The Student Room Group

What A-Levels are you taking/what did you take?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IIEquinoxII
Physics Chemistry Maths Further Maths

Would have done Law or History as a fifth but decided not to as I already had a good idea of what I wanted to do at uni and don't need to keep my options open.

That's good that you already know what area you want to do, I suppose that means you will get a more academic head rather than doing random subjects which don't fit together well. It should be less confusing. Good luck!
Reply 61
History
Politics
English lit/lang

dropped geography after AS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Graphic Design
Japanese

I'm picking up further maths next year because I've found that maths is pretty fun at a level. I'm glad my parents bribed me to take it. :tongue:
Original post by Jasaron
English Literature
History
Maths
Economics

For an application for law at Oxford. Does anyone else think that maths, FM and the three sciences would be incredibly boring?

Well my friend did that and has an offer for Law at Cambridge but he did it without the further maths. You can apply for Law with ANY combination of subjects.
Original post by Jasaron
English Literature
History
Maths
Economics

For an application for law at Oxford. Does anyone else think that maths, FM and the three sciences would be incredibly boring?

I think your choices are good because law doesn't require sciency A Levels, and they might make you miserable if you're not suited to them. History and English lit are subjects where you debate and analyse so these skills can be applied in law. Maths looks impressive too. Don't know lots about economics but it seems to pair well with maths.
Original post by wajed
History
Politics
English lit/lang

dropped geography after AS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, you must write lots of essays. Do you find because these subjects are writing subjects that you have lots of work to do?
Original post by DistantTraces
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Graphic Design
Japanese

I'm picking up further maths next year because I've found that maths is pretty fun at a level. I'm glad my parents bribed me to take it. :tongue:

Holy moly woman, 6 A Levels!?! If you can do it, that will look impressive. They show a range of skills too. Which subject is the hardest?
Original post by Jai Sandhu
Well my friend did that and has an offer for Law at Cambridge but he did it without the further maths. You can apply for Law with ANY combination of subjects.

My comment has nothing to do with doing a certain combination of subjects to study law, it is in regards to me not enjoying those subjects very much.

Original post by kittykatieboo
I think your choices are good because law doesn't require sciency A Levels, and they might make you miserable if you're not suited to them. History and English lit are subjects where you debate and analyse so these skills can be applied in law. Maths looks impressive too. Don't know lots about economics but it seems to pair well with maths.

Law courses just require subjects that showcase academic prowess, so I just chose the subjects I enjoy the most. I opted for Literature over physics because I felt that I'd rather gain a better knowledge of texts than grow my knowledge of physics, which would only be useful in very rare circumstances.
Original post by Jasaron
My comment has nothing to do with doing a certain combination of subjects to study law, it is in regards to me not enjoying those subjects very much.

Law courses just require subjects that showcase academic prowess, so I just chose the subjects I enjoy the most. I opted for Literature over physics because I felt that I'd rather gain a better knowledge of texts than grow my knowledge of physics, which would only be useful in very rare circumstances.

Do you think literature is hard?
Hope it goes well! Chemistry is fairly hard I've heard, but geography is fairly easy according to my older brother (he got an A in it) so maybe you could allocate some of your time from geography to chemistry if you're struggling.

I absolutely love Geography and Biology, therefore I won't need much support in that and can focus on Chemistry. I have a really awful Chemistry teacher so perhaps that's my reason for struggling a little. I'm going to a private school for my A-levels, however, so it should be alright.
Original post by Jasaron

Sorry I misunderstood it.Though those subjects are 5 out of the only 6 subjects I would do at A level given the option to go back in time
Original post by iPatr0nus
I'm taking psychology, biology and chemistry but I'm not sure what to choose for a fourth??? Opinions please :colondollar:

You could either pick a subject you like or one that could help you in uni and the future career you want.

Im taking Psychology, Sociology, History and RS atm.

The only subject relevant for my future in Psychology because I want to study it at uni. The others I just took because I like them. RS i took up 2 months after starting year 12 after replacing it with Biology because I found it hard af.

Btw, there are essays in RS, i took something similar to philosophy and ethics - religion and ethics
Original post by iPatr0nus
Do you think literature is hard?

That's subjective. It's definitely considered to be a rigorous subject, though.
@Jasaron [QUOTE= Law courses just require subjects that showcase academic prowess, so I just chose the subjects I enjoy the most. I opted for Literature over physics because I felt that I'd rather gain a better knowledge of texts than grow my knowledge of physics, which would only be useful in very rare circumstances.

That's wise, you'll only make yourself miserable if you chose subjects which are extremely well respected over ones which make you happy and are too respected in a different way.
@Jasaron

That's wise, you'll only make yourself miserable if you chose subjects which are extremely well respected over ones which make you happy and are too respected in a different way.

I've heard that A-Levels are hard enough already; I'm doing my utmost to not make them a chore too! :smile:
I think I want to take biology, maths, pe and chemistry or further maths. Anybody took fairly similar and got any advice or opinions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Accio_Books
I absolutely love Geography and Biology, therefore I won't need much support in that and can focus on Chemistry. I have a really awful Chemistry teacher so perhaps that's my reason for struggling a little. I'm going to a private school for my A-levels, however, so it should be alright.

It's good that you're prepared that this could happen, least you're being honest to yourself. My brother got A* in maths and A in further maths (took in year 13 and taught himself) so if I get stuck I can ask him, also I enjoy maths. Biology is enjoyable and understandable - I can memorize things well regarding I give myself enough time. History is so interesting to me and I love it. Eng lang is interesting too, but only really to fill up the space of four a levels - I understand it's not as respected as the others so if I want to drop one it will probably be eng lang.
Original post by Arun99
Is this good for an accounting degree:

Further Maths
Maths
Physics (the science that I do the best in my GCSEs)
Economics

Posted from TSR Mobile

I currently do these exact A Levels. (Edexcel Maths and AQA Physics and Econ).

Very good set of A Levels for pretty much anything. Its not too focused in anything and unis love if you have an A Level in Further Maths
Original post by Jasaron
I've heard that A-Levels are hard enough already; I'm doing my utmost to not make them a chore too! :smile:

My physics teacher wants me to take it for A Level because he thinks i'm good at it (despite being in set 4 out of 5 sets and doing double science instead of triple) and he was trying to convince me it was essential for primary school teaching and I was like no way matey, do you want me to die? haha :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
It's good that you're prepared that this could happen, least you're being honest to yourself. My brother got A* in maths and A in further maths (took in year 13 and taught himself) so if I get stuck I can ask him, also I enjoy maths. Biology is enjoyable and understandable - I can memorize things well regarding I give myself enough time. History is so interesting to me and I love it. Eng lang is interesting too, but only really to fill up the space of four a levels - I understand it's not as respected as the others so if I want to drop one it will probably be eng lang.

It's good that you have support in maths as it's so useful and a highly respected subject. I find Biology so interesting and it is a lot of things to memorise so I find it easy. I didn't take History, I took art as my second option instead - which I regret. It sounds so very interesting and gives you more knowledge.
English language isn't an option for me at the school I'm going to - the woman looked appalled when I said I wanted to take it and told me that the only English they do is literature. I was so disappointed, I wanted to take both. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest