The Student Room Group

Study Revision Tips?

Does anyone have any general revision study tips. Please I urgently needs advice on how to study well. Thanks so much.
Original post by G98
Does anyone have any general revision study tips. Please I urgently needs advice on how to study well. Thanks so much.

Firstly, you sound panicked. Don't panic! :smile: You can still revise effectively and efficiently in the short space of time you have till exams. Because you are under pressure, you won't procrastinate at all, which is great. So, here's the usual tips related to keeping your brain in top health while revising:

- Stay hydrated as water is good for your brain activity.
- Eat well.
- Get plenty of sleep and try not to stress. It can be natural to stress with exams, but think of exams as natural processes that almost everyone globally does them too!

Here are tips on how you may choose to revise:
- First, find out what learner you are (visual/auditory/kinaesthetic). You can do this via quizzes online, but don't waste too much time on this! This step will help you tailor general revision tips to help you the best.
- Then, you need to plan a revision timetable. (or at the very least, use a calendar and write each day what you PLAN to do; tick them off as you go along)
- You can either revise i) TIME based or ii) CONTENT based - Time based is when you sit down and say you're going to revise 45 minutes of Biology, for instance, whereas Content based is when you decide to revise 'Cell structure and cell membranes'. It depends on you as a person. If you are unable to focus for long periods of time, time based revision is for you as these are 'short bursts' of revision where your brain remains focused. If you believe in your ability to focus for a long time and are motivated to work, then you can use content based revision.
- Short bursts of revision, even when doing content based can be helpful, e.g. learn cell structure and then have a 10 minute break and when you return, test yourself on cell structure and move on to cell membranes.
- Switch subjects every once in a while. E.g. after 2 hours of Geography revision, your brain is sick of it. Move on to something else, possibly a more enjoyable subject.
- Turn off all distractions, e.g. mobile phones, TV, music (unless it helps you, however you must note that it has been proven that music, if not used correctly is usually a distraction to the brain). With mobile phones, just switch them off, or keep them out of sight, away from your revision area. If you find it difficult to stay away from the Internet, e.g. Facebook/Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter, there is a great app for it called 'Self Control'. On the app, you can add websites to your blacklist for a set period of time, which means you CANNOT access these sites AT ALL till the time limit is up. Alternatively, you can put on 'whitelist' which means you have no access to the internet AT ALL.
- Your revision area should be tidy and organised when not revising and whilst revising, only have out the things you are using. You will find you have a lot more out than you need. A cluttered workspace = a cluttered mind!
- Final tip: Past papers!! I cannot stress how important it is to get a feel for examination questions for your board, subject, paper and unit. Use mark schemes to help you once you have learnt content.

That is all I can think of. Sorry it's so long! :smile:
Don't stress.
Reply 2
Original post by revisionkills
Firstly, you sound panicked. Don't panic! :smile: You can still revise effectively and efficiently in the short space of time you have till exams. Because you are under pressure, you won't procrastinate at all, which is great. So, here's the usual tips related to keeping your brain in top health while revising:

- Stay hydrated as water is good for your brain activity.
- Eat well.
- Get plenty of sleep and try not to stress. It can be natural to stress with exams, but think of exams as natural processes that almost everyone globally does them too!

Here are tips on how you may choose to revise:
- First, find out what learner you are (visual/auditory/kinaesthetic). You can do this via quizzes online, but don't waste too much time on this! This step will help you tailor general revision tips to help you the best.
- Then, you need to plan a revision timetable. (or at the very least, use a calendar and write each day what you PLAN to do; tick them off as you go along)
- You can either revise i) TIME based or ii) CONTENT based - Time based is when you sit down and say you're going to revise 45 minutes of Biology, for instance, whereas Content based is when you decide to revise 'Cell structure and cell membranes'. It depends on you as a person. If you are unable to focus for long periods of time, time based revision is for you as these are 'short bursts' of revision where your brain remains focused. If you believe in your ability to focus for a long time and are motivated to work, then you can use content based revision.
- Short bursts of revision, even when doing content based can be helpful, e.g. learn cell structure and then have a 10 minute break and when you return, test yourself on cell structure and move on to cell membranes.
- Switch subjects every once in a while. E.g. after 2 hours of Geography revision, your brain is sick of it. Move on to something else, possibly a more enjoyable subject.
- Turn off all distractions, e.g. mobile phones, TV, music (unless it helps you, however you must note that it has been proven that music, if not used correctly is usually a distraction to the brain). With mobile phones, just switch them off, or keep them out of sight, away from your revision area. If you find it difficult to stay away from the Internet, e.g. Facebook/Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter, there is a great app for it called 'Self Control'. On the app, you can add websites to your blacklist for a set period of time, which means you CANNOT access these sites AT ALL till the time limit is up. Alternatively, you can put on 'whitelist' which means you have no access to the internet AT ALL.
- Your revision area should be tidy and organised when not revising and whilst revising, only have out the things you are using. You will find you have a lot more out than you need. A cluttered workspace = a cluttered mind!
- Final tip: Past papers!! I cannot stress how important it is to get a feel for examination questions for your board, subject, paper and unit. Use mark schemes to help you once you have learnt content.

That is all I can think of. Sorry it's so long! :smile:
Don't stress.

Thank you so much. This is the sort of advice I needed. I can't thank you enough.
Original post by G98
Thank you so much. This is the sort of advice I needed. I can't thank you enough.

My pleasure! Message me if there's any other questions you have 😊and good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by revisionkills
My pleasure! Message me if there's any other questions you have 😊and good luck!

Okay, thanks. I wish you all the very best of luck with your exams, as well. Once again thank you so much.
Original post by G98

Get off TSR, it's addictive. I was trying to do a past paper but got caught out by my damn notifications. Good luck, b.
Reply 6
Original post by KingdomOfTheLord
Get off TSR, it's addictive. I was trying to do a past paper but got caught out by my damn notifications. Good luck, b.

Thanks. This is actually very good advice, because I did used to get distracted by it, but now I've set myself a timetable for revision, so I only use TSR when I'm not doing revision, but thanks for making me aware of this. Good luck in your exams as well.

Quick Reply

Latest