The Student Room Group

WJEC AS Physics PH2 June 4th 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I also thought the very last question was a strong interaction? There wasn't any gamma ray involvement and u and d numbers were individually conserved?

And I always thought that weak took much longer than strong/E-M, therefore lower energies (and it mentioned high speed in the question).

And for the second part of question 1 where it asked why the student's answer didn't make any sense, what did people put? I left that one until the end and put because in progressive waves amplitude is always constant? I asked people in school about it and they put other things, so I'm not sure now.
Original post by holly30
I also thought the very last question was a strong interaction? There wasn't any gamma ray involvement and u and d numbers were individually conserved?

And I always thought that weak took much longer than strong/E-M, therefore lower energies (and it mentioned high speed in the question).

And for the second part of question 1 where it asked why the student's answer didn't make any sense, what did people put? I left that one until the end and put because in progressive waves amplitude is always constant? I asked people in school about it and they put other things, so I'm not sure now.

I put the amplitude of a progressive wave is constant (since the student implied that it wasn't, as they said it was the distance between 2 points with the same amplitude, if you know what I mean :tongue:)
Reply 62
Original post by merrigold
I put the amplitude of a progressive wave is constant (since the student implied that it wasn't, as they said it was the distance between 2 points with the same amplitude, if you know what I mean :tongue:)

Yeah, me too. I think I explained it a bit awkwardly then, sorry, haha. I just wasn't confident when the people I asked all said something different.
Reply 63
Original post by somevirtualguy
I got all the same, wasn't sure about the crests so I'm glad someone else did them 1/3 along too :smile:

Really annoyed with myself as I put a strong interaction for the particle question because I saw the small time period, and was completely oblivious to the neutrino :frown: that's the price you pay for rushing lol

Well strong interactions aren't just small time periods, they're VERY small time periods XD.
Messed up the frequency and the star temperature, pretty sure I got everything else right though
Reply 65
Original post by RhymeAsylumForever
Messed up the frequency and the star temperature, pretty sure I got everything else right though

Star temp ~4140 (for both values).
Fundamental (first harmonic) frequency 16.7 Hz.
Did you get either of those (assuming that's the frequency you were talking about)?
Original post by PrimeLime
Did you get either of those (assuming that's the frequency you were talking about)?

My star temp was ~13450 which I obviously realised was wrong after and couldn't get the answer to be around 4000 so I just left it at that lol. And I couldn't work out the v for the frequency so just made up a value and my frequency was 20Hz lol
Reply 67
My star temp was ~13450 which I obviously realised was wrong after and couldn't get the answer to be around 4000 so I just left it at that lol. And I couldn't work out the v for the frequency so just made up a value and my frequency was 20Hz lol

v was 80 and wavelength was double the distance between the walls i.e. 4.8. So v/(lambda) = 16.7 Hz. It was only 2 marks though, since one mark was for the sketch of the string. :smile:

I got the same temperature but I got 25Hz as the fundamental frequency.
v was 80 and wavelength was double the distance between the walls i.e. 4.8. So v/(lambda) = 16.7 Hz. It was only 2 marks though, since one mark was for the sketch of the string. :smile:

Damn I should have clocked that, ah well, pretty sure I got everything else right anyway
It's a shame that wjec isn't more common there's only a few of us posting 😂
Reply 71
Damn I should have clocked that, ah well, pretty sure I got everything else right anyway

It took me about 20 minutes of thought to get...
Reply 72
Original post by somevirtualguy
It's a shame that wjec isn't more common there's only a few of us posting 😂

Yeah, WJEC is really uncommon, when I made this thread I half-expected no replies XD.
Reply 73
Original post by holly30

Yep, it's because EVERY point on the wave has the same amplitude.
It took me about 20 minutes of thought to get...

Yeah I finished the paper in about an hour then tried the star question and just couldn't get it and then spent ages doing frequency and I was just thinking it must be earlier on in the question but then I got confused about the fundamental frequencies so my mind just blanked
Did anyone resit the ph2 exam today? What did you all think
I thought it was a bit of a weird paper, but I think it went well :smile: what about you
Yeah was weird! I ran out of time so not very well... Do you have an unofficial mark scheme or remember some of your answers?
dw, loads of people i know ran out of time too!! i literally can't remember anything im afraid.. how did people you know who did it find it? becasue my year had such mixed views! agh i just need to do well in PH4 and PH5 which is seeming unlikely!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending