The Student Room Group

Mathematics vs Physics ?

Hi, I am an A Level student who is planning to study Maths / Maths with Economic at university next year. I have an AS in Physics and am currently finishing off my A Levels in Maths, Further Maths and Economics. I am planning to go to university, graduate and then find a career within the banking or financial sector.

I have this preconception that although Maths would be very useful, it would be very long/ boring and too theatrical, not being applicable enough to the real world. This is partially because I was told by a Maths teacher that Physics is more like A level Maths and that Maths at university is completely different and very boring.

What degree do you think is better and why?

This is as when I’ve looked at Job availability for Major companies, they all say we require a degree in accounting, business, economics, maths or anything else related but have heard and seen some cases where physicist have moved into investment banking.

I understand that if I was to do a degree in Physics, I would need to complete an A Level in Physics and would be willing to take a gap year in order to do this.

What degree do you think is better and why?
You should study whatever you like. You will have problems if you study whatever you dislike.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So my background is I was at Warwick doing Maths for 2 terms (which is the entire teaching year term 3 is only exams) and I hated it, dropped out and will be starting a Psychology degree in September.

University Maths is completely different to A level Maths, however to call it boring is unfair I found it boring but there where over 100 other students that enjoyed it. I would strongly recommend you buy and read an introductory book on a topic such as analysis, groups and sets, linear algebra or complex algebra. The only way you can see if you like university maths it to do extra reading as there is no A level anything like it.

Quick Reply

Latest