The Student Room Group

English lit GCSE poetry unit 2 exam 22nd of May 2015

Hey guys just did the poetry exam today for aqa how did everyone find it? I'm doing the conflict cluster and I did bayonet charge and charge of the light brigade to compare about fear did anyone else do this?? I found the unseen really good what about you guys?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student78
Hey guys just did the poetry exam today for aqa how did everyone find it? I'm doing the conflict cluster and I did bayonet charge and charge of the light brigade to compare about fear did anyone else do this?? I found the unseen really good what about you guys?

Hey, I did exactly the same as you! What did you compare and the unseen was good for me swell
Anyone else do the My Last Duchess question? I compared it to Ozymandias.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I said about 3rd person narrative creating distance in both poems which could show people are afraid, Whereas in light brigade I said its used to reflect and show 'honour' for the soldiers. Bayonet- 1 soldier but could be universal term to represent everyone as they're not named. Also in light brigade about many soldiers-portrayed through 6 stanza=600 men, stanzas get shorter = loss of lives. Enjambment=running and thinking in bayonet charge, caesuras = stopping /pausing to hide from enemies or could be metaphorical of his mind having mental blocks. Varied line lengths in bayonet= confusion and terror umm that's all I can remember at the moment but I did way more analysing certain words in a quote what did you do?
Reply 4
For the unseen I said Lots of medical words link to tittle= joined up =unbreakable bond in love. Refrain = positive reassurance everything will be ok after list of negative words with negative connotations. Rhyming couplets=2 people in love or could be back and forth of arguing. I also said 3 stanzas = not stand alone stanza= more than one person= togetherness not alone. And also medical symptoms like weak knee = nervousness I can't remember anything else I put what did you put?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Anyone else do the My Last Duchess question? I compared it to Ozymandias.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did, but I compared it to The Ruined Maid. Ozymandias would have been good...but I wasn't thinking clearly at all.
Reply 6
For the unseen I said Lots of medical words link to tittle= joined up =unbreakable bond in love. Refrain = positive reassurance everything will be ok after list of negative words with negative connotations. Rhyming couplets=2 people in love or could be back and forth of arguing. I also said 3 stanzas = not stand alone stanza= more than one person= togetherness not alone. And also medical symptoms like weak knee = nervousness I can't remember anything else I put what did you put?

I spoke to someone afterwards who said they thought the poem was about the speaker's lover cheating on her (or him). I wrote most of the same things as you though. I also talked about the speaker's undecided feelings about love through the juxtaposition of the terms in the listing, but her/his overall certainty because of the repetition of "life is now better than it was before".
I compared The Charge of Light Brigade with The Falling Leaves is that fine?
Reply 8
Original post by ions
I spoke to someone afterwards who said they thought the poem was about the speaker's lover cheating on her (or him). I wrote most of the same things as you though. I also talked about the speaker's undecided feelings about love through the juxtaposition of the terms in the listing, but her/his overall certainty because of the repetition of "life is now better than it was before".

Yeah one of my friends said about cheating another talked about suicide?!?!
Reply 9
Apparently the poem was about pregnancy????! Because of insomnia etc? What?!
I mainly wrote about eroticism and sex because of sleepless nights and increasing pulse ? That cool?
for unseen poetry i talked about the gap between each stanza being symbolic of the hurdles in a relationship. I talked about how the parataxis in each stanza makes it sound very fast-pace showing she's excited about it/ wary of all the symptoms. you could also talk about how since all the different 'symptoms' are closely adjacent to each other that could represent the unbreakable bond of love
Original post by Azim101
I mainly wrote about eroticism and sex because of sleepless nights and increasing pulse ? That cool?

sounds dodgy to me
I said about 3rd person narrative creating distance in both poems which could show people are afraid, Whereas in light brigade I said its used to reflect and show 'honour' for the soldiers. Bayonet- 1 soldier but could be universal term to represent everyone as they're not named. Also in light brigade about many soldiers-portrayed through 6 stanza=600 men, stanzas get shorter = loss of lives. Enjambment=running and thinking in bayonet charge, caesuras = stopping /pausing to hide from enemies or could be metaphorical of his mind having mental blocks. Varied line lengths in bayonet= confusion and terror umm that's all I can remember at the moment but I did way more analysing certain words in a quote what did you do?

For both poems I talked about the allusions to hellish imagery as Bayonet charge talked about "Sweating like molten iron" and Light Brigade mentioned that they entered the "Mouth of hell"

Then I talked about alliteration and how that creates fear- Bayonet Charge said "terror's touchy dynamite" and Light Brigade said 'shatter'd and shot and shell'

Lastly, I talked about the enjambement in Bayonet charge- When he was running in the darkness and in Light Brigade I used talked about their confidence as they cam "Thro the mouth of Hell" etc Then, I linked all of that with fear, what do you write for the unseen?
Original post by Rosie_xxxoo

You had to choose either mametz wood or bayonet charge?
Original post by Rosie_xxxoo

Rosie, um not sure about this. Neither Charge of the Light Brigade or Falling leaves was an option I thought?
I did question 6, compared bayonet charge with Belfast Confetti- haven't actually read bayonet charge before let alone analysed it so it was rather interesting to say the least (Been off school 6 weeks had surgery etc)
No i mean i compared the the charge of the light brigade with the falling leaves
Did anyone do Relationships? I wrote about Sister Maude and Sonnet 43? Also for the unseen I absoloutley messed it up!! I put something along the lines of "the oxymoronic contrast between crude and fantastic is reminscent of the Christian wedding vows 'for better for worse' and the 'forever' is representative of their marriage therefore the whole poem is like the build up to them getting married". OMG I can't believe I could be so stupid, you know when you just get really carried away...
Did anybody do the the relationship poems?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending