The Student Room Group

I'm kinda sick of the way men are expected to "entertain"

I swear sometimes it seems like girls have so many expectations of men. Most girls I meet at this age (19) are utterly bland, have little to say for themselves and are incredibly generic.

As a man if you like a girl your expected to make a move on her, not come off to keen but also not too distant, be the right mixture of cheeky and polite, carry the conversation at pretty much all times, have jokes memorised if a date gets boring, spend a ****load on things you can't afford so you don't look like a cheapskate etc. It's like were expected to have this persona of a steely bond-esque character up at all times.

Meanwhile all a girl is expected to do is look attractive.

It explains why so many of them have so little character. You get the odd girl who is really funny but its a rarity, most of them won't even acknowledge you unless your really attractive or acknowledge them first.

I was watching Dinner Date the other day and when asked what she wanted her date to be like she said "Tall, hot, has to be able to make me laugh, a nice beard". Damn, I mean we are all allowed to have preferences but **** .. Why can't this bitch make herself laugh ? You hear that phrase thrown around by women all the time. Not only are we meant to spoil women and protect them but we also have to be comedians.

This sounds so bitter but it's true.

Why do you think the whole PUA thing got so big ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There's a reason these girls are single.

The guys they want are often so in love with themselves there's no room in the relationship for another.
They are spoilt and everything is dictated by them, like you shall be on the end of string, foot stomping over emotional matters too. It's not feminism, that gives dignity, it's just spoilt women who hate men and basically have no humility whatsoever.
You are right, girls need to make impressions too (other than their appearance)
Original post by Anonymous
I swear sometimes it seems like girls have so many expectations of men. Most girls I meet at this age (19) are utterly bland, have little to say for themselves and are incredibly generic.

As a man if you like a girl your expected to make a move on her, not come off to keen but also not too distant, be the right mixture of cheeky and polite, carry the conversation at pretty much all times, have jokes memorised if a date gets boring, spend a ****load on things you can't afford so you don't look like a cheapskate etc. It's like were expected to have this persona of a steely bond-esque character up at all times.

?

Who's fault is that, then? Can't get mad at women if this all they're expected to do (even though it's not true, but we'll go with what you said).
You've obviously been hanging out with some very dull girls
Original post by A5ko
There's a reason these girls are single.

The guys they want are often so in love with themselves there's no room in the relationship for another.

This

I wouldn't go out with a boring girl lol.
(edited 8 years ago)
And I don't see any man resentful of female's expectations of what a man is except for the males who cannot live up to it. Don't use rage to discourage someone from having pretty reasonable standards.

But the expectation women have in a man to be physically strong and to provide are probably arbitrarily perpetuated from standards for a man back in like the mid 20th century and earlier, when women did not have the rights that there are today, and relied on men or suffered poverty being single and undereducated while boggled down with children they cannot afford. These days as women progress and can do more for themselves, whether they chose to or not, we find ourselves stuck in old fashioned standards and romantic practices while in a new day, whether it's better now or not.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hot girls can get what they want without developing a personality. Same goes for guys, though to a lesser extent.
Instead of stating what you don't want in lady, maybe express what you would like? You chastise women for being dull, yet use your basis for this argument with "Dinner Date". I think most women want a companion, not a performing monkey. You also seem to be contradicting yourself a bit too, you slate women for wanting someone who will make them laugh yet you also said "You get the odd girl who is really funny but its a rarity"... seems as though you're looking for the same thing as the people you're so frustrated with. Idk, maybe you're just going after the wrong girls.
Reply 10

It explains why so many of them have so little character. You get the odd girl who is really funny but its a rarity, most of them won't even acknowledge you unless your really attractive or acknowledge them first.

I was watching Dinner Date the other day and when asked what she wanted her date to be like she said "Tall, hot, has to be able to make me laugh, a nice beard". Damn, I mean we are all allowed to have preferences but **** .. Why can't this bitch make herself laugh ? You hear that phrase thrown around by women all the time. Not only are we meant to spoil women and protect them but we also have to be comedians.

Sometimes girls are basic, that's what happens when women are expected to only look attractive, more time spent on the image then learning (pretty hurts- beyonce tells it). To be honest everyone has ideals, but if ur comfortable in your own identity or project confidence (fake it till you make it) you'll be attractive
I used to chase that dream once but I'm afraid there just is no such thing as this perfect girl who has real interests, can carry a conversation, look good AND has good intentions.

The sooner you realise and just enjoy women and accept their flaws, the easier life becomes.
Reply 12
Original post by Jebedee
I used to chase that dream once but I'm afraid there just is no such thing as this perfect girl who has real interests, can carry a conversation, look good AND has good intentions.

The sooner you realise and just enjoy women and accept their flaws, the easier life becomes.

I used to chase that dream once but I'm afraid there is just no such thing as this perfect guy who has real interests, can carry a conversation, they are all either mute or retarded; look ****ing hot AND has good intentions? I don't think so

The sooner you realise and just enjoy ****ing men or the laughing at the silly manly things they say and accept they're just not up to our gender standards, the easier life becomes
You don't have to do any of that. Rather than putting the girl on a pedestal and giving her all the power, put yourself on that pedestal with her, better yet kick her off lol and ask her what she has besides her looks to get your attention.Rule number 1 is to always have respect for yourself, if someone is not willing to make the effort, excuse yourself and find someone else who will. After all females are everywhere. :u:
You get the odd girl who is really funny but its a rarity, most of them won't even acknowledge you unless your really attractive or acknowledge them first.

The world's population is 7,125,000,000 according to google, assuming I've wrote the number billion correctly (I'm never quite sure)

Male and female is roughly a 50/50 split, so about 3562500000 women on earth.

Let's take "a rarity" to mean 1%, so divide by 100, 35625000 women on earth are actually funny.

Assume only half of them are actually physically attractive, 17812500 women on earth of decent relationship material, roughly.

In conclusion: You're going about things all wrong.

Original post by tengentoppa
You've obviously been hanging out with some very dull girls
Plus in bed you're expected to "perform". Men are not really supposed to enjoy sex in our society, or at least only in an incidental way. It's mainly a duty to the woman and a social signifier to peers. If you enjoy something kinky or sex toys or whatever you're a pervert, whereas if it's a girl it's cute and sexy. The only time you're allowed to enjoy or celebrate it is in terms of notches on the bedpost.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
The world's population is 7,125,000,000 according to google, assuming I've wrote the number billion correctly (I'm never quite sure)

Male and female is roughly a 50/50 split, so about 3562500000 women on earth.

Let's take "a rarity" to mean 1%, so divide by 100, 35625000 women on earth are actually funny.

Assume only half of them are actually physically attractive, 17812500 women on earth of decent relationship material, roughly.

In conclusion: You're going about things all wrong.

17.812.500 decent relationship material.

3.562.499.999 men to compete with.

you kinda disproved your own point there

you need to bring something to the table
Aww, I'm glad you think girls are bland and generic
Reply 18
Original post by Smilin’ Knight
17.812.500 decent relationship material.

3.562.499.999 men to compete with.

you kinda disproved your own point there

Forgot to factor lots of them live in India, China and Africa

Lets say the actual calculation is this

About 64m uk population, lets say 10m in transit (visitors who do not live here for long but are here, so 74m, plus this only really applies in London)

Then you have the age factor... Young adults account for 12% according to census (7.4 million)

So you have 7.4m out of 64m

Then half that for gender

3.6m

Then not all of those are single, maybe 3/4 have a boyfriend so about

So if 1% of those were funny that would leave 9,000 young adult women in the UK
omg the rantings of a straight boy <3 love it, make a twitter account and condense your daily thoughts for the world to see dude, top notch entertainment - just like I expect off a man :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest