The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

New Students Starting At Man Met In September?

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone will be leaving london or home for the first time this September to start at manchester metropolitan universtity? I'm a mature student (22) and will be moving from london to manchester to study fashion. I've never lived away from home before and am quite nervous about leaving. It would be nice to hear from other potential students who may or may not be experiencing the same thing. Any tips or adviced offered will also be greatly received.

Look forward to hearing from ya :biggrin:
Reply 1
Well I´m a mature student as well, even though I couldn´t say that I´ve been living at home all the time! Anyway, you shouldn´t worry about moving out, when I went abroad the first time I got into an environment a lot less sheltered than a UK uni! And it was soooo easy to make friends, cause you have to! That´s actually the point. But the more you worry the better it will be in the end I think. So worry! You´re gonna be all alone! ;-)
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
I went to Man Met for a year, and have just left as i couldn't stand it.

I would really recommend that you don't live in undergrad halls. I did, I'm almost 21, and it was a huge mistake. The majority of 'students' that live there are such obnoxious, self-obsessed juvenile idiots.

Manchester Student Homes have loads of rooms available in houses in student areas like Rusholme, Victoria Park, Fallowfield etc.
Reply 3
pepper

I would really recommend that you don't live in undergrad halls. I did, I'm almost 21, and it was a huge mistake. The majority of 'students' that live there are such obnoxious, self-obsessed juvenile idiots.

Manchester Student Homes have loads of rooms available in houses in student areas like Rusholme, Victoria Park, Fallowfield etc.

lol harsh but fair. Its like you know us all personally.
Reply 4
pepper

http://www.msh.man.ac.uk

is where you want to be for advertised housing. at last check there were 150 spare rooms. then another 500 odd houses. victoria park and rusholme are not the best places, i live there and you keep coming back to see people being arrested and there are many rapes/muggings. the location (right between the notorious moss side and the equally bad longsight) isnt ideal. if you're a mature student, disbury is very nice (best bed being east didsbury - more buses) or withington. fallowfield is nickname 'studentfield' for very good reason.
Reply 5
Omigod, i'm s*****g myself even more now! I've applied for Wilmslow Park halls which i think has 300 rooms on a private lease to man met. the other rooms i suppose are let to students from the other uni's. do u reckon i'd be better off finding a mate to hook up with and sort out something with msh ourselves? i think Wilmslow park is between moss side and longsight like u said, which doesn't sound very safe. Is it really that bad? I live in london at the mo and come from a bit of a rough area myself. dunno if bein streetwise in london is much help when u live in manchester! :eek:
Reply 6
Moss Side is one of the safest areas in Manchester now. People are poor so their is no point in mugging them, their is gun/crime drugs etc but if you don't buy drugs/owe ganstas money you will be 100% safe.

I would rather live in Moss Side than Longsight.
Reply 7
Wilmslow Park is on Oxford Road, you'll be safe there.

But expect a lot of noise!
Reply 8
Thanks for putting my mind as ease. I suppose every city has its 'rough areas', and manchester seems to have got such a bad press lately. I think i'm just being paranoid and listening to too much hype. I actually can't wait to get away from london and upto manchester now. Cheers for your replies :biggrin:
Reply 9
bex57
Thanks for putting my mind as ease. I suppose every city has its 'rough areas', and manchester seems to have got such a bad press lately. I think i'm just being paranoid and listening to too much hype. I actually can't wait to get away from london and upto manchester now. Cheers for your replies :biggrin:

You won't have any problems at all, Oxford Road is very safe and is a busy main road (the biggest bus corridor in Europe) just hope you have double glazing in your room!! as the bus service runs 24 hours a day virtualy.

You should also enjoy the hospitialy from us northerners, just don't use the words north scum out loud and you will be fine :tongue:
Reply 10
Cheers mate. I have heard that the die-hard-locals don't really like southerners, esp. those with a cockney accent! I live on a main road at the mo with buses running into central london so it should be like a home from home really (well at least i hope so!). i know it won't be anywhere near as busy as oxford road but at least i'll be prepared. Thanks again, and u truly are amazing! :wink:
Reply 11
ull be fine as long as u dont venture off oxford road, head left and u head towards rusholme, there are a few student halls down that way, and to be honest i know at least 10-20 people who have been mugged, some very violently, m14 which is rusholme is the worst post code in britain for insurance purposes, i guess u get the scum from both sides coming across to rob the rich students and their cars/property.

but... although ive made it sound bad as long as u stick with at least two other people when walking late at night and dont flash ur property about ull be fine, living in london you should be streetwise enough. good luck
Reply 12
Cheers gavo, i hope you're right bout bein streetwise and all that. This may be a stupid question but out of the 10-20 peeps u know that have been mugged, how many of them were female? I've heard that men tend to be the victims of crime moreso than women? Dunno if thats true but i've lived in london all my life and have (touch wood) not yet had the misfortune of being attacked. Do u live in manchester at the mo then?
Reply 13
gavo
ull be fine as long as u dont venture off oxford road, head left and u head towards rusholme, there are a few student halls down that way, and to be honest i know at least 10-20 people who have been mugged, some very violently, m14 which is rusholme is the worst post code in britain for insurance purposes, i guess u get the scum from both sides coming across to rob the rich students and their cars/property.

but... although ive made it sound bad as long as u stick with at least two other people when walking late at night and dont flash ur property about ull be fine, living in london you should be streetwise enough. good luck

I've walked through Moss Side many times during the day and been through rougly 10,000 times on the bus, I have not once encountered a problem there. The area is heavily policed, the golden rule is just keep of the council estates in these areas.
Hey all.
I'm hopefully coming to Manchester this year i live in quite a rural area at the mo so all ur posts have scared me a little.
Just wondering if anyone can tell me more about Cambridge halls?
Reply 15
Manchester is a fine city to live in. I lived there last year during my first year and I'm moving back again on the 4th Sept. I live on Hathersage Road, just off Oxford Road near Whitworth Park and the Art Gallery. If you stay on Oxford Road and out of the Park then you'll be fine. Oxford Road itself is covered almost full length by CCTV.

Rusholme/Longsight is dodgy, though name a place on the outskirts of a major city that isn't.
Well i'll be off to Salford so stop worrying about places being rough!! They are rarely as bad as people make out.
My insurance is the Man Met... but from what ive heard if I do end up going there, theres not a chance i'll be able to get in to Uni halls... bah
Reply 17
Heather_the_nun
Well i'll be off to Salford so stop worrying about places being rough!! They are rarely as bad as people make out.
My insurance is the Man Met... but from what ive heard if I do end up going there, theres not a chance i'll be able to get in to Uni halls... bah

Salford also has a nice green campus although I admit some parts of Salford are like the coronation street stereotype

Some pictures I took in the winter

http://www.robertson-i.co.uk/salford/salford1.jpg
http://www.robertson-i.co.uk/salford/salford2.jpg
http://www.robertson-i.co.uk/salford/salford3.jpg

And now for the stereotypical salford

http://www.robertson-i.co.uk/salford/salford4.jpg

I suppose MMU has a tiny bit of greenery at All Saints.

Latest

Trending

Trending