The Student Room Group

Article: Parental advice that makes students mad

You can view the page at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16691-Parental-advice-that-makes-students-mad

What things do your parents say that drives you bonkers?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The cousin line and asking me to predict my grades were staples of my exam periods :sigh:
Reply 2
I don't get given any advice after I gave my Dad several exam papers to look at. :giggle: Lets me do my thiang regardless.
"Revise"

"How was your exam" (not advice, but I just find it annoying when they ask how it went and then ask me to tell them more as if I should repeat the whole exam to them and my exact thoughts on each question lol)
Mine never shut up when I'm revising, I ask for the house to be quiet and they refuse; playing guitar, shouting, singing, tv, radio etc., I revise all the time and when I take a break if the house is quieter they tell me I should be grateful and revise then and that I'm moody and out of line for asking for a quiet time for me to revise and actually pass my exams.
'It's too late now - revision won't make a difference at this point: It's all about the long-term work you've been accumulating.' Okay. Okay. ......

And after the exam: 'Of course, the stuff you didn't learn in lessons and the stuff you didn't revise came up. That's the point of exams. To test what you don't know. So you've got to revise everything in the future. '
I struggle to comprehend - what even is this... Way to be encouraging.

And when you're like: 'Meh, it could have been better but it wasn't a train wreck'.
And they're like: WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU COULD HAVE DONE BETTER! OMG, YOU"RE GOING TO FAIL!

I have lovely parents. They just say the things that rub me up the wrong way.
after the exam my dad will be like

"How much percentage you expecting" and in my head i'm like yo.. fix your english first
Original post by turn-to-page394
'It's too late now - revision won't make a difference at this point: It's all about the long-term work you've been accumulating.' Okay. Okay. ......

And after the exam: 'Of course, the stuff you didn't learn in lessons and the stuff you didn't revise came up. That's the point of exams. To test what you don't know. So you've got to revise everything in the future. '
I struggle to comprehend - what even is this... Way to be encouraging.

And when you're like: 'Meh, it could have been better but it wasn't a train wreck'.
And they're like: WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU COULD HAVE DONE BETTER! OMG, YOU"RE GOING TO FAIL!

I have lovely parents. They just say the things that rub me up the wrong way.

That sounds so **** mate. I hope they don't actually "rub you up".
Reply 8
I don't care for none of that. What infuriates me is when my mom questions why I feel the need to work hard at school or aspire for a career as a girl when I should aspire to marry into a good family, well off husband and suggest that I shouldn't work to be independent but for the sake of a degree to present to suitors!
I'd be glad if my mom ever encouraged me to aspire to work, to study and work hard for myself and not for a man, to have a good future built on my own achievements and to be defined by my own character.
Sure, your parents may be judgemental and harsh but at least they mean well.
Original post by roo98
I don't care for none of that. What infuriates me is when my mom questions why I feel the need to work hard at school or aspire for a career as a girl when I should aspire to marry into a good family, well off husband and suggest that I shouldn't work to be independent but for the sake of a degree to present to suitors!
I'd be glad if my mom ever encouraged me to aspire to work, to study and work hard for myself and not for a man, to have a good future built on my own achievements and to be defined by my own character.
Sure, your parents may be judgemental and harsh but at least they mean well.

Wow, thats got to hurt...
Reply 10
Original post by Jai Sandhu
Wow, thats got to hurt...

it does. especially when I plan on having a future that is unacceptable for her in a couple of years which may mean I wont be able to maintain a relationship with my mother
I got the 'we won't be disappointed' one last week... Great yeah, well that makes me feel much better about that exam I just failed.
My parents always just leave me to it, tbh. I just get the 'as long as you've tried your best we'll be proud of you even if you fail' speech, which is lovely of them really.
Original post by battycatlady
My parents always just leave me to it, tbh. I just get the 'as long as you've tried your best we'll be proud of you even if you fail' speech, which is lovely of them really.

It's a bit insincere though, surely? Much easier to feel proud of someone who hasn't failed.
Suppose it's still nice if they say it though.
Original post by Duskstar
"Revise"

"How was your exam" (not advice, but I just find it annoying when they ask how it went and then ask me to tell them more as if I should repeat the whole exam to them and my exact thoughts on each question lol)

I agree that this can be slightly annoying yes.
I love how whenever I say the exam was ok, my parents immediately assume I did badly
'Did you check your work' is another one I hate. I will always answer this sarcastically ~
The internet one- SOOOOO TRUE!
Original post by Everythingstupid
That sounds so **** mate. I hope they don't actually "rub you up".

I knew someone was going to say that the moment I posted it but couldn't be arsed to go and change it.... :colonhash:
"Study what you enjoy, the rest will follow."

Quick Reply

Latest