'. Is anyone else in this position too? Thanks a lot :smile:

I compared it to falling leaves, but don't worry about it I made the same mistake! Almost EVERYONE in my year group misread that question! I spoke to my english teacher afterwards and they said not to worry at all because all that will happen is that when the examiner realises that you haven't directly answered the question all they do is send it to the 'lead examiner' who will then mark your exam on the quality of your answer rather than how well it links to what its asking. Apparently they cannot mark you down for misreading the question since they'll just mark the quality of your analysis :smile:
Reply 117
i also did the place cluster and i compared Below the green corrie with storm in the black forest. i talked about how in below, nature uses it power as a positive thing, eg 'enriched' whereas in storm in the black forest, nature uses its power in a negative way to humans. what did you compare?
Original post by OliwierEB
Has anybody compared ''Sister Maude'' to ''Brothers''?

Yeah- Several of my friends did this- one said she just looked at "sister maude" and thought of "brothers". A lot of people also did "The Manhunt" with "farmers bride", "brothers" or "in Paris with you".

I did "sister maude" with "praise song", which I said could be negative and untrusting as the language was ambiguous. I don't know if it was a stupid idea to compare with "praise song" but hey... it's over now. Bye bye English lit.
Actually I need to do pretty well on this as I think I did horrendously on The Woman in Black and Of Mice and Men :frown: although I have good coursework.
Unseen was pretty good though, easy to find features I thought.
Did anyone else do "praise song"?
I did the Brendon Gallacher question, did anyone else do that one? :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending