The Student Room Group

Sexism in religion?

Is religion the result of unresolved patriarchy? There are no female prophets. God is often portrayed as a male. Do you think that society revolves around one completely dominant alpha male? (debate- just an idea)
Reply 1
Well I'm a Sikh, and our religion teaches that both females and males are equal.
There are female prophets, well, at least in the Bible.
Reply 4
Original post by Arcai
Well I'm a Sikh, and our religion teaches that both females and males are equal.

lol I was hoping that wouldn't be mentioned, I was kinda thinking about the one god religions
Reply 5
Original post by German123
There are female prophets, well, at least in the Bible.

Are there?
Original post by gizzums
Are there?

yes, there were great women leaders in the Bible, for example, Deborah(i think she was a prophet)

you could find more info online.
Reply 7
yes, there were great women leaders in the Bible, for example, Deborah(i think she was a prophet)

you could find more info online.

If you weren't a woman or a christian would you even know that? The average person probably doesn't know there was even a bible written by Mary. Doesn't that show through history that the influence of women is forgotten not only by most religions but also in culture. The fact that Christianity and Islam and maybe Judaism adhere to the belief of one all powerful male doesn't show anything?
Reply 8
Original post by gizzums
lol I was hoping that wouldn't be mentioned, I was kinda thinking about the one god religions

Sikhs do believe in one God :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Arcai
Sikhs do believe in one God :smile:

Lol I apologise, was thinking of Hinduism (awkward)

but even the all pervading spirit is often translated as being male
Original post by gizzums
If you weren't a woman or a christian would you even know that? The average person probably doesn't know there was even a bible written by Mary. Doesn't that show through history that the influence of women is forgotten not only by most religions but also in culture. The fact that Christianity and Islam and maybe Judaism adhere to the belief of one all powerful male doesn't show anything?

Mary did not write the Bible or any part of it.

Throughout history it is evident that women were and maybe still are looked down upon because of their features and because back in them days they had to stay at home and look after the kids etc. however, Christians believe that God is just despite him being refereed to as a male and in the Bible there are some examples of great women leaders which shows that women were not actually forgotten after all, Mary was the mother of Jesus.
Reply 11
Mary did not write the Bible or any part of it.

Throughout history it is evident that women were and maybe still are looked down upon because of their features and because back in them days they had to stay at home and look after the kids etc. however, Christians believe that God is just despite him being refereed to as a male and in the Bible there are some examples of great women leaders which shows that women were not actually forgotten after all, Mary was the mother of Jesus.

Women have done great things, but are sadly forgotten over time. There is a book called The Gosphel of Mary and of course Jesus has a mother?But she is simply a mother to him, Jesus isn't a woman. Would people even follow christianity if the daughter was placed above the son?
Original post by gizzums
Women have done great things, but are sadly forgotten over time. There is a book called The Gosphel of Mary and of course Jesus has a mother?But she is simply a mother to him, Jesus isn't a woman. Would people even follow christianity if the daughter was placed above the son?

Yes, unfortunately women have been disadvantaged in a patriarchal society but things are improving at least in the western countries.

It is sad that in certain countries women don't have the right to an education and can't do the the things they want unlike the opposite sex.

Tradition tends to get in the way with a lot of things even religion because parents known when their girls will marry they are more likely to take the name after their husbands, therefore abandoning their maiden name.

Tbh i can't answer your question but there is a religion(Hinduism i think) were there are female gods.
a chapter designated to jesus's (pbuh) mother Mariam (Mary) in the Quran

overall islam recognises the difference characteristics and traits of men and women and advises accordingly
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending