The Student Room Group

WJEC CH4 June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by manjot97
OHHHH, thanks so much. so secondary amides undergo alkaline hydrolysis to form carboxylic acids and an amine?

You're welcome. Yes, any hydrolysis of amides will form those.
Well that clears all the confusion guys. Primary Amides undergo base hydrolysis to form a carboxylic acid salt, primary amides also undergo acid hydrolysis to form a carboxylic acid and an ammonium salt. The reason why it stated that amides undergo base hydrolysis in the june 2013 question was because the question was referring to peptide linkages and the amide/peptide bond is a secondary amide. When you hydrolyse a peptide bond you form a carboxylic acid and an amine, it's exactly how two amino acids are seperated using hydrolysis.
Goodnight and goodluck everyone :smile:
Reply 63
Thanks "vodka" for clearing that confusion! So wait, are peptide/amide links always secondary amides. Or am I just going off on the wrong track?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How'd you guys find it? I thought it was a pretty standard paper to be honest.
Solid. Goodbye university....
EDIT: Actually I'd say it was pretty difficult, I reckon there'll be lower grade boundaries for that - certainly lower than last summer's which was literally 90% for an A*! I wouldn't worry too much if you found it diffuclt!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 67
It was not a nice paper at all :/ the hardest one I've done

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Definitely hoping for low boundaries

Posted from TSR Mobile
Missed out few questions, definitely struggled with timing :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The compound W alkene questions were rather funny, I can see them throwing some people off. The first part of section B was also difficult IMO, and the for the 1 marker on the last page, what is missing from the first bullet point, what did you guys write?
Lot more application questions than usual, to make it harder I presume, won't be anywhere near as high as last summer for an A I'd have thought
Original post by Rhetorical Hips
The compound W alkene questions were rather funny, I can see them throwing some people off. The first part of section B was also difficult IMO, and the for the 1 marker on the last page, what is missing from the first bullet point, what did you guys write?

Completely agree, start of question 4 was pretty hard! Had no idea what was missing from the first bullet point, I must have stared at it for a good 2 minutes hahah
Reply 73
So many reactions and conditions didn't come up. So gutted spent ages leading them! Any ideas for grade boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
Original post by steffanjones
Lot more application questions than usual, to make it harder I presume, won't be anywhere near as high as last summer for an A I'd have thought

Yeah 66/80 was an A last year. Don't think it will be that high :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Probably mid to high 60s for an A*
Original post by HG_07

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah definitely not that I can see an A* being closer to 66 than an A
Original post by Rhetorical Hips

Volume of ethanoic acid and ethanol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HG_07

Posted from TSR Mobile

It'll be along the lines of 59-60 for an A this year I think
What did people put for the first question? I put blue lower lower but not sure if the lowers are right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest