The Student Room Group

AS Classics - Greek Tragedy OCR (2nd June 2015)

hi guys, I made this thread because I haven't seen one before. Since we have already done the Odyssey exam (which I hope went very well for you) I thought it would be good to make a thread on our tragedy exam which is in just over a week. Feel free to post any tips, advice, revision strategies on Greek tragedy. You can talk about the odyssey exam but since we've already done it, we should be focusing on tragedy. Thanks guys. (btw this is for ocr students)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HomeBehindTheSun
hi guys, I made this thread because I haven't seen one before. Since we have already done the Odyssey exam (which I hope went very well for you) I thought it would be good to make a thread on our tragedy exam which is in just over a week. Feel free to post any tips, advice, revision strategies on Greek tragedy. You can talk about the odyssey exam but since we've already done it, we should be focusing on tragedy. Thanks guys. (btw this is for ocr students)

I agree with you; moving forwards past the Odyssey exam is probably the best thing to do as what's done is done regardless! Ok so let's hope this exam isn't as tragic as its title. Agamemnon/Medea/Electra/Antigone - which one do people find the hardest? Also, tip: remember to try and fit in key words, such as timé, kleos, and things like that, but only where it helps you because a couple of examiner's reports feel that where some candidates use key words, it hinders their writing rather than helping them! so only use them if they fit and if you are confident you can use them correctly:smile:)
Original post by revisionkills
I agree with you; moving forwards past the Odyssey exam is probably the best thing to do as what's done is done regardless! Ok so let's hope this exam isn't as tragic as its title. Agamemnon/Medea/Electra/Antigone - which one do people find the hardest? Also, tip: remember to try and fit in key words, such as timé, kleos, and things like that, but only where it helps you because a couple of examiner's reports feel that where some candidates use key words, it hinders their writing rather than helping them! so only use them if they fit and if you are confident you can use them correctly:smile:)

Hi there, thanks for your reply and your handy tip. Those keywords, when appropriately used, show the examiner you know about context and can prove to be very useful. In answer to your question, I don't find a particular play "hard" so to speak. I don't enjoy Electra and Antigone as much as I enjoy Medea (which is my favourite) and Agamemnon. I find all of them have difficult aspects (e.g finding particular themes or ideas). How about you? And what types of revision strategies do you find most effective when revising the plays? :smile:
Hi, not a problem! Yeah I'm exactly the same. Don't particularly like Antigone... But the others I enjoy! Hm strategies to revise is a tough one really! I'm not sure how to myself if I'm honest. Our teacher has told us to reread the plays and our annotations and look through all the answers to past papers we have done, and although this is useful at first to sorta get acquainted w the stuff, classics is sooo much about detail! And you need to know the plays inside out, which is what I find slightly more difficult. But I'm sure we will be fine! 😊
especially those sneaky 10 markers - which can come from anywhere in any of the 4 plays! Haha oh well. I feel like I haven't done as much revision for Tragedy compared to my Odyssey revision
especially those sneaky 10 markers - which can come from anywhere in any of the 4 plays! Haha oh well. I feel like I haven't done as much revision for Tragedy compared to my Odyssey revision

oh my gosh - finally, someone who hates the stupid 10 mark questions!! So many people find them easy but you need to know ridiculous amounts of info to be able to do that question well! I know right? I focused so much on The Odyssey, but at least we have a good 9 days to revise for tragedy! also it's easier to revise the odyssey I feel bc you sorta just go book by book!! And it's like remembering legends haha😊
Lol the odyssey was just one story, but tragedy is made up of 4 stories so its harder to remember the plot in detail for the 10 markers. Yep its good we have half term but I also have another exam before the classics one so I'm gonna have to split my time.
Lol the odyssey was just one story, but tragedy is made up of 4 stories so its harder to remember the plot in detail for the 10 markers. Yep its good we have half term but I also have another exam before the classics one so I'm gonna have to split my time.

Yeah same, I have my biology the day before! 😒😒 haha nvm lol gonna go revise
Yeah same, I have my biology the day before! 😒😒 haha nvm lol gonna go revise

I have my biology as well. Is it unit 2?
it is indeed f212! do you do ocr for that as well? i do
it is indeed f212! do you do ocr for that as well? i do

hi, I do AQA biology.
I've found this one a lot harder to revise for than the Odyssey, (which I thought went okay, hope everyone else did, too!)

Has anyone got any ideas what kind of essay questions could come up for Electra? Or even ones for Agamemnon that haven't come up yet? Want to try and practice as many as possible!
Original post by tomstoke
I've found this one a lot harder to revise for than the Odyssey, (which I thought went okay, hope everyone else did, too!)

Has anyone got any ideas what kind of essay questions could come up for Electra? Or even ones for Agamemnon that haven't come up yet? Want to try and practice as many as possible!

Hi, thanks for your reply and sorry for the late reply. Yes I definitely find this exam harder to revise for compared to the Odyssey exam. In terms of predictions I have no clue what they could throw at us but I have grabbed my hands on some questions that might help you in your revision.
The Chorus make little contribution to Greek Tragedy.’ How far do you agree with this statement?
In your answer, you should:
consider what the Chorus say and do in the plays;
include an analysis of the contribution of the Chorus to the plays;
use evidence from at least two of the following plays:
Aeschylus’ Agamemnon, Sophocles’ Antigone, Euripides’ Medea and Electra. [45]

‘The characters in Aeschylus’ Agamemnon create only fear and no pity in each other and in the
audience.’ How far do you agree with this statement?
consider how the characters behave and what they say;
include an analysis of the effect this has on the audience;
use evidence from Aeschylus’ Agamemnon. [45]

All 45 marks unless otherwise stated:

1. ‘Revenge is sweet.’ Who do you think enjoyed her revenge more, Clytemnestra in Aeschylus’ Agamemnon or Medea?
2. ‘There are no normal family relationships in Greek Tragedy’. To what extent do you agree with this statement?
3. ‘Revenge is sweet’. To what extent do you think Electra enjoyed her revenge? 25 marks
4. Which of the three tragedians portrayed his male characters more effectively? In your answer you should refer to all three tragedians.
5. ‘Greek Tragedy is nothing but death and violence’. To what extent do you agree with this statement?
6. To what extent did Euripides portray his female characters more realistically than Aeschylus and Sophocles?
7. “Pride comes before a fall”. Does this statement best describe Agamemnon or Jason?
8. “Pride comes before a fall”. Does this statement best describe Jason or Creon?
9. To what extent can Euripides be regarded as a woman -hater?
10. ‘Pride comes before a fall.’ Do you feel that this is a better description of Agamemnon or of Jason?
11. How consistent is the portrayal of Electra’s character in Euripides’ Electra? 25marks
12. How important are omens and prophecies in the plays you have read?
13. In your view, which of the three tragedians you have studied deals with the theme of conflict between men and women most effectively?
14. How effectively does Euripides portray the theme of conflict between men and women? 25 marks
15. To what extent do you think that the themes in Greek tragedy are still relevant in the modern world?
16. To what extent are the Chorus an integral (important and necessary) part of the plays you have read?
17. How important is the role of the Messenger in the plays you have read? 25 marks
18. Would Clytemnestra be a better title for Aeschylus’ play than Agamemnon? In your answer you should include discussion of the roles of the two characters and the themes of the play.
19. How important are the chorus in the plays you have read?
20. How far do you agree that women are always portrayed as the victims in Greek Tragedy?

hope you find this helpful :smile:
Hi, thanks for your reply and sorry for the late reply. Yes I definitely find this exam harder to revise for compared to the Odyssey exam. In terms of predictions I have no clue what they could throw at us but I have grabbed my hands on some questions that might help you in your revision.
The Chorus make little contribution to Greek Tragedy.’ How far do you agree with this statement?
consider what the Chorus say and do in the plays;
include an analysis of the contribution of the Chorus to the plays;
use evidence from at least two of the following plays:
Aeschylus’ Agamemnon, Sophocles’ Antigone, Euripides’ Medea and Electra. [45]

‘The characters in Aeschylus’ Agamemnon create only fear and no pity in each other and in the
audience.’ How far do you agree with this statement?
consider how the characters behave and what they say;
include an analysis of the effect this has on the audience;
use evidence from Aeschylus’ Agamemnon. [45]

All 45 marks unless otherwise stated:

1. ‘Revenge is sweet.’ Who do you think enjoyed her revenge more, Clytemnestra in Aeschylus’ Agamemnon or Medea?
2. ‘There are no normal family relationships in Greek Tragedy’. To what extent do you agree with this statement?
3. ‘Revenge is sweet’. To what extent do you think Electra enjoyed her revenge? 25 marks
4. Which of the three tragedians portrayed his male characters more effectively? In your answer you should refer to all three tragedians.
5. ‘Greek Tragedy is nothing but death and violence’. To what extent do you agree with this statement?
6. To what extent did Euripides portray his female characters more realistically than Aeschylus and Sophocles?
7. “Pride comes before a fall”. Does this statement best describe Agamemnon or Jason?
8. “Pride comes before a fall”. Does this statement best describe Jason or Creon?
9. To what extent can Euripides be regarded as a woman -hater?
10. ‘Pride comes before a fall.’ Do you feel that this is a better description of Agamemnon or of Jason?
11. How consistent is the portrayal of Electra’s character in Euripides’ Electra? 25marks
12. How important are omens and prophecies in the plays you have read?
13. In your view, which of the three tragedians you have studied deals with the theme of conflict between men and women most effectively?
14. How effectively does Euripides portray the theme of conflict between men and women? 25 marks
15. To what extent do you think that the themes in Greek tragedy are still relevant in the modern world?
16. To what extent are the Chorus an integral (important and necessary) part of the plays you have read?
17. How important is the role of the Messenger in the plays you have read? 25 marks
18. Would Clytemnestra be a better title for Aeschylus’ play than Agamemnon? In your answer you should include discussion of the roles of the two characters and the themes of the play.
19. How important are the chorus in the plays you have read?
20. How far do you agree that women are always portrayed as the victims in Greek Tragedy?

hope you find this helpful :smile:

That's actually so helpful - thank you so much! I know this wasn't directly intended for me haha but was gonna ask if any of you had predictions! I like the revenge one and I feel after date on the odyssey, revenge is a perfect parallel! But who knows? Really good predictions tho ☺️☺️ Better get crackin on planning some of these!!
That's actually so helpful - thank you so much! I know this wasn't directly intended for me haha but was gonna ask if any of you had predictions! I like the revenge one and I feel after date on the odyssey, revenge is a perfect parallel! But who knows? Really good predictions tho ☺️☺️ Better get crackin on planning some of these!!

your welcome, any one can use those questions for their revision. Revenge could just come up. At this point in time I don't have any major predictions but I do think we should keep an open mind on the prominent themes that reoccur in the plays; revenge (like you pointed out, all the plays are about getting revenge for someone's death), death, violence , conflict, omens, fate and free will is a big one especially when talking about whether or not the tragic heroes could of changed their fate.
Hey guys, just wondering if someone could list the themes in Antigone/Electra/Medea? I'm making lists/quotes etc. myself but I thought some outside thoughts might be helpful! Thanks
Original post by Becca Rawr
Hey guys, just wondering if someone could list the themes in Antigone/Electra/Medea? I'm making lists/quotes etc. myself but I thought some outside thoughts might be helpful! Thanks

hey thanks for replying. I think a good way of figuring out themes in the plays is to look at the questions from past papers and see if any reoccurring themes keep being asked about. You might benefit from look at the questions I've posted earlier. From the top of my head some themes are; justice, death, conflict (especially between men and women), revenge, role of women, patriarchal society, fate and free will, tragic heroes, violence, dramatic irony, the role of gods in deciding fate, harmatia peripeteia katharsis etc. I'll post the specification of this exam so you know exactly what to be revising.
hi all, as promised here is the spec:
literary context;
- the theatre building and machinery
-use of actors
- use of the chorus
- other dramatic conventions such as the structure of the plays, messenger speeches and deus ex machina.
-attitudes to the portrayal of death and violence
- characterisation including the role of minor characters
- language
- dramatic irony
- the nature of tragedy including concepts such as hamartia, peripeteia and katharsis
- the particular styles and approaches characteristic of the thee tragedians and their contribution to the development of Greek tragedy

social and cultural context;
- dramatic festivals
- the role of gods and fate in the world
- oracles, omens and prophecies
- moral concepts such as revenge and justice
- death and burial
- the stories of the heroes and the ideas of honour and reputation
- the role of men in the life of the city
- the position of women in society
- the importance of children and family
Oh god. I didn't get the chance to do classical languages at my school but I want to do joint classics at Uni.

Do you think this is the kind of thing you'll have to write ablut and work with?

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi all, as promised here is the spec:
literary context;
- the theatre building and machinery
-use of actors
- use of the chorus
- other dramatic conventions such as the structure of the plays, messenger speeches and deus ex machina.
-attitudes to the portrayal of death and violence
- characterisation including the role of minor characters
- language
- dramatic irony
- the nature of tragedy including concepts such as hamartia, peripeteia and katharsis
- the particular styles and approaches characteristic of the thee tragedians and their contribution to the development of Greek tragedy

social and cultural context;
- dramatic festivals
- the role of gods and fate in the world
- oracles, omens and prophecies
- moral concepts such as revenge and justice
- death and burial
- the stories of the heroes and the ideas of honour and reputation
- the role of men in the life of the city
- the position of women in society
- the importance of children and family

Thanks this is useful! :smile: Also - some themes I found/thought of doing some work just now (on top of what you said) was cycle of vengeance/curses/manliness in women/family ties, and also in Electra there's true nobility, and in Agamemnon there's light/darkness and furies etc., aaand Antigone has Divine law vs state law and hubris/glory... hope this helps too :3

edit: There's just so much to revise D:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending