The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

economics and maths at Bristol

I'm in year 12 atm, just one exam left so when I go back it'll be time to start thinking about uni. I've looked at bristol and it looks really attractive to me. I want to study either economics and maths or just maths. however, it seems really competitive (ratio of apps:tongue:laces) and I don't know whats best to do to further my chances of getting in. So I take maths, english lit, economics and film and i'll likely drop lit. i know it's probably better over film but I won't get an A in it and I hate it. Next year, will taking up AS further maths (..and epq?) further my chances or be feasible enough to get me in. I can't imagine just the three a levels alone will be good enough. idk, i'm new to the uni stuff so any info on its true competitiveness etc would help :smile: thanks
Hi Jupers,
I'm in year 13 and have an offer from Bristol to study pure mathematics. The offer is A*AA where the A* has to be in mathematics. I'm doing A2 maths, chemistry biology and AS further maths this year. Bristols maths department and most maths departments appear to prioritise grades much higher than epq's, personal stement, etc. Although maths is a competitive course if your target grades at the start of next year are similar to a typical offer then you'll probably get an offer! I'd recommend dropping 2 of your AS levels and do AS and A2 further maths as you'd probably get a lower offer and, although that seems like a lot of maths, further maths is much easier than it sounds!
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by fgjhtfktd
Hi Jupers,
I'm in year 13 and have an offer from Bristol to study pure mathematics. The offer is A*AA where the A* has to be in mathematics. I'm doing A2 maths, chemistry biology and AS further maths this year. Bristols maths department and most maths departments appear to prioritise grades much higher than epq's, personal stement, etc. Although maths is a competitive course if your target grades at the start of next year are similar to a typical offer then you'll probably get an offer! I'd recommend dropping 2 of your AS levels and do AS and A2 further maths as you'd probably get a lower offer and, although that seems like a lot of maths, further maths is much easier than it sounds!

I did think about doing this but I don't know if it would've been too much. Although the flip side is I wouldn't be doing 2 courses I don't really enjoy. I also don't know if my college would allow this? I've asked and they are happy for me to do AS but they might find me ridiculously optimistic if I want to do both

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending