The Student Room Group

Should I retake the SAT with 2250?

Hi,

I've got a 2250 sat score (800 CR 760 M 690 W), would it be worth the time and money to retake? I know the Writing score isn't great but I've heard that many colleges don't put too much weighting on the Writing section anyway; not sure if that's applicable if I'm a UK applicant.

Thanks!!:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When are Sat exams usually taken?
Like in which month
Reply 2
I've got a 2250 sat score (800 CR 760 M 690 W), would it be worth the time and money to retake? I know the Writing score isn't great but I've heard that many colleges don't put too much weighting on the Writing section anyway; not sure if that's applicable if I'm a UK applicant.

Thanks!!:biggrin:

I prefer not as it is a good score
Reply 3
Original post by Rulezz
When are Sat exams usually taken?
Like in which month

If you're taking them from the UK, the next one's on the 6th June
Reply 4
LOL no way ...any further date after 6 june?
Reply 5
Original post by Rulezz
LOL no way ...any further date after 6 june?

https://sat.collegeboard.org/register/sat-international-dates

I think there might be ones in Oct but not sure, doesn't say on the CollegeBoard website :smile:
Reply 6
But will that harm my chances of getting into a good college, especially as an international applicant?
Reply 7
Thanks
Reply 8
If you get say any higher in any section they'll superscore the whole thing, so it's worth a try.
Bear in mind , that's a high score but you are in for 2%-4% of places
Reply 9
Tbh probably the top colleges simply because that's the only way I could justify the high costs of applying and actual uni fees, but I have no idea if I'm good enough.

Right now I've got 11A*s at GCSE, taking 6 AS levels, quite a wide range of ECs but nothing I'm exceptionally good at. Taking subject tests in June but didn't really leave much time to prep for them so idk if it's worth applying or not.

Thanks!:smile:
Reply 10
Haha yeah vaguely so; but I'm guessing it will still be higher than the UK? Also the application fees for each college applied to... I just don't know if the chances of me being able to get in are worth it :smile:
Reply 11
Ah ok thanks! But what sort of criteria is necessary in order to be eligible for merit based aid? (as in, would I improve my chances by retaking the SATs?)
Reply 12
Lol I don't think I could repeat a 800 for CR- that was probably all luck, and not sure if I could even improve in Writing if I tried, I'm still waiting for the score report. Do you happen to know whether or not it's true that colleges tend to look less at the Writing scores that the Maths and CR?:smile:
Uchicago also gives merit based aid at undergrad too!
they give out quite a lot actually. I was admitted to the class of 2019 and tons of people on the FB group ended up picking Uchicago over Ivies like UPenn because Chicago is v. generous with aid
it's all about personal preference i guess! i know American guy whose top choice was Penn but couldn't go because they only gave him 3k in aid vs the 22k UChicago gave in merit aid
tbh i visited both and preferred Penn :P Penn took a really long time to re-evaluate aid this year, so many people didn't get an updated package before the May 1st deadline

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending