The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine

For entry to the medicine course at Cambridge, do they look at an average of all science UMS marks, or mainly your top 3? I believe that I'm in a position where (hopefully, at this rate) I will have UMS percentages around the following:
Maths - 97%
Biology 96%
Chemistry 93%
Physics - 84%
This is worrying me, because exams aren't going great and I'm down after making stupid errors in ALL exams.. Please help?
Reply 1
Those are some very very specific predictions... You can't realistically know what results you'll get until August, don't forget even if you calculate your own marks accurately you have no idea how the rest of the country got on with the papers.

I believe they calculate both overall Science UMS AND best 3, if appliable, but I'm not sure which they place more weight on. Might be worth going to the Cambridge forum and asking in one of the "Ask an Admissions Tutor" threads?
Reply 2
The process is explained on this webpage :smile:

If you need a TL;DR though, basically "Four AS/A2 UMS averages will be generated and presented in four adjacent columns, for applicants who have provided UMS scores for at least three subjects, with a total potential score of at least 600 across the three subjects: [*]Best 3 UMS average
[*]Best 4 UMS average (where available)
[*]Sciences UMS average
[*]Maths (including Further Maths) and Physics UMS average."
They also have your individual UMS marks which you submit in your SAQ however, and it may be that they would care less about the lower physics mark if you did well in your other subjects.

Even so, don't spend too much time thinking on this right now because you really can't know how you actually fared!!
You will have your AS marks before you apply. Wait until then before making any decisions. Obviously.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending