The Student Room Group

How often do you brush your teeth with braces?

I've recently got my braces in and I wanted to know how often your supposed to brush them? I usually clean mine twice a day: I thoroughly brush with just a toothbrush in the morning and once before I go to bed, where I use a toothbrush, proxy brush and mouthwash. I thought this would be enough but I've looked it up and nearly everyone says to floss and brush after EVERY meal, otherwise you'll get stains. I did ask my dentist about flossing and he said I wouldn't be able to because of the brace so he said it was fine. Surely if no food gets stuck or if it does, just pick it out and it would be fine?
Please help as I feel really paranoid about this now, I already refuse to eat or drink anything that could damage the brace/teeth. I've waited years for my brace and I don't want to ruin the result.

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Xxx
try brushing 3 times a day, helps a lot! keep being very thorough :smile:
I brush mine with a toothbrush.
Reply 3
Original post by stroppyninja
I brush mine with a toothbrush.

You mean on its own or with other stuff?
Reply 4
Original post by thehalfblood
try brushing 3 times a day, helps a lot! keep being very thorough :smile:

Ok I'll give that a go, I was afraid if I brushed too much I would damage the enamel
Reply 5
:K: I brush mine twice a day, although I did this because I didn't have time during the daytime. Might do it three times now that school is over and I'll be at home for the most part.
When I had braces I sticked to brushing twice a day still but with an electric toothbrush and the occasional mouth wash but that was it!
And my teeth are nice I'm told so don't sweat it :wink:
I brushed mine twice a day when I had braces, never had a staining issue. Sometimes I'd use the tiny toothbrush I was given to clear stuff out during the day, but that was more of a crap-clearance than actually brushing my teeth
You should brush as much as anyone else, no?

Quick Reply

Latest